Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Name of Sensor right below headers?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 04:16 PM
3 Year Member
Default Name of Sensor right below headers?

Hey guys,

I was hoping you guys could lend me a hand over here as work hasn't given me much of a free time to find out whats the name of a sensor.

What sensor is the one that is located right beneath the headers kinda centerish?

Vehicle: 2003 Monte Carlo LS 3.4L.

All help is appreciated.

I noticed that the wife car has been leaking oil and occasionally leaving a drip trail. I took a quick peek to see if the leak was visible thru the front and i was able to see that their is oil dripping right beneath the headers. So i tried to get as best of a view as possible to see if their was anything visible under the headers and notice a sensor plug.

Is this the oil pressure sensor or knock sensor????

All help is appreciated that way i could go swing by an auto parts store and just buy the sensor to replace before the leak gets worse.

Last edited by Chevy03; 04-22-2013 at 04:27 PM.
Old 04-23-2013, 03:38 PM
3 Year Member

anyone?

Old 04-23-2013, 04:39 PM

The knock sensor is in front, close to the oil filter.

With that said, you sure it isn't the filter? Or if you're like mine, the couple of wires that criss cross under the filter. When I change my oil I get some poured on top of those wires and it runs straight down the wires to the ground - giving me oil spots every now and then. Get that area cleaned up a bit, first.

Secondly, you don't have headers, you have exhaust manifolds.

Old 04-24-2013, 11:10 AM
3 Year Member

Ahh, i was denied permission to view the link.

The car so far leaks oil only when the motor is in operation, i paid close attention towards the filter area as i had a thought that maybe the filter was a bit loose, No oil spilling in that area, the Oil is dripping more towards the middle upper part of the block right below the exhaust manifold (thanks for the correction, i have a fully modded LS1 Camaro that i keep modding and i have a tendency to say headers because of this car). I haven't taken the time to have a perfect view of the affected area but in the breef moment that i checked this leak i saw a sensor connector right where the oil is dripping out of. Maybe the sensor got loose or the seal went bad so i will be checking it this week for sure.

My life is hella busy with family asking for favors to help them fix stuff. Today i will be swapping out the oil filter housing gasket as my sister inlaw 06 impala is leaking oil by one corner of the oil filter housing.

Yesterday my wife told me a joke which applies to a mechanics life. A mechanic has to make time to fix everyone else vehicles and help other but does not have the time to fix his own lol lol. Sad but true.

I'm not a professional mechanic but thanks to my father i'm a jack of all trades handy man. Its good to be able to do alot of things, but its a curse as all others will lean on you lol.

Thanks Mike for taking the time to respond to my thread, the link you provided above was it a diagram of the Monte Carlo motor?

Old 04-24-2013, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by Chevy03
Ahh, i was denied permission to view the link.

...the link you provided above was it a diagram of the Monte Carlo motor?
It's just a diagram I found for a GM 3400. The "full-size" that it won't let you see is really the same size as the one I posted - not the best diagram. Let me see if I can't find a better one for you.

Old 04-24-2013, 11:48 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Actually, the 3100 and 3400 have an oil pressure sensor almost right beneath the front exhaust manifold, almost center (favoring the driver side of the motor).

If you are leaking oil, that is probably your culprit. I've inspected those before using a small mirror, disconnect the harness, position the mirror where you can see the sensor, ensure all of you and your clothing is clear of things like the belt and fan, have some one start the car. Sometimes when that unit fails, it will ooze or spray oil from the center of the connector.

I recommend using a oil pressure sending uint/switch socket to change it. I can do it in about 5 minutes on a 3100/3400. Down side is, it's typically by touch as I go at it from the top of the engine and most the engines I've done it one are normally in the Grand Ams and little room to see anything down there.

Old 04-25-2013, 10:14 AM
3 Year Member

thanks Maniac,

The sensor in question is exactly where you described it to be. when i took a peaket placing my view just above the hood latching bar i was able to see drips coming out of that sensor. i will definitely do the mirror test just to be 100% but i really wanted to know the name of that sensor that way i don't have to go back to the auto parts store and have to exchange the item.

Yesterday i switched the Oil Filter Adapter gasket and oil pressure sensor on my sister in laws 2006 Impala which i am more grateful that this Monte carlo has the switch in a much easier location to get to than the impala. It was easy to change it out on the impala but much easier on the Monte Carlo