Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Power steering fluids/ tranny ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 01:06 AM
Default Power steering fluids/ tranny ?

Is there a "cold weather" option for the pwr steeing pumps? Mine yells at me when I start it up if its below 10 degrees or so.
Also, when its cold, when I start the car (03 SS) it will "surge" a little, like it wants to move but dosent. The trans fluid is dirty, going to change that.
Last, at first start (cold again) it sounds like someone stole my air cleaner/housing? Very definite sucking sound. I checked, nobody stole it. The cars idles quiet and smooth after warming up.

Old 02-03-2008, 01:43 AM
Default RE: Power steering fluids/ tranny ?

When the Engine is that cold the Temperature Sensor will signal the Fuel Injection to run Rich until the sensor detects some semblance of an operating temperature to lower the amount of Fuel to the Combustion Chambers and not have the Engine fast-idle.

It can take a little while for the Engine's rpm's to lower when its that cold.

The Engine running at Fast Idle will have the Belt Driven systems crying out for sure as freezing-cold bearings and bushings are tight awaiting some warm-up before they quiet down.
Older Bearings and Bushings are more susceptible to making noise because their greases have had time to stiffen and be contaminated with dust and condensation.
Also, the Drive Belt might be part and parcel of the problem. A loose Belt slipping on cold Pulleys will make a screeching noise you can't mistake.

You'll get differing opinions on what to do about your Transmission Fluid being dirty.
I'll be avoiding that problem by having my Transmission serviced at 50K intervals to have fresh fluid in the Trans and Torque Converter.