New Member Area New to Monte Carlo Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

Spark Plug Wire Heat Shield

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 01:18 PM
Cool Spark Plug Wire Heat Shield

Does anybody make a tool for pulling the Spark Plug Wire Heat Shields off my 3.8 engine? I had a heck of a time on the back side even with the engine tilted forward.

Old 03-20-2012, 01:37 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

what spark plug wire heat shields?

Old 03-20-2012, 02:33 PM

Monte Of The Month -- October 2012
3 Year Member

I found a cheap tool from o'reilly auto parts but it didn't work at all.. Actually ended up breaking it right away. Just pull on them and twist a little. Might take a while if they've never been changed. Spent about an hour just trying to get the rear ones off my Monte when I did header install.

Old 03-21-2012, 07:35 AM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 01 Monte SS
I found a cheap tool from o'reilly auto parts but it didn't work at all.. Actually ended up breaking it right away. Just pull on them and twist a little. Might take a while if they've never been changed. Spent about an hour just trying to get the rear ones off my Monte when I did header install.

I had a heck of a time getting the rear sheilds off. I finally did. They wouldn't budge. I have big hands and even though I tilted the engine forward I still couldn't get in there.
I have the 2004 Dale JR. supercharged model. I changed to a 3.4 pulley, changed to a K&N cold air, 3" off road stainless steel downpipe and a tweaked PCM. I had to go with colder plugs and a 180 deg thermostat. Hauls butt now!!

Old 03-21-2012, 07:38 AM
Default Heat sheilds

Originally Posted by trewyn15
what spark plug wire heat shields?
My 3.8 engine has metal tubes protecting my plugs and boots from heat. I never come across this before and don't want to do it again!

Old 03-21-2012, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by 01 Monte SS
How hard was it to put the headers on?

Old 03-21-2012, 08:08 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012

I don't know about anyone elses Monte w/3.8 but the heat shields on mine are held in place by the base of the spark plug. In order to remove them you remove the spark plug.

Old 03-21-2012, 10:40 AM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013

Originally Posted by 03SSLE
I don't know about anyone elses Monte w/3.8 but the heat shields on mine are held in place by the base of the spark plug. In order to remove them you remove the spark plug.
My plug wires have a metal shield right on the wire. It fits right over the boot. I think GM may have had a TSB about this. I cant seem to find it now.

Old 03-21-2012, 10:06 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

I had this problem with a 3800 in a Bonneville helping a friend. My final answer (as we were changing plugs AND wires, so damage to the wire was a non-issue).

Get vice grips, grab the small amount of exposed rubber plug boot sticking out of the metal heat shield. With the vice grips on tight, twist the boot side-to-side as much as you can WHILE pulling it out. Worked like a champ for me.

When putting the new plug wires on, make sure to put enough die-electric grease (helps prevent this issue in the future).

Old 03-27-2012, 11:43 PM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2009
2009 Monte Of The Year

there's a spring on the end of the metal tube that catch on to the spark plug that's probably why it's kinda hard pulling out. i threw the metal boot sleeves away when i used to have my monte and bought a nylon sleeve boot protector. keep the boot cool not heat soak like metal one plus it's easier when changing new plugs. also don't forget to use some spark plug grease when changing new plugs, make the boots come off easy next time you have to change spark plugs.

Quick Reply: Spark Plug Wire Heat Shield