Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Spark Plug change

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 05:03 PM
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Spark Plug change

Now, I plan to change my spark plugs, I want to use AC delco Platnum or Iradium, guess that it is. But I have. Ever done it before, but I hear it is easy, are you recommended to detach the battery before you try? Something about blowing a fuse, right? Are their any special tools that I need to use to accomplish this?

Old 08-13-2012, 05:54 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2011
5 Year Member

It's an easy job. I'm not sure if they recommend disconnecting the battery, but I've never done that before, and I've changed the plugs/wires plenty of times in my Monte with no issues.

The only thing is that I DON'T recommend using platinum plugs. They're too expensive, you don't gap them, and copper plugs are better for our engines anyways. If you want some good plugs that I use to use in my Monte when I was NA, and I also use these in my 03 Malibu (3100 v6) check these out: NGK - NGK Spark Plug #

Gap those at .060" and you're all set. You can get a spark plug socket to make the install a little easier too if you want. Otherwise, the job is very straightforward.

Old 08-13-2012, 06:02 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2011
Monte Of The Month -- April 2014
5 Year Member

I changed the plugs on the Deuce no need to disconnect the battery was medium easy but I had the valve cover off the rear bank. I used AC/Delco iradium

Old 08-13-2012, 06:40 PM

Thanks guys, I was wonder

Old 08-13-2012, 06:42 PM

If it was an easy thing to do, I am glad I did not buy them already I am gonna tackle it tomorrow.

Old 08-13-2012, 07:48 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

You can also pull the engine forward, just pull off the dogbones, that makes things 100x easier.

Old 08-13-2012, 07:59 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

- No need to disconnect the battery.
- I recommend AC Delco plugs, I believe the 2000+ GMs used irridiums. The ONLY real difference with Platinums/Irridiums vs Copper is that Plats and Irrids estimate lasting 100,000, coppers don't last as long.
- Do NOT use BOSCH plugs (wires are fine, but NOT plugs).
- My wife's '05 Impala that has a 3400 v6, I put NGK platinums in (and for the record, the FACTORY plugs that came out with 150,000 miles form the previous owner had AC Delco on the ceramic but NGK scribed on the banding). I just put the same NGK Plats in my '94 Grand Am 3100 v6 not even a month ago and I'm preparing to put them in my new '02 Grand Am GT 3400. Locally AC Delco copper runs me a little over $2 (plats and irrids are $699+ locally). I got the NGK plats from RockAuto.com, paid $2.30 a plug and like $5 in shipping + a discount code.
- Also I know some people talk about "rocking the engine forward", the 3400 DEFINITELY does NOT require that. I can do the back plugs of a w-body by touch (part of that is from working on 3100/3400s for so long). If you NEED a visual of the rear plugs, remove the two nuts and two bolts (and any wire clips) attached to the bracket holding the coils and ICM, then just flop that setup forward. You'll have a GREAT visual of it all (that' how I have to do it in the '94 Grand Am n-body, no room for my arms).
- Make sure to use a dab of die-electric grease in both boots of the new wires. Helps protect from moisture AND makes them easier to pop off in the future.
- A dab of Anti-Seize is also good on the threads of the new plugs (does not take much). Again, helps in the future!
- Lastly, take your time. Do one plug and one wire at a time. As you remove a wire, compare it's length to the new set and replace it.

If you remember what cylinder the plugs came from (lay them out in an order), you should see them worn about the same. If one looks vastly different then the others, it could be a sign of a problem.

Old 10-11-2012, 11:42 PM

I plan on changing my spark plugs this Saturday. I bought Bosch though and it says above not to use them? How come? The guy at the auto part store looked stuff up on his computer and told me Bosch came factory on my 96 Monte LS. Which my sisters boyfriend did tell me that AC Delco should have been my factory plug. At the store though they told me Bosch fine wire would work great in my car and they were only $1 more than the Auto Lite. Is that ok? Also I'm taking it to his house to change them and he lives about 15 mins. away from me. How long should we let it sit before we change them? It's been cold here in central pa lately and he said he let his Oldsmobile (which has the same motor in it mine has, 3.1) sit for an hour and then changed his no problems. He said with how cold it's been it shouldn't have to sit very long.

Old 10-12-2012, 02:35 AM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013

I would get ac delco plugs. That should be the plugs that came stock in your car. Oh and people have hadd a lot of trouble with bosch plugs right out of the box. I have heard of 2 different people not including maniac.

Old 10-12-2012, 09:20 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member

ALWAYS:
AC delcos !!!!!!!!
(Recommended)

Bosch plugs totally suck and have a high failure rate!
There also not "standard" equiptment ....
You cant always believe what the "Autoparts" counter guy tells you!
Hes like a cashier at the grocery store...That send you to the wrong isle!
Here at this forum....
All the responses are from "real hands on" experience!...
and be dbly sure to check all the spark plug gaps...always!

Quick Reply: Spark Plug change