Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

6th Gen ('00-'05): New Supercharger/Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 08:18 PM
1 Year Member

Yea I hear yall on that price being a bit much. But with everything that has gone wrong I am not skimping out. I want it done right so I will pay a little bit more. And I would do a GEN V but then I have to do computer work and new throttle body. Prefer not to have to do any computer work except a quick street tune cause thats all it will need. Also I will not buy a used one. I have bought used parts before and have always had them fail. Thats my luck lol.

Old 02-09-2013, 08:57 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

You won't have to do any computer work with the GEN V. Just get an adapter to use your throttle body. Others have said it, just get a new coupler and new oil in. A rebuild/port won't gain you as much as a Gen V.

Old 02-10-2013, 03:57 PM

Also I will not buy a used one. I have bought used parts before and have always had them fail. Thats my luck lol.
You do realize that the 3800 performance one is used, right? As with any rebuilt part (as you probably know from reading your other thread)- you have to wonder if they used OEM replacement parts, what the quality of the labor is, and what the condition of the original part was (ie were the case walls scratched up, rotors damaged, etc), especially since in any higher volume shop, you likely won't get your original parts back.

If reliability is your main concern, and you don't want to buy anything used- you should probably just go order a brand new replacement one from GM. That will ensure it is the highest quality and most reliable (assuming no installation error along the way).

Looks like GM MSRP is $1400 with GM Parts Direct selling them for $1040 for a gen V (but that includes a new gasket, solenoid, and bypass valve). If you're really dead set on a gen III they're a little higher (maybe due to them being older and not as available in the OEM world) at $1700 GM MSRP $1250 GMPD price.

Last edited by bumpin96monte; 02-10-2013 at 04:03 PM.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:03 AM
1 Year Member

Yea I contacted 3800performance and they said I could send mine since I have ZZPs pulley on it and they will port mine and rebuild mine using the same parts they would use in the ones they do. So new rotors a new coupler and all that fun stuff.

Old 02-15-2013, 07:52 PM

Honestly, you would probably never even know if you got the same case back unless you marked it somehow. They could take your snout and put it on a different/already ported case, and I would bet that is what any larger business would do to reduce turnaround time.

Regardless, my point is, it is still a used supercharger- you still don't know if the rebuild parts going in are OEM replacement, and you don't know the skill of the person rebuilding it (I would certainly doubt they have put together as many blowers as Eaton has). If reliability is your greatest concern, then an OEM one from GM will be the most likely not to fail.

Not to say 3800performance would do a bad job, even the stock ones virtually never fail, even with high mileage- but if reliability is #1- then OEM is usually best.