Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

New parts on, very happy and disappointed at the same time

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 08:06 PM
Default New parts on, very happy and disappointed at the same time

I just finished installing our 1.80/1.85 rockers, autolite 104 plugs and 3.4 mps. The installation went well except I got the wrong valve cover gaskets so I had to reuse the old ones. If they leak I have to take it all back apart.

I am very happy with the power gains. Its like driving a brand new car. Acceleration is incredible. The aeroforce scan gauge reads 330 crank horse power which is way more then I expected, but I can't enjoy the power. I'm getting 5-6 KR. I know some will drop as the pcm relearns everything but I know not all of it will drop. Whats going on? Why am I still getting KR? I'm all out of cash so I'll have to drive like a grannie until I get the kr taken care of so I don't chip a piston. I'm going on an hour drive tommorrow so I'll see how much it drops when I get back, but I doubt it will be all of it

I'm thinking what I may have to do is contact zzp and see if they will retune my pcm for the newest mods. A dynos out because all the local ones are well over $500 and I wont have that much money anytime soon. Any other suggestions? I'm out of ideas and I want it to be right. All mods in signature

Old 10-22-2010, 08:55 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Congrats first! It's always fun to make our cars faster

Next, I'm thinking that you need two things. Headers and a tune. If you can't right now then I think you should get a 3.5" or 3.6" pulley. That will cut out your KR problems too.

Old 10-22-2010, 11:15 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by zipper
Congrats first! It's always fun to make our cars faster

Next, I'm thinking that you need two things. Headers and a tune. If you can't right now then I think you should get a 3.5" or 3.6" pulley. That will cut out your KR problems too.
This.

Don't feel bad, I still get KR on a 3.4 pulley with the ENTIRE top end ported.

Old 10-22-2010, 11:19 PM

I guess what I'll probably have to do is drop back to a 3.6 or even back to a 3.8 until we can get it tuned and/or get headers. At least the MPS makes it a lot easier to swap pulleys. I'll still should have decent gains with the rockers alone but I want to eventually be able to run the 3.4 knock free because the gains are incredible. Until I get a larger pulley I'll have to take it easy and watch the kr on the scan gauge like a hawk

Last edited by labnjab; 10-22-2010 at 11:22 PM.
Old 10-23-2010, 09:02 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

You might see a little bit of a gain too by going to a bigger pulley. The reason I say that is because you're getting a bit of KR. If you have no KR, then the engine isn't pulling any timing. But once you can run a 3.4" pulley with no KR, that's when you will see a GOOD gain.

Good luck. Let us know how it does on a different pulley.

Old 10-23-2010, 11:42 AM

I was so happy when I first stepped on it. It threw me back in the seat way more then usual. It was much faster then the 02 Rustang GT I was working on at work last week. I was even happier when I saw 330+ hp on the scan gauge. But then I was pissed when i saw the KR, lol. I'm looking for a 3.6 and 3.8 pulley, then a cheap set of headers. If only I could find a cheap dyno locally.

Old 10-23-2010, 05:33 PM

I found out today i dont start getting kr until around 10lbs of boost (it produces around 13-14 lbs boost max)
I was wondering which pulley will keep me just under 10lbs? Im thinking the 3.6 will but im not sure.

Old 10-23-2010, 08:02 PM

i would go with the 3.8 till every thing gets seaded correctly then bump up to the 3.6 pully let it sead as in drive it like a grannparent. till every thing is moving great also do the oil sooner because of break in time table you dont want to extend that oil any longer than needed.

Old 10-23-2010, 08:57 PM

I also agree with zipper- PEM's suck IMO; headers would be much better, and they're cheap too for some SSACs.

Some cars are just factory knock monsters- nothing you can really do about it. Could be any number of things causing it, but most likely its a combo.

I did about the same mods on my old gtp, except I had a PLOG instead of the front PEM, and I had a resonator delete and no cat on the DP- and I was still getting 4-6* KR with the stock pcm tune. Only after I did some tuning with my PT did I manage to get rid of that, and even then, I still had the thing running a bit more rich, and with a bit less timing than I would've liked.

Also, I wouldn't even pay attention to the Aeroforce HP number. A well done, relatively knock free 3.4 setup seems to do about 240whp (roughly 300 crank hp)- so I definitely wouldn't be bragging to your friends and such that you have 330+, you know?

Old 10-23-2010, 10:04 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

WOW 13-14 PSI on a 3.4 pulley?!!!

Quick Reply: New parts on, very happy and disappointed at the same time