Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

overheating gremlin

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 11:27 AM
Default overheating gremlin

Hi,

i did a search on the forum and only found 1 post specific to my vehicle and issue. i have a 2006 Monte LS (not sure of the engine size, sorry) that is have overheating issues.

I recently got in a wreck and everything has since been repaired.

The problem is that the heat gauge slowly creeps up, sometimes i shut off the engine and the fans are still going. Once, when i turned the car off and then put the key to ACC only, the gauge was in the red and the dash read "over heating, shut engine off"

ive never had this issue and am trying to trouble shoot it before it gets worse. Any places i can start?

Old 09-07-2011, 11:39 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Could be the sensor that is going bad. Is the car actually getting this hot?

Old 09-07-2011, 11:44 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

does it do it more durring street driving VS Highway driving?

cool down any when engine rpm anywhere between 2-5k rpm?

was the cooling system damaged in the accident?

you may have air in your system causing this issue

Old 09-07-2011, 11:49 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

on the 3500 engine the car should burp itself of air. I don't think that is a problem with their new cooling system design.

Unless the thermostat itself is broken.

Old 09-07-2011, 12:45 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Sometimes extreme overheating will screw up the thermostat for good. Sounds quirky, but yeah. I'm thinking maybe the radiator is damaged somehow? Not leaking, but damaged... that or replaced after the accident and the newer one isn't as good. Had that issue with a '74 Ford.... the aftermarket radiators would overheat over about 45 mph. Hit the highway and watch the gauge fly. Could be an inefficient radiator if it was replaced. Are your fans working properly, pulling hte amount of air htey should be?

And when you said "overheating gremlin" I thought you had one of these that was overheating:

Old 09-07-2011, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
Could be the sensor that is going bad. Is the car actually getting this hot?
where is the sensor located? is it an easy swap? does it control the fans?

What do you mean "is the car actually getting this hot?"?

i can smell radiator fluid when i get out of the car, i dont have an after market gauge so, im not sure what temp its actually running at.

Old 09-07-2011, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by Budsjlm
does it do it more durring street driving VS Highway driving?

cool down any when engine rpm anywhere between 2-5k rpm?

was the cooling system damaged in the accident?

you may have air in your system causing this issue
i've noticed it more during street driving, that the gauge will creep up, then go back down, then back up.

Yes, the cooling system was damaged and the radiator had to be replaced.

i thought about the air, should i burp it? run the car with the cap off.

Old 09-07-2011, 08:58 PM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

If the damage was in the front I'd take it back to the shop that fixed it &have em make it right, that is if they replaced those parts & all this started after the accident

Old 09-07-2011, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by Cowboy6622
Sometimes extreme overheating will screw up the thermostat for good. Sounds quirky, but yeah. I'm thinking maybe the radiator is damaged somehow? Not leaking, but damaged... that or replaced after the accident and the newer one isn't as good. Had that issue with a '74 Ford.... the aftermarket radiators would overheat over about 45 mph. Hit the highway and watch the gauge fly. Could be an inefficient radiator if it was replaced. Are your fans working properly, pulling hte amount of air htey should be?

And when you said "overheating gremlin" I thought you had one of these that was overheating:

im not sure if the fans are pulling as much air, i dont know how to check that. At what point should they kick on? I'm not sure if the thermostat was changed out, i'll have to call the mechanic.

HAHA! i think i'd post that on another forum. the oldest i ride in is a 55 gmc, but she doesnt have gremlins.

thanks for all the feed back fellas! i really appreciate the help. I love this car and want to get it running right again!

Old 09-07-2011, 09:10 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I think it's that radiator, since it was replaced. The aftermarket radiators are $hit for lack of a better term. They should not even be allowed to sell them. With that '74 F-100 I was working on, I had to upgrade to one of the radiators for a larger engine and use flex hoses. I don't know where your'e going to find a radiator that works, but I think wherever they got that thing from is where the whole problem lies.

Now I know a lot of people swear an '06 Chevy is a lot differnet than a '74 Furd truck. Well, the same company makes the radiators. And I think that they are making the radiators cheaper which makes them less efficient. That's my guess anyway. Without starting to spend money, you won't know.

As far as the sensor goes... never heard of one of those sensors being bad. Could happen, anything can, but I think you've got a real problem here. You say you smell antifreeze, so don't even worry about trying to hook up a manual gauge.

Find out where that radiator came from. Find one in a junk yard in an Impala or Monte Carlo and see if that doens't fix your problem.... get a true factory part, not an OEM reproduction.

Last edited by Cowboy6622; 09-07-2011 at 09:13 PM.

Quick Reply: overheating gremlin