Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Was out bombing arounf the junk yard & found something ... (L67)

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 03:06 PM
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Was out bombing arounf the junk yard & found something ... (L67)

I found a 2001 Buick Park Avenue Ultra Supercharged. Yup, a pretty much complete L67. The belt was even still on.

Oooh, the temptation(s) ...

Anyhow, one of the quick questions I have is how can I find out if the coils present are actually L67 coils that I can slap on my L36? There has to be a way of testing them, ... with a muti-meter, etc. (?) The reason that I ask, & did not just ****** them right up is becuase someone had come along & taken something underneath them, & unbolted them, in whole (all 3), & sat them aside. So I do not know if they are coils from that car, or from another car that someone scavenged & just laid there on there way through. I picked them up as a "set", & lifted each pack to see if there were numbers on them, nope, just dual spade "slots" ... & a blue strip of weird plastic. Now the bottom of the metal plate that all three of the packs were mouted had a number - (xxxx xxxx xxxx) - It was "7139 OH22 7160" ... I was in a hurry, so maybe the OH was a DH. It was printed in dark blue, & almots in dot-matrix printing style/form.

Even the engine cover was there, & in great condition ... & the engine noise suppression material was in great condition. Anyone looking for one in CNY, etc.? Or anything else from this blown V6?

I would think about the throttle body, but I do not want to get involved with a tune, etc. right now. Slapping one of those on requires one, yes?

Old 02-20-2012, 06:44 PM
Zen

Was this the u-pull on meyers rd.
I seen a silver one with the supercharger still on an there was on in the far back green I think still all there.That was sat morning

Old 02-20-2012, 06:46 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I don't know the part numbers, but the easiest way to check is look at the bottom where the coil plugs into the ICM.

The L67 coils have a blue plug. If it's not a blue plug, you don't want it. I've seen grey for non-L67 coils (L36/3100/3400).

Old 02-20-2012, 06:56 PM

10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Zeke
I would think about the throttle body, but I do not want to get involved with a tune, etc. right now. Slapping one of those on requires one, yes?
OH, I just noticed this part of your post. The only thing to my knowledge that requires a tune with an L67 TB is if you port the inlet. Otherwise no tune required.

When dealing with the L67 TB, you have 2 issues:
1. - The mating surface to the UIM does not match (I did a lot of work to grind one to match).
2. - You need to oblong the 3 bolts that hold it to the UIM to make the TB mount a little higher (not by much, but enough for the vac connection and coolant port to line up).

Here's my experience doing on:

The main reason to go to an L67 TB is to go from a 65mm throat to a 69mm throat (the Stage 1 HV TB from ZZP has a 68mm throat).
Regardless of L67/L36, they use the same MAF. The '00+ TBs used a MAF hump. The '97-'99 commonly used a MAF that has a MAF post in the inlet of the TB (I opted for that style TB when I did mine as I wanted to port the inlet. I have to do some fancy work to make my MAF fit and seal into the '97-'99 TB.

Check my website, I have pics and stuff to help.

Remember, you change anything on the inlet of the TB, you need a tune as you change how the MAF reads the data it receives. So a '01 L67 TB is a perfect donor for playing on a '00+ L36 Monte since you don't have to mess with making your stock MAF fit (just be mindful of the mating surfaces).

Also, all accessories on the L67 TB are the same as the matching year L36.

Old 02-20-2012, 10:52 PM

@The_Maniac: Yeah, the [to me] wierd "blue plastic" on the bottom clearly was what you are describing as the blue plug.

Is there a way of checking to see if they are functioning properly ... I mean before I buy them? If anyone knows off-hand ... There has to be a way with ohms or resistance to check them, etc. ... Would hate to get them, install, & get all sorts of problems ...

Old 02-20-2012, 10:53 PM

@zenloser: PM'd

Old 02-21-2012, 06:12 AM

10 Year Member

Zeke, here's the best thing I've ever found (I have yet to try) for testing the coils:
View topic - Comprehensive guide for troubleshooting Ignition coils : PontiacBonnevilleClub.com

FYI - I would not spend much more then $25-$30 for the L67 coil mod. Just my opinion.

Old 02-22-2012, 05:22 AM

$25-30? Damn scrap yard wants $20 a pop for each coil, ANY COIL). That's $60, if my college math is still spot-on ...

Old 02-22-2012, 06:09 AM

10 Year Member

Just giving you my recommendation. It's a mod with some but not much effect (hence why I recommend that price, get it for that price and you did very well).

I bought a set from a guy on ClubGP.com for $30 shipped.

If the yard you went to is willing to negotiate prices, see if they might be willing to do something on the price. Most people working a yard won't recognize the difference with an L67 coil to any other coil, so you can always say $20 is a bit high as you can get brand new replacement coils from the parts store for $20-$25 (granted these are non-OEM, non-L67 coils).

Old 02-29-2012, 07:12 PM

I bought l67 coil packs w/icm for $20

Quick Reply: Was out bombing arounf the junk yard & found something ... (L67)