Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

replace or rebuild the transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 11:24 AM
1 Year Member
Default replace or rebuild the transmission?

I have an 02 monte with the 3.4. The car has 144444 miles on it. The engine has about 50, 000 on it and I'm not sure about the tranny. When it is cold and the car hasnt quite warmed up it won't fully engage into 1st gear and then hesitates into 2nd. In your opinions should I get it rebuilt or replace it? I only have about $700 to put into it right now and I have a mechanic that owes me a few favors. And is there anything I could do to it to maybe beef the tranny up or make it faster while staying under my budget. Thanks guys!

Old 02-05-2013, 11:41 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Sounds more like a shift solonoid.../ I would opt for a soft rebuild... vs a full rebuild.. soft rebuild...clutches steels etc... Full/hard rebuild... drums etc...completely remove replace everything in the transaxle...
soft usual cost around $1000.00 full (hard) rebuild around $1400 to $1800.00...

Curious whens the last time you did a fluid,filter change?....
I might try that option first. I have read on GM's website that these vehicles require a hardened steel drum to alleviate failures...yet from the factory they didnt use a "hardened" Drum.... Causeing slow shifting...not allowing it to shift into drive...or takes long pauses going into reverse...(which is what happened to mine).. Consequently I had a soft rebuild done with addition of the hardened drum... I havent had any issues since..It cost me $1000.00.
Hope this helps..
Maybe someone else will chime in with more suggestions...

Old 02-05-2013, 12:01 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

You could try a pan drop, fluid filter change. I've heard on the '99+ Grand Ams (admittedly different trans) having similiar symptoms. My step-mom's being one such grand am (when it was cold it DID NOT GO, and it was a trans issue). It was handed to a shop, they said they see the issue all the time, it's the trans fluid getting sludgy. They charged my folks to change fluid and filter, problem went completely away, zero issues and that was 2-3 years ago!!

And the trans fluid/filter should be changed every 100,000 miles or sooner.

Old 02-05-2013, 12:03 PM
1 Year Member

I'm assuming (or atleast hoping) that they changed it when they replaced the engine was replaced. (I forgot to ask the original owner) either way its due.

And when its in first and doesnt fully engage the car will still move but if you step on the gas the engine just revs up. Would that still be the solonoid? And also about the soft rebuild, is that the price of parts and labor?

Old 02-08-2013, 06:42 PM

Mine was slipping on first gear sometimes. I just went ahead and got it rebuilt, I feel pretty good about it. I wouldn't replace it with a used one that's forsure.

Old 02-08-2013, 09:58 PM

my tranny slipped alot before a fluid change but to be fair my car sat in a yard for years and is on the original engine and tranny at 168k mine fixed its self once it was driven and the fluiod thickened up a lil

Old 02-09-2013, 08:14 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Soft rebuild is just useing your hard parts ...replaceing clutchs steels, hot flush, new fluid, filter and labor.. So yes.... parts and labor...

Old 02-10-2013, 11:29 AM
1 Year Member

Thanks for all the feedback guys. The last 3 days it has now started shifting way to early and almost like skipping gears I think. Although it doesnt do it constantly. Just here and there. Could this still possibly be solved with a pan drop?

Old 02-10-2013, 11:38 AM

Wouldn't hurt to try, I did that before I rebuilt my tranny but It didn't help. Hell it made it worse infact.

Last edited by D_Spear; 02-10-2013 at 11:39 AM. Reason: fix a word
Old 02-10-2013, 01:53 PM
1 Year Member

The pan is draining as we speak. Ill let you guys know

Quick Reply: replace or rebuild the transmission?