Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

spark plug wire shorting out

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 04:05 PM
Default RE: spark plug wire shorting out

It took me way longer than 30-Minutes to replace my wires. The Caps on the Firewall side were near impossible to break loose after being baked-on for four years plus. I had to pay hell to get the wire hangers opened; too.

All in all, it took me several hours of going it alone to get my Plugs and Wires Changed. I know it will take a lot less time next time because I took precautions to lube everything I have to undo the next time ... but, even with having the way all prepped with AntiSeize and Dielectric Grease ... I'd say, for the novice ... 2 Hours; minumum.

Old 03-25-2008, 05:26 PM

ORIGINAL: mickey

i owuld sugest jsut replacing the plug wires....
Well I would have given it a shot but since its the shop's fault that they routed them wrong and they shorted out they are going to replace them for free so I mise well just let them do it.

Old 03-25-2008, 05:35 PM

You'd do well to go to AutoZone and buy yourself a set of High-Performance Sperk Plug Wires and have the technician use those wires instead of Stock Wires. The High-Performance Wires wont "Leak" from one wire to the next and won't "Leak" to Ground if they are too close or laying on the Block or some metal part of the engine.

I got a set of Bosch Wires with stainless steel cores for $35.00 ... supposedly Racing-type Wires and lifetime guaranteed!

Old 03-25-2008, 09:24 PM

i did the same thing but you also dont need those unless your runnign over 400hp on our cars they have proven it tha tthe OEM wires are actually better then the race versions .
it is on zzp's site abotu this but it is up to yall i persannlly did it becuse i like the quality of bosch. btu this a personall deal not a have to.
if he is worried about cash the others a few bucks cheaper and still easy enough to route the same as the factory and to fit in the loom etc..
Mine dont fit in the factory loom but i had clips etc. here to makre them look nice and still go near the factory routeing.