Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

New parts on, very happy and disappointed at the same time

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 11:22 PM

I guess i just have one of those knock monsters, lol. Im starting a headers/ tune fund. Is it possible i have something else causeing the kr? Like someting else causing a noise that the knock sensor thinks is detonation. I dont know, just a thought.

Xmas is coming which means xmas bonus and i get to cash in the 2 weeks vacation time i havent used so maybe ill have the headers and tune by the end of the year. For now im going to drive it slow until i can get a 3.8 pulley back on. I found if i keep it under 10lbs boost i get 0 kr so i keep the scan gauge set to boost and kr and drive like i got an egg under the gas

I was always under the impression the aeroforce hp was pretty accurate, but maybe its to a certain extent. i thought 330 seemed too high

Originally Posted by nitehawkjcb
WOW 13-14 PSI on a 3.4 pulley?!!!
i didnt believe it either. I've only been wot twice since the install because of the kr, but each time boost peaked between 13 and 14 psi. Whats the norm for a 3.4 pulley?

Old 10-24-2010, 09:02 AM

I guess i just have one of those knock monsters, lol. Im starting a headers/ tune fund. Is it possible i have something else causeing the kr? Like someting else causing a noise that the knock sensor thinks is detonation. I dont know, just a thought.
If it is 'false knock', the easy way to tell is to find a place that sells race gas (preferably unleaded)- run your tank almost empty, and then fill up 1/4 or 1/3 tank or so of race gas. If the knock goes away, it is real. If you still have the same KR level- you've got another problem, like something rattling or vibrating.

Unfortunately, I'd say more often than not, its real; but tracking the problem down can be tough- plugged fuel filter, gasket starting to go causing a minor vacuum leak, valve seal letting some oil leak, excessive carbon buildup in the chambers, etc etc.

I was always under the impression the aeroforce hp was pretty accurate, but maybe its to a certain extent. i thought 330 seemed too high
It would be just like the hp and 1/4 mile function on those gforce meters; its just an estimate based off some mathematical formula used to estimate power given certain input variables. The only true accurate way to measure power is with a dyno- something that actually measures an output which can be directly converted to horsepower.

Old 10-25-2010, 11:16 AM

I found 2 places that sell race fuel, the one nearer to me sells 110 octane and the other sells 100. I'm thinking 100 will be plenty and is half the price of 110.

I don't burn any oil, its at the same place on the stick at 3000 miles as it is when I first do the oil change. I'm pretty sure I don't have a vacuum leak because fuel trims are great. I need to change my fuel filter but I can't get the line free. I'm going to have to cut it next time I have it on the lift and put in a repair section. I can also do a try running a can of seafoam through the vacuum lines (below the s/c of course). I know these may take a few degrees of KR off but a good tune and a set of headers will take the rest of

I'm debating on taking it to a dyno or buying a tuner. A dyno tune cost $500-$100 here and tuners are $400 or less. How involved is it to correct the kr if you have your own tuner?

Old 10-25-2010, 06:51 PM

I got the fuel filter installed today and lost 1.5-2 degrees KR so its a step in the right directions. I will seafoam later this week and will hopefully have a larger pulley soon.

Old 10-25-2010, 07:08 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

That's actually a really good drop since you only changed the fuel filter. That would've made me plenty happy. Just a few more to go now.

Old 10-26-2010, 05:00 PM

yeah I'm hoping the seafoam and 3.6 pulley will take care of the rest till I get a tune, although I may have to go as high as a 3.8 pulley

Old 10-26-2010, 08:39 PM

dood get a tune , thats the problem

Old 10-26-2010, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by Ramairetransam
dood get a tune , thats the problem
I know, lol. I'm just trying to reduce KR as much as possible. Dyno tunes are $500+ here and it will be a while before I can afford one, at least until after the holidays

Old 10-27-2010, 05:56 AM

I will stay tuned... I love threads like this & it's great to read what other knowledgeable member's post.
I keep learning ~> Thanks `guys.

Time & Money is always a obstacle to get the power 100% : )

p.s. Great 2 see the Bump'in online & posting...

Good Luck `Lab

Old 10-27-2010, 06:26 AM

get a canned tune from zzp or somewhere . It will be better than what you have now .

Quick Reply: New parts on, very happy and disappointed at the same time