Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

need help with new 82 monte

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 07:09 PM
Default need help with new 82 monte

hello gentlemen i am monte82ppe and as the name suggest i am the proud owner of a 1982 monte carlo. it has a 305 in it and runs like a track star. now the reason i am posting is that the car isnt running at the moment. it has been sitting for about 4 months because the previous owner thought it was a bad carb. after talking with my "experts" i have determined that it is in fact most likely a bad fuel filter. when the guy cranked it the other day it ran great and stayed running for about 10 minutes. he then cut it off and tried to start it again but no dice. when it was cranked though it didnt sound troubled. it was about as smooth as it could get. so now that i beleive its the filter i have a new prob. I HAVE NO IDEA HOW TO REMOVE AND CHANGE ONE. this is my first proj. car so im a little slow on these things. i also dont know what type of carb i have either. i have pics but dont know how to post them. i need this one running asap because my other car just died. as far as i know, the filter is the only prob so any help would be appreciated. also, when answering, please feel free to go as in detail as you can. thanks in advance

Old 07-01-2011, 10:24 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

since it is an 82 with the 305 it will have a computer controlled quadra jet carb(4 barrel), might be a dual jet(2barel) but i dought it unless someone replaced it with a gifferent one,

the fuel filter is located inside the fuel inletnut at the carberator, it's made of either paper or pourus broze and cannot be cleaned or reused,

the job should be done with the engine cold,

tools needed are opern ended wrenches and flair nut wrench,
step 1 remove the air cleaner assembly, if you have to remove any vacume lines make sure to note where they go, mark them if need be,

step 2 follow fuel line to where it enters the carb,

step 3 place some rags under the fuel inlet fitting to catch spilled fuel,

step 4 with the proper sized wrenches hold the inlet nut that is immediatly next to the carb body, now lossed the fitting at the end of the fuel line, while making sure to keep the inlet nut tight,
( be carefull not to twist the line durring this process, i sugest soaking it with some kind of penitrating oil)

step 5 now that the fuel line is disconected move it aside to gain better access to the inlet nut,
( be sure not to bend/crimp line)

step 6 unscrew the fuel inlet nut which was previously held stedy, as you pull the fitting out be carefull not to lose the thin washer like gasket on the nut or the spring,

step7 compair the new and old to make sure they are the same length,

step 8 re install the spring in carb body,

step9 place the new filter in position (a gasket is usually supplied with the new filter) and replace the nut and tighten it, make sure not to cross thread or over tighten the nut it is VERRY EASY TO STRIP , then replace the fuel line and tighten it down, again making sure not to cross thread or over tighten as it also is VERRY EASY TO STRIP, also while tightrning the fuel like put your wrency back on the fuel inlet nut to make sure it doesn't get over tightened,

step 10, start it up and check for leaks!

Old 07-02-2011, 12:15 PM

okay so its pretty much straight forward then i guess. so the parts are in this order: nut, gasket, filter then spring. not hard at all. and yeah after looking up computer contolled carbs i found out i have the e4me carb. i have never heard of a comp. controlled carb so i would like to know what makes the different or special. i know the next step up from a "dumb" carb is the "smart" tbi system. where does the e4me rank? what are the advantages. all my searches on it turn up manuals but no real details. but other than that the only other questions i have are about the car itself. i would like to know from actual owners on the vehicle what its like. gas miledge, drivability, strong points/weak points, ect,. thanks again in advance and thanks budsjlm for the answer.