Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

New parts on, very happy and disappointed at the same time

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 06:21 AM

Heres an update. I put the 3.6 pulley on during the weekend. This dropped the kr down to 2.5-3, but only at WOT just before the upshift, so probably around 5800 rpms. I rarely dive it that hard and in most cases I can completely avoid any kr. I'm putting my studded snow tires on in a week or 2 so I'll be taking it easy all winter and I've run a little short on cash so no tuner or tune for 2 months or so.

After thinking about it I've decided I will get it professionally dyno tuned when I get my tax return. I've been going back and forth between getting a tuner and getting it tuned for a few weeks and I think because I won't have a clue what I'm doing, id just as soon let an expert do it, besides after its tuned I'll probably never use the tuner again so I'll have a $300-$500 tuner around that I'll never use. I will also want power numbers and I can't do that with a tuner.

Old 12-02-2010, 08:46 AM

I'd put on headers (which would really help considering you've already done rockers) and see if you can find someone local (and reputable) from an L67 club to do a street tune for you.
Would make a night and day difference, and shouldn't cost as much as a dyno tune (for both headers and a street tune) since your local dynos want $500.

I think because I won't have a clue what I'm doing, id just as soon let an expert do it, besides after its tuned I'll probably never use the tuner again so I'll have a $300-$500 tuner around that I'll never use.
There's definitely a big learning curve for tuning a car. I tossed around the idea of buying a used tuner, but I can get my car tuned locally for less than a quarter of the cost of a used tuner. If you're not planning on modding the car much more, I'd just go with a one-time tune myself, assuming it cost significantly less than a tuner does.

Last edited by biggriggs; 12-02-2010 at 08:50 AM.