Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

pcm tune/air intake?

Old 01-02-2014, 05:56 PM
dgm
1 Year Member
Default pcm tune/air intake?

Who are you using for pcm tunes...i tried zzp today but did not return calls. Ive heaed mention of Will / Overkill but no recent posts. I understand cold air intakes but a little confused as what appears to be stock air box is sealed to get outside air. I have looked at cai...wizaired....zzp.....msp. What makes these better and which is preferred...thanks

Old 01-02-2014, 09:34 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

My PCM was originally tuned by PCMforLess.com. I have been pretty happy with their tune. Since, I bought a used DHP PowrTuner and hope to completely re-tune my Monte this spring/summer to improve it some more.

Not sure I'm following your statement/question about the CAI. But I'll wing it and see if I cover what you want to know.... You may also want to look at the Air Intakes section covered in the link below (regardless of the Monte you have, the info still is the same):
https://montecarloforum.com/forum/en...p-power-46071/

You stock air box is not insulated, has baffles that cut down noise and interrupt air flow, the inlet on the stock box is also very restricted.

Take a Wizaird (which I have on my Monte). It is an insulated air box to try and shield from some of the engine heat. It also is wide open in the front and is used with a large cone filter inside. This helps the engine suck in more air, hopefully colder air. Also the Wizaird has you relocate the air temp sensor to the air box. This allows the PCM to account for the temp of the actual air the car is sucking in.

On a non-supercharged car, it's gains are more limited then a supercharged car. But I still feel it's a worth while mod. Every little improvement done adds up in the end.

Old 01-03-2014, 09:54 AM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member

Mine is custom tuned but I didn't have a choice for as much as I've done. Zzp don't answer calls best bet is email them.

Maniac covered the cai question perfectly! (Don't ever buy the k&n cai for these cars there junk)

Old 01-03-2014, 07:09 PM
dgm
1 Year Member

thanks maniac for the indepth reply, was very helpful.. pcmforless is now pcmofnc - i got an email reply today that they will call monday. Steve from zzp called me late today and discussed a few things.. initially i was just considering modding it up n/a but being a former buick turbo owner(1985 WH1 T-type converted intercooled 3.8 - best 10.97... i feel a supercharger mod in next 6 months or so and he suggested no hv3/rockers. I just got an email from will/overkill motorsports is still going also and peaks my interest on pcm tune. thanks turbo monte for reply also, love the turbo setup-maybe someday. if i thought i could dip into the 13's i would stay na but doesnt seem possible.

Old 01-03-2014, 11:54 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

I believe PCMforLess is the "parent company" (go to their site, they list 2 physical addresses and one of those is the address linked with PCMofNC.com). When i used PCMforLess, I worked with Kelly Korbas. No issues, Kelly was VERY helpful with everything.

Sounds like you have some things to figure out before you get a tune. Happy Modding