Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

overheating gremlin

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by Cowboy6622
I think it's that radiator, since it was replaced. The aftermarket radiators are $hit for lack of a better term. They should not even be allowed to sell them. With that '74 F-100 I was working on, I had to upgrade to one of the radiators for a larger engine and use flex hoses. I don't know where your'e going to find a radiator that works, but I think wherever they got that thing from is where the whole problem lies.

Now I know a lot of people swear an '06 Chevy is a lot differnet than a '74 Furd truck. Well, the same company makes the radiators. And I think that they are making the radiators cheaper which makes them less efficient. That's my guess anyway. Without starting to spend money, you won't know.

As far as the sensor goes... never heard of one of those sensors being bad. Could happen, anything can, but I think you've got a real problem here. You say you smell antifreeze, so don't even worry about trying to hook up a manual gauge.

Find out where that radiator came from. Find one in a junk yard in an Impala or Monte Carlo and see if that doens't fix your problem.... get a true factory part, not an OEM reproduction.
you might be right. does anyone know what came factory in these cars? i found one on summit and a few on rock auto.com. Is AC DELCO the preferred brand?

Old 09-07-2011, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by Cowboy6622
Sometimes extreme overheating will screw up the thermostat for good. Sounds quirky, but yeah. I'm thinking maybe the radiator is damaged somehow? Not leaking, but damaged... that or replaced after the accident and the newer one isn't as good. Had that issue with a '74 Ford.... the aftermarket radiators would overheat over about 45 mph. Hit the highway and watch the gauge fly. Could be an inefficient radiator if it was replaced. Are your fans working properly, pulling hte amount of air htey should be?

And when you said "overheating gremlin" I thought you had one of these that was overheating:

deja vuuu omg my mom had a gremlin the EXACT same color except it had cragars and didnt have the stripe XD

Old 09-08-2011, 02:09 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I'd imagine that radiator would have been an AC Delco yes. CAll salvage yards and see if you can find a good radiator laying around..... that way, you know it came from the factory. Those radiators aren't old enough to have corrosiion and leaks I wouldn't htink.

Try testing this... take it around the block and start out running about 30 mph. See if it gets hot. Then go up to 40, then 50, and see where it gets hot. Oh, nad let it sit and idle in your yard for about 30 minutes too and see if it overheats. Also, once it gets hot, take a garden hose and spray water on the radiator. If it cools off quickly while spraying water on it, then it's most likely the radiator. That's how the issues I've had worked out. Plus, drive the car at like midnight while it's really cool and see how much slower it overheats.... If it sits and runs fine without overheating, and overheats over a certain speed, then it's the radaitor if it's like my experience.

Last edited by Cowboy6622; 09-08-2011 at 05:15 PM.
Old 09-19-2011, 03:59 PM

back with an update guys. thanks for all the tips so far.

after over heating a couple of times, i checked the fluid, it was really low, so low i had to put a whole canister of dex-cool in it. topped everything off and drove it. It stayed nice an cool, i thought that solved the problem, maybe the shop forgot to top it off.

but i was wrong.

after letting it sit, i noticed it was leaking, there was a pool of coolant by the passenger front wheel. i drove it a little and the levels of the coolant went down and there was a consistent puddle every time it sat.

took it in today and the mechanics are now telling me the water pump has a bad bearing and its causing the radiator to over flow through a "release hose" or "excess hose" i cant remember what he said.

so basically i need to fork over another 400+ for a water pump, coolant flush and thermostat. im freaking pissed!!!

is this something i can do myself? ive worked on alot of old cars (i know its not the same thing)

any advice is much appreciated!

Old 09-19-2011, 05:28 PM

is it true that exposed dex-cool onto hoses or even the engine block will being to deteriorate the engine and hose?

according to the mechanic the coolant in squirting out from the escape hose onto my under-hood components,

Old 09-20-2011, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by chuco61
is it true that exposed dex-cool onto hoses or even the engine block will being to deteriorate the engine and hose?

according to the mechanic the coolant in squirting out from the escape hose onto my under-hood components,
anyone have any insights?

Old 09-20-2011, 11:15 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Not really. You just have to flush dexcool every so often to keep it fresh. Just like all of the other fluids.

Don't follow their 5-year 100k guideline. I do it every other year.

Hoses can deteriorate on their own over time. Extreme heats, etc.

Old 09-20-2011, 11:23 AM

what does my pump look like? ive come across two different kinds that are matching for my car.

i either come up with this one
2006-2007 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Water Pump - A1 Cardone 58-672

or this one
Parts Bin - Auto Parts and Accessories Catalog - gmb1307290 2006 chevrolet monte_carlo water_pump gmb - 2006 Chevrolet GMB

Old 09-20-2011, 12:37 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Since you say you have an LS you obviously don't have the v8. So it's the first link.

Old 09-20-2011, 01:03 PM

s#it i didn't even notice that. the mechanics we're telling me that the part was a huge piece that crossed the front of the motor. Although their price quote was correct, the part they described didnt make sense to me.

thanks!

Quick Reply: overheating gremlin