Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

New Coil Packs ??

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 11:43 AM

Monte Of The Month -- July 2010
Monte Of The Month -- July 2013
IT HERTZ
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default New Coil Packs ??

Has any tried these ??

Amazon Amazon

Mine are OK but I was thing about some winter projects and I was thinking about upgrading my coil pack if it is worth it.

And may be upgrading my intake to the

<TABLE style="BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" id=PhotoThumbnails_dlPicture border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD>

</TD><TD>

</TD><TD></TD><TD></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

HV3 High Velocity Intake Insert

Last edited by Blazed SS; 10-24-2012 at 11:46 AM.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:45 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Justin has some for sale is the classifieds, he says he didn't have any misfire issues and wants $100 for them I believe, let me grab you the link!

EDIT:

https://montecarloforum.com/forum/pr...-intake-39298/

I have read that you won't really notice any improvements with the MSD coils. But they do look great, I would think it's a similar equivalent to L67 coils.

Old 10-24-2012, 12:05 PM

Monte Of The Month -- July 2010
Monte Of The Month -- July 2013
IT HERTZ
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I just pull mine off and Paint them to match they have only been on 1 year and 4135 miles.(new motor last year )

that and I am going to do some work with Orange wire loom

Old 10-24-2012, 12:09 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

MSD coils are bad for our engines. Stock ignition components are the best for our cars.

The HV3 is a great mod with rockers and a tune.

Old 10-24-2012, 12:12 PM

Monte Of The Month -- October 2012
3 Year Member

Thanks for passing on the link Mitch. However, they're pending payment from Jon...

I believe the ones I have for sale are the newer and supposedly "upgraded" coil packs from MSD. I've heard people call them out for their terrible performance and major misfiring issue, but I've had NO misfires. I have my Aeroforce monitoring KR and misfires at all times ever since I put these coil packs on. I was very hesitant because of the terrible reviews I've seen but I see no issues with the ones I have.

Since they were my first MSD product, I say you can't go wrong with them. Painting your current packs isn't necessarily a bad idea either though. Orange or white coil packs would be cool

Last edited by 01 Monte SS; 10-24-2012 at 12:17 PM.
Old 10-24-2012, 12:14 PM

3 Year Member

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
MSD coils are bad for our engines
Are you speaking from first hand experience or just passing along something you have seen someone else post all over the internet where anything, be it fact or fiction, can be said?

I don't at all see how they are bad. ZERO misfiring issues for an entire summer on mine. I can't speak for their durability just yet but I will have no problem using them next summer if they are not sold.

Old 10-24-2012, 12:19 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by 01 Monte SS
ZERO misfiring issues for an entire summer on mine.
A summer is not a big deal. There are threads and THREADS about people who have cracked MSD coils and arching.

I have 186,000 miles AND almost 13 years on my STOCK coil packs. Everyone that does their own tuning / dyno tunes their cars with MSD coils has to actually take the coils off first.

The aftermarket is just not worth going to. GM and Ford do great things with their ignition systems. They are personally better designs than anything in the aftermarket.

It's a very expensive mod with ZERO gains, just to have red coil packs that say MSD.

Old 10-24-2012, 12:27 PM

3 Year Member

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
A summer is not a big deal. There are threads and THREADS about people who have cracked MSD coils and arching.

I have 186,000 miles AND almost 13 years on my STOCK coil packs. Everyone that does their own tuning / dyno tunes their cars with MSD coils has to actually take the coils off first.

The aftermarket is just not worth going to. GM and Ford do great things with their ignition systems. They are personally better designs than anything in the aftermarket.

It's a very expensive mod with ZERO gains, just to have red coil packs that say MSD.
So you've never used MSD coil packs on YOUR vehicle and witnessed them fail?

How about you leave the reviews of MSD coil packs to those who actually have used them? You are part of the problem as to why they get such a bad rep. I just don't see how you can put down a product you personally have never even used?

I have no problem with you promoting your stock coil packs, but I've had two OEM coil packs fail in only 84k.. Again, I won't at all speak for the MSDs durability, but they haven't failed me yet. And as for expensive, yes they are expensive depending on where you get them. I don't want to ruin a potential sale of mine but I got all three cheaper than it would have cost me to get STOCK packs, so I had no problem taking a chance on them.

Last edited by 01 Monte SS; 10-24-2012 at 12:30 PM.
Old 10-24-2012, 12:42 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by 01 Monte SS
So you've never used MSD coil packs on YOUR vehicle and witnessed them fail?

How about you leave the reviews of MSD coil packs to those who actually have used them? You are part of the problem as to why they get such a bad rep. I just don't see how you can put down a product you personally have never even used?

I have no problem with you promoting your stock coil packs, but I've had two OEM coil packs fail in only 84k.. Again, I won't at all speak for the MSDs durability, but they haven't failed me yet. And as for expensive, yes they are expensive depending on where you get them. I don't want to ruin a potential sale of mine but I got all three cheaper than it would have cost me to get STOCK packs, so I had no problem taking a chance on them.
Justin, I think what Mike is getting at is that you have only used them for a summer. You really haven't put the coils through the test of time.

They are expensive coils and are known the fail. Whether they have made updates or not that actually help, who knows, none of us have put them through the test of time to see what conditions they may or may not fail under.

Old 10-24-2012, 12:45 PM

3 Year Member

Originally Posted by trewyn15
Justin, I think what Mike is getting at is that you have only used them for a summer. You really haven't put the coils through the test of time.

They are expensive coils and are known the fail. Whether they have made updates or not that actually help, who knows, none of us have put them through the test of time to see what conditions they may or may not fail under.
I understand they have little use. I mentioned several times I can't speak for durability.

BUT, if someone wants to say these packs are BAD for our engines, without ever using them, that's where I have a problem. Speaking from my personal experience, they are not at all BAD for our engines.

Quick Reply: New Coil Packs ??