Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

New parts on, very happy and disappointed at the same time

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 06:46 AM

I have the zzp 1.0 pcm, which i think is part of the problem. It gives me 5* timing when really I need 5* less, atleast under boost

Old 10-27-2010, 10:11 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I was gonna say that a canned tune might not be the best option here. The problem with canned tunes is that it's not made especially for your Monte. Until you get on a dyno, or get a Powertuner and go to the dragstrip you won't be able to do a proper tune.

Old 10-27-2010, 10:32 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

When you get this far into mods, the canned tune just won't do it anymore. You obviously have a different knock engine from the factory, so you will definitely need something more custom.

It can be expensive, but it's going to be the best money you can spend for the mods you bought.

Old 10-27-2010, 11:17 AM

Can I get away without headers if I just get a tune? I know I can have enough cash for a tune by the end of the year, but not headers and at this point I don't plan on going any further then a 3.4 pulley, although I may, in 2-3 years, turbo it if I win the lottery, lol.

Another thought, would a tuner be a better investment? I know it would take some playing around with and lots of research, but in the long run if I do decide to mod further or I could make adjustments without shelling out $500 for another dyno tune. If so what are some decent tuners

Old 10-27-2010, 11:34 AM

15 Year Member

Your best bet is going to be HPTuners and a good laptop to do it with.

Old 10-27-2010, 12:03 PM

Is that something I can buy used, or am I better of getting it new? I've seen used for $300-$350 with credits left. I don't have a lap top but can probably use the new dell laptop we have at work that we use for the new Ford and Chrysler scan tool

Old 10-27-2010, 12:28 PM

15 Year Member

You can buy it used, but when you buy it new it comes with 8 credits (roughly $50 every 2 credits, so figure that's $200 saved) and each car is roughly 2 credits, so out of the box you can tune 4 cars, so if you get good and people are around you, you can charge them and make some of the money back

Old 10-28-2010, 01:52 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- May 2009
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by labnjab
Can I get away without headers if I just get a tune? I know I can have enough cash for a tune by the end of the year, but not headers and at this point I don't plan on going any further then a 3.4 pulley, although I may, in 2-3 years, turbo it if I win the lottery, lol.

Another thought, would a tuner be a better investment? I know it would take some playing around with and lots of research, but in the long run if I do decide to mod further or I could make adjustments without shelling out $500 for another dyno tune. If so what are some decent tuners

before i had my car HPtuned (this was before headers and intercooler) i had the zzp canned tune set up for all my mods. i think i was netting around 214 wheel HP and CRAZY knock on a 3.8ss pulley. after i had it tuned, i had significatly less knock and gained 24 wheel HP! the tune is your issue. after i intercooled my car, my knock was gone and i dropped a pulley size then added headers.

tuning is expensive, but it unleashes your true power potential and can save your engine.

Old 10-28-2010, 02:54 PM

Ill get it tuned before i add anything else. Id rather not do headers if i dont have to.

Now Im debateing on weather to get it dyno tuned or buy a tuner. Both cost the same, but i dont have a clue how to tune. A professional tune would be best and id get horsepower numbers too, but i dont like the idea of spending $500 on a one shot thing and if i decide to go further with mods ill have to pay another 500 for a tune.
If i buy a tuner id have to play around with it to get it right and it probably wont be as good as a dyno, but if im not happy with anything or add more modes i can make changes to suit my driving and ill have the tuner to use on any future car.

At this point i think im going to buy a tuner. It wont be until the end of december so until then ill increase the pulley size and take it easy. thank you everyone for your help and input. Im sure ill have more questions when i start to tune.

Darn my need for more power, lol

Old 10-29-2010, 07:50 PM

i would imo still take it easy if you get a used tunner till you have the money to get it dynoed. because a dyno can sho every thing in detail if it might still be running lean or ritch and also you can get it tuned to run ethenal so you can run both while your there if you chose. when i did a dyno tune on my mustang i was running super rich and the hptuner i had only could bring it down only so far with out a dyno. and i am able to run e85 and get away with it. but it is in a opinion like i said it helps only so far but it does help alot to begin with using a hp tuner then later down on the road like a year or two get a dyno tune to make sure every thing is golden

Quick Reply: New parts on, very happy and disappointed at the same time