Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Rebuild or Top end kit?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 11:54 PM

Cool..thanks for the link bro. I'll try it out!! also I'm looking for a turbo charger as well but dont know what would be compatible with my mc. I'm getting there though..slowly but surly..

Old 10-15-2010, 12:01 AM

heheheh..donations. I just might if my MC would stop taking my money.

Old 10-15-2010, 08:26 PM

Hi, I'm about to do some major work to my 2000 monte carlo ss 3800 and I would like to know if a top end kit would be the best thing for it. There is a 450 hp top end kit at auto zone. Would that top end kit really give me 450 hp also???
Not sure who there told you this would work with your engine, but it definitely will not. AFAIK Autozone doesn't sell any performance parts specifically for the 3800. On top of that, 450hp is practically impossible on a NA 3800- the current record is only like 240's whp, and thats with a lot of mods. You have to think about the cubic inches of the engine- doing 1hp per cube is pretty average for a NA engine- so with 231 cubic inches- you could rightly assume that 230ish at the crankshaft is doable (say 190ish at the wheels). Then look at some other NA cars- the Enzo Ferrari does ~650hp with ~366 cubic inches or about 1.77 hp per cube; the Japanese version of the Honda S2k does 247 hp with 122 cubic inches for a ratio of about 2.02 hp per cube (running 11.7:1 compression). You're talking about doing 450 hp off of 231 cubic inches- thats a 1.9 ratio- without touching the bottom end or fundamentals of the engine, and we only have 2 valve heads with super low compression (9.4:1)- not to mention having only a fraction of the technology of the other two cars mentioned.

Or should I just do a complete rebuild with performance parts.
What is the need for a rebuild? If the bottom end of a 3800 isn't broke, there is no sense in spending money to fix it. It'll handle all the power you can throw at it as long as you keep it from knocking.

Any good performance parts that would really give me the best i could get out of my 3800?Maybe a cam or bored over block?Money is not a problem.
Bored over block gives virtually no performance gain for the money. The most I've ever seen a 3800 bored out is 0.060, and the guy sonic checked a couple blocks before he found one he was comfortable doing that on. I will admit, as far as NA power, the lack of cubic inches hurts us big time- but there is no real way around that. Boring it even .060 over is only going to give you 238.7 cubic inches (up from 231.3)- a gain of only 7.4 cubic inches (or 0.1 liters). There is a stroker kit available- but even that only gets you to 4.2L- you're still never going to get anywhere close to the larger cube muscle car engines NA.

As for suggesting performance parts- we really need more info. How much HP are you realistically expecting to make? Also, you say money is no problem- but we need some kind of budget to work with. Its easy to get $10-15k wrapped up in a powertrain real quick- but you have to think about the big picture- assuming you do other supporting mods to make the car handle the horsepower- brakes/suspension/wheels/tires/cage etc - you're quickly getting into $20-25k; add in the price of the car, and you could be in a quick Fbody, or a bolt on C5 vette for the kind of money. Obviously you've got some kind of limit on what you want to spend. That'll also help us determine what kind of power you can reliably make.

Not to mention, owning a fully built wbody with that kinda money into the engine isn't cheap or easy. Obviously you'll need a daily driver; and then you've got to think about how you're going to hook that power on the street (assuming you'll still street drive it) without slicks- and factor in transmission failures (even fully built, these transmissions aren't bullet proof).

I'll try it out!! also I'm looking for a turbo charger as well but dont know what would be compatible with my mc. I'm getting there though.
Did you look at the links posted above? Specifically take a look at ZZPerformance. Go under the engine section, and they have 3 different level of turbo kits. No need to try and buy the right turbo size, etc etc- they have bolt on kits; you just pick how much power you want to make, and bolt it on.

Last edited by bumpin96monte; 10-15-2010 at 08:31 PM.