Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Rochester carburetor troubleshooting

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 12:59 AM
Default Rochester carburetor troubleshooting

My 84 MC has a start up problem where it idles low, and smokes grey blue. I tried the sea foam today, and it seemed to remedy the problem. However, I noticed that it's almost coming back. I want to know if the computer-controlled carburetor has an automatic choke when the engine is cold. For some reason insufficient air is not burning off the fuel and idling high. What would your recommendations be and where can I find the kits to rebuild if I have to? Or am I better off looking for a refurbished carburetor? I am trying to keep the car as stock as possible.

Old 05-14-2011, 03:16 AM

Make sure your Rochester carb is electric Q-Jet, unless you took off the computer. If you stll running computer on your car, make sure the carb and dizzy box are computer compatible.

If you DO have electric Q-jet, it will be more easier you get a reman carb as TPS in these carb are extremely sensitive.

As for the Grey-Blue smoke, it usually oil burning. Keep in mind that if no one did a rebuilt on these motor, these are 26years old motor. Either the valve seal are gone, rings need to be replace, or both.

Old 05-15-2011, 08:56 PM

The carb is still computer controlled and all the original equipment is still there. I want to keep it all stock but I am having a hard time finding people who can rebuild carbs. Especially these.

Old 05-16-2011, 04:49 AM

If you really want to keep this all stock and keep the carb, you have two choice. Buy a reman carb from your local parts shop (which I don't recommend), or send your carb to reputable shop to have it rebuilt.

If you decided to have it rebuilt, just do some google search near your area to have it rebuilt.