Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Running hot

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 11:46 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
Bosch are known to not work great with W-Body cars.

Your problem could just be those plugs...
Second that. I've had some first hand experience with BOSCH plugs, they suck! Sometimes they are bad out of box, other times they may last 6 months and you start having mis-fires...

BOSCH wire sets have never given me problems, just the plugs.

Old 06-13-2012, 04:46 PM

SERIOUSLY???!! My MC has had the same ones for 120,000 miles wires and plugs, I guess I shouldn't have changed them, because they said they were still in pretty good shape for that mileage. But I do respect your opinion and will call the shop that changed them as I just had it done prior to this issue......Thanks!!!!!!

Old 06-13-2012, 05:49 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

They might have been ACDelco, that is what was stock.

Old 06-13-2012, 06:39 PM

My wires are Bosch, original would they have used a combination? Just want to know so I know if I need to come down on my regular maintenance folks......

Old 06-13-2012, 09:36 PM

10 Year Member

Original plugs would be AC Delcos (or in the case of my wife's Impala that we bought with 150K on it, still had the originals, they said AC Delco on the ceramic, but had NGK scribed on the metal banding around the ceramic, they were re-branded by AC). I've seen original wires that say AC Delco, Delphi and I think Packard.
But a GM would never have come factory with BOCSH plugs and I highly doubt BOSCH wires (not even re-branded).

You car should have also came with iridium plugs. They are stated to be good up to 100,000 miles (they can go longer, again, my wife's Impala).

I have only been harsh about BOSCH plugs because I've seen enough have issues for myself, friends and family, I just won't use them ever again unless it was OEM for the car (again, for GMs, not the case). But I'm not bashing all BOSCH products. They are good in other markets (like plug wires).

Old 06-14-2012, 07:02 AM

Bosch plugs suck. If a GM or Chrysler comes in with a set and a misfire/driveabilty concern, I won't work on it until I put a set of factory plugs in it. It usually fixes the problem 99% of the time.

Bosch actually saw my comments about their plugs on another forum and sent me a set of their "new and improved" iridium plugs for free. I'm still not going to use them. Easier to do the job once, right.

Old 06-14-2012, 11:33 AM

10 Year Member

Originally Posted by aussiek2000
Bosch actually saw my comments about their plugs on another forum and sent me a set of their "new and improved" iridium plugs for free. I'm still not going to use them. Easier to do the job once, right.
Well, I understand where BOSCH was coming from, send you some freebies and perhaps get improved comments from ya.

But I also understand why you have them and WON'T use them. Same reason why I have a brand new Belkin computer UPS and won't use it (after having horrible problems with 3 or more Belkin UPS units, I have written off there sure/ups or any power related product).

Hard to justify using something if your gut says "it will cause me problems down the road".

Old 06-14-2012, 05:57 PM

Trust everyones opionion but this car was bought brand new and it did come with Bosch wires and plugs. Unless they had issue at the dealership and changed them it came stocked...

Old 06-14-2012, 09:16 PM

10 Year Member

That really sounds odd. I have worked on a bunch of GMs and never saw original plugs being BOSCH. Unless they were BOSCH plugs with AC Delco stamped on them (like the NGKs I mentioned). I'm inclined to believe the dealership had a bizarre reason to change them (especially since AC Delco as I understand is owned by GM, it's there brand, so it would be strange for them to put non-AC Delco parts on for items that they make with the AC Delco name).

But, it's tough to say what the story was. Perhaps they were producing more cars then they had plugs for.... It's been known to have production issues (the old IROC Camaros were ALL supposed to say IROC on the doors, GM ran out of decals and just kept pumping those things out).

Old 06-15-2012, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by sisk
Trust everyones opionion but this car was bought brand new and it did come with Bosch wires and plugs. Unless they had issue at the dealership and changed them it came stocked...
No GM ever came with Bosch plugs.

Quick Reply: Running hot