Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

My monte is dead :(

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 02:35 PM

I'm devastated, and I'm not even the owner! Sorry to hear about this Frank, best of luck, seriously man.

Old 07-23-2012, 02:41 PM

Monte Of The Month -- September 2011
2011 Monte Of The Year
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by BlackRainSS
At least you got a good run with it. looking forward to an update man.
thanks man, yea it ran pretty good. i think it had 148k miles when i got it

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
Jason (the_maniac) has that series 3 motor for sale still, he might cut you a deal?

I wouldn't put the 02 transmission with the car. You aren't messing with the PCM

Only 171k... makes me cringe when I hear stories like this...
will it even work with my car and pcm? lol

im just going to get the $450 motor

Old 07-23-2012, 02:42 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I think it would, just need a minor modification to run your throttle body :p

Old 07-23-2012, 02:44 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2011
Monte Of The Month -- December 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Sorry to hear this Frank , Take alot of pics of where hose & wires go , so you know where this stuff goes when you put it back together .. Best of Luck Frank..

Old 07-23-2012, 02:45 PM

Jason (the_maniac) has that series 3 motor for sale still, he might cut you a deal?

I wouldn't put the 02 transmission with the car. You aren't messing with the PCM

Only 171k... makes me cringe when I hear stories like this...
True motors are capable of lasting much longer now a days. My grandparents are still set in old days where if its got 100k its junk lol. I guess they never got over their 73 Mach 1 mustang lasting only 60k back in the day.

Old 07-23-2012, 02:50 PM

2011 Monte Of The Year

Originally Posted by lougreen03
I would change the spark plugs, valve cover gaskets and coolant elbows. These are all easier to change out of the car. I would also change all your fluids including power steering and transmission fluid. Some people don't change them but they may have contaminants in them.

Like Justin said bag and tag everything, It will make the process a lot easier. Especially if something happened and you couldn't put it back together right away. I had to let one set for 3 months once.

Also If you have never done an engine swap I would pick up a haynes manual and read through it. You should be able to rent an engine hoist fairly cheap or you could buy one from harbor freight depending on how long your gonna need it.

Good luck and if you get stuck we will be here.
yup i plan on changing all that on the "new" motor
im probably going to get an engine hoist from harbor frieght or just borrow one from my friend

and thanks guys, im sure im going to run into some problems and need yalls help haha

Originally Posted by Dubstepticon
I'm devastated, and I'm not even the owner! Sorry to hear about this Frank, best of luck, seriously man.
Thanks man, it sucks *** but im kinda excited to do this and hopefully my monte will live to see a few more thousand miles lol

I think it would, just need a minor modification to run your throttle body :p
but that trans is also diff right? lol im just trying to save as much money as i can doing this. hopefully i can keep all my expenses under $1k

Old 07-23-2012, 02:50 PM

15 Year Member

Originally Posted by BlackRainSS
True motors are capable of lasting much longer now a days. My grandparents are still set in old days where if its got 100k its junk lol. I guess they never got over their 73 Mach 1 mustang lasting only 60k back in the day.
I know... I have more mileage than Frank did, it's just un-nerving

Old 07-23-2012, 02:51 PM

just $450 for the motor. he claims it has 82k miles

Hi `Frank, $450 is a decent price `if it's a decent engine..Do you know or trust this guy ? Does he give any guarantee ?
Is he in the business of selling used engines or is he a private individual ? If he's in business check his records..It's better to be safe then sorry...Have you seen the engine yet ?

Don't rush `if you're not sure about it...You don't want to do a lot of work & spend your hard earned money & later find out it's a bad engine...I know you want to get it back on the road, but it's better to take you time & make sure things are right...It sure pays to do your homework..Good Luck & ask a lot of questions of everyone involved 4-Sure..

Frank did you check this place for a engine ?
<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" align=center><TBODY><TR><TD>Plant City Auto Salvage
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE id=PageTemplate_ctl01_ProfileTable class=basicYardCls border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD width="70%"><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-RIGHT: 10px"></TD><TD class=Verdana12>(813) 754-1790
4303 State Road 574 West
Plant City, FL 33563
USA </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD vAlign=top width="30%" align=center><TABLE style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #c0c0c0 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #c0c0c0 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #c0c0c0 1px solid; BORDER-RIGHT: #c0c0c0 1px solid" border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width=150><TBODY><TR><TD bgColor=#f3f3f3 align=center>Current Yard Rating:

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE style="BORDER-TOP: #bbbbbb 1px solid" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%"><TBODY><TR id=PageTemplate_ctl01_TollRow><TD class=Verdana11>Toll-Free #: (800) 330-4871</TD></TR><TR id=PageTemplate_ctl01_FaxRow><TD class=Verdana11>Fax #: (813) 719-8249</TD></TR><TR id=PageTemplate_ctl01_WwwRow><TD class=Verdana11>
Website: http://www.plantcityautosalvage.net </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD vAlign=top><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%"><TBODY></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD class=Verdana11 colSpan=2>

</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=2><HR SIZE=1></TD></TR><TR id=PageTemplate_ctl01_DescriptionRow><TD class=Verdana11 colSpan=2>Here are a few things you need to know about us:

•One of the largest salvage yards in Plant City Florida
•A premium auto recycler that offers free delivery in the Hillsborough, surrounding counties.
•Specialize in used auto parts and we pull all parts for you - no roaming our yard hoping to find what you want!
•Most parts are on the shelf, ready to go!
•Used Engines and Used Transmissions are our top sellers
•All makes and models from 1994 and newer
•Family owned and operated for 30 years
•Purchase 300-500 cars per month
•25 acres of land filled with cars </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Last edited by Space; 07-23-2012 at 02:56 PM.
Old 07-23-2012, 02:51 PM

15 Year Member

Originally Posted by Franks 03SS
but that trans is also diff right? lol im just trying to save as much money as i can doing this. hopefully i can keep all my expenses under $1k
I just talked to Jason, hopefully he'll pop on right now. He can give you a pretty good deal on that engine

Let's do some research right now and see how easy an L26 bolts up to your stock transmission and if any PCM programming needs to be done

Ninja Edit:

The trans will bolt right up, Series 2 and Series 3 motors share the same engine block. There is absolutely no reason you would need the PCM or the wiring harness for a donor car. Your not swapping this motor into a Honduh, your replaceing your busted Series 2 with a Series 3.
You just need to buy this: http://shop.zzperformance.com/store/...ter-Plate.aspx

Seems like that is all that would be needed. I'm not 100%, but that seems to be the consensus. You would also actually need to bring the fuel rail and injectors over to the L26.

Last edited by ChibiBlackSheep; 07-23-2012 at 02:56 PM.
Old 07-23-2012, 02:53 PM

2011 Monte Of The Year

Originally Posted by zjerry
Sorry to hear this Frank , Take alot of pics of where hose & wires go , so you know where this stuff goes when you put it back together .. Best of Luck Frank..
Thanks Jerry, oh and i will take plenty pics along the way. i'll aslo be cleaning a bunch of things while the motor is out and alot of painting too

Quick Reply: My monte is dead :(