Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Intake Build: Novi Paxton Migration

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2021, 10:33 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
Thanks for posting, this is cool to look at!

I hadn't heard about these in probably a decade, and now I see two people actively playing with CSCs (theres a big one on the FB 3800 right now too).

Curious- it looks non IC'D, what do you do about charge cooling? Just run a huge pulley?

Not sure if you know, but any idea why it has a divided outlet? I've never seen a CSC with that before.
I bet the CSC build you are tracking on FB is Terrell and his red Grand Prix known as "Hell Boi". I met with Terrell shortly after him and a friend of his got a pair of Novi kits. I took him for a ride in the black Monte.
This is currently non IC'ed. There is currently no cooling (charge pipe goes from the Novi into the throttle body). It is running a 4in accessory pulley. I am trying to see about having a 3.75in pulley made (as the black Monte was running knock free). Just some stuff to play with.

As for the divided outlet, I have no clue. I have not researched that (nor have I consulted with other Novi owners to see if that is typical).

I may not be as fast as Terrell with updates, but I hope to make steady progress (at least a lot of prep work at the moment and then around spring finish the swap over). I am faced with some problems when it comes to working on this project at the moment. The black Monte is parked outside under a car cover and the blue Monte is in my sister's garage (to which I cannot disable the car and hog the garage unless it is back to working in the same day I start a project). Plus, I am trying to prep a couple nice things for the black Monte (as I transition the Novi off of it). Heck, I junk yard picked a second fuel rail so I did not have to pull the current one off the black Monte.

Old 12-17-2021, 10:39 PM

10 Year Member

IMO the unicorn aspect he mentioned is the best part. You pull up to just about any car show (outside of a major nationwide 3800 meet) and you're practically guaranteed to have the only CSC there.
Heck, when I did the L26 aluminum UIM swap, I loved watching from a distance at car shows and see people look confused at what they were looking at lol. The Novi looks like a turbo and will probably confuse people again lol. I honestly wonder how many of this Novi kits still exist anymore. It is definitely something to be unique. And I hope I can get this both looking and running good this spring.

Old 12-23-2021, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
Heck, when I did the L26 aluminum UIM swap, I loved watching from a distance at car shows and see people look confused at what they were looking at lol. The Novi looks like a turbo and will probably confuse people again lol.
That's the best, and IMO my favorite kind of stuff to look at at car shows. I absolutely love the LS, but I'll admit its really made the car show scene so boring when 50%+ of the cars basically have the same general engine. Makes it that much more refreshing to see something like a csc 3800.

Old 12-25-2021, 10:53 AM

10 Year Member

That's the best, and IMO my favorite kind of stuff to look at at car shows. I absolutely love the LS, but I'll admit its really made the car show scene so boring when 50%+ of the cars basically have the same general engine. Makes it that much more refreshing to see something like a csc 3800.
Rare and/or unique in the car show world is always a fun thing. And this Novi setup is definitely pretty rare. I am still thrilled to have the black Monte that Mike put that Novi into.

Old 12-25-2021, 11:07 AM

10 Year Member

Some may or may not know, but the RWD F-Body 3800 (Camaro and Firebird) to my knowledge is the ONLY 3800 in the U.S. with aluminum valve covers. Years ago, I put aluminum valve covers on my blue Monte. I admit, when I got the valve covers, someone else had refinished them (so I just slapped them on the car). With moving the Novi to the blue car, I hear there is a need to block the original PCV (between the intake and throttle body) and use a PCV breather. I still have some unanswered questions on this. Such as, since I run a L26 UIM, could I just run a breather on the PCV stack. So, I am simply preparing for a breather on the valve cover. *IF* I need one, I want keep my custom oil cap on the front valve cover. Since I don't know how to finish a valve cover like the ones I am using, I am preparing two f-body covers that use the oil cap. I got one online and the other I pulled myself (what a pain, because of where GM put a engine lift bracket).
I don't have the F-body angled cap extension, for now just generic plastic caps.

Sadly, I have no good before pics. The one cover on the top side was black with gunk all over it. The inside of both covers was caked in old oil (shades of black and brown). I am actually pretty surprised. Cleaned these with Purple Power, LA's Totally Awesome and Simple Green. Sprayed and agitated with a few different brushes and rinsed off with hot water. Insides look almost clean enough to eat off of. Top sides still need work. But I plan to used some tools to give a "brushed" metal look (like I did on the upper intake on the blue Monte).

Old 12-25-2021, 09:05 PM

I take it you don't want to run an external PCV system? My whipple setup blocked all the stock PCV off, so I ended up tapping both valve covers and running it all externally including catch cans on both loops.

Old 12-26-2021, 11:30 AM

10 Year Member

To be honest, I am not sure what all options I have for a PCV setup. I know plugging the stock PCV and a breather on a valve cover works (it's what Mike originally did with the black Monte). I get into the questions "is that really required and if so, why".

Such as, what problems happen if I keep my current PCV. Currently, I am running a L26 UIM with a L67 throttle body, I have fitting on the side of the L67 throttle body (before the throttle plate, after the MAF sensor) that is connected to the PCV stack on the top of the L26 UIM. Could this work out fine? Or does having the Novi and boost create a problem for this PCV system? Does the boost result in not just a problem for the factory PCV system but also requires a bigger venting system, hence a valve cover breather (as that is a wider opening to vent vs the factory stack on the L26 UIM). Does any of these issues change with the addition of a Blow Off Valve (currently not on the black Monte, but will be used on the blue Monte)?

To plug the factory PCV, I have to cap the PCV stack on the UIM and I have to cap the location where I have a fitting on the throttle body. If all I need is a breather on the PCV stack and that solves things, then I am more than happy to basically do just that. I could even move the breather to a location to be more pleasing for appearance.

Below are pics about the current configuration. One of the things I loved about it, it is simple and almost looks like something the factory would have done.

Old 01-10-2022, 07:59 PM

10 Year Member

This is not much of an update.... I am waiting on some things with powder coating and the weather sucks (and the black Monte is outside, so, eh, not much more work there at the moment).

So, I love stainless hardware. It's clean and never rusts. As I work to migrate the Novi Paxton to the blue Monte, the hardware is being refreshed with stainless. The cog in the pictures below has side panels held in with screws. I could not find them locally. I worked with a company years ago called AlloyBoltz. I sent them one and they matched it to stainless. So I switched them around no to stainless.

For the record, I think the blue Monte has a small fortune in stainless hardware on it lol.

Old 01-10-2022, 08:11 PM

10 Year Member

OH, and another topic. So I have gotten curious "why do people block off the factory PCV and put a valve cover breather on instead" when dealing with boost before the throttle body (such as a turbo). I was wondering if the issue is that boost prevents the factory PCV system from working OR if the engine needs to release more volume.
I watched this video and even though this guy is dealing with a non-GM, the logic seems to make sense. EXCEPT, he keeps the factory PCV system in place. He mentioned a valve cover breather that uses a check valve in it. This means it ONLY releases pressured gases and does not take any extra in unmetered air into the engine. That being said, I am tempted to give this a try on the blue Monte and see how it pans out.

Here is the breather (with the check valve):
https://www.c-f-m.com/performancepar...S7-766p230.htm

And here is the video:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=C8FeYQQBXyM

Old 01-11-2022, 12:29 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I still run my factory PCV set up. The general consensus seems to be that with a turbo set up one has to block theirs off. Matt kept it on my build, says Ford, Gm etc. turbo systems all have PCV setups. I do have a catch can set up (see welded braided line connection at valve cover,) but like you inclined, no unsightly breather cap that spews oil out all over the valve cover. So if you can, keep it on yours too.

Last edited by ZIPPY02; 01-11-2022 at 12:44 AM.

Quick Reply: Intake Build: Novi Paxton Migration