Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

My monte is dead :(

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 01:47 PM

Monte Of The Month -- September 2011
2011 Monte Of The Year
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default My monte is dead :(

well guys my motor went bye bye today, long story short i ran it too hard and that was it lol wont turn over at all, feels like its frozen up. i guess the ticking i had was something serious lol
i need a replacement motor now and have a few questions.

will a 3800 from an 02 impala work with my 03? just the motor. the trans im going to keep and just replaced all the solenoids in it. and yes im going to replace the motor myself, i feel pretty confident that i can do it lol i believe i have all the necessary tools needed, all i need is an engine hoist to remove the engine from the car and put in the replacement. The monte is currently at a walmart parking lot, im waiting for a tow truck to go bring it home so i can start tearing it apart. i considered an l67 swap but really dont have time to be messing around with the pcm and such. i just need to get it running asap since it is my DD and i need it for work plus im low on cash

any tips i can get from you guys before i tackle this mess? any links and how to's will help me out

i'll keep yall updated once i get the car home and figure out exactly what im going to do :

Old 07-23-2012, 02:08 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Take your time, put any bolts removed into baggies(write on the inside what they go to in sharpie on painters tape and if they go with a part you pulled off taped it to that part, take some blue painters tape and a sharpie and mark every conector you pull off,

To protect fender bumper ect get the wide painter tape and tape off anywhere you will come in contact with the paint,

Either get the correct tool to remove the fuel line quick disconect or pull them from the motor and leave it with the car

Old 07-23-2012, 02:13 PM

Hi `Frank,
I had to get up for a work problem and then jumped online to check the forum. WoW, I was sorry to see your post & what happened Are you sure it's blown ? Did a rod come through the block ? Is there water in your oil ? What were the signs ? Was there a lot of smoke ? What fluids are on the ground ? Let us know OK.

Yes, I believe a Impala 3.8L will work ( I hope it's a good one & with low miles)

Belows a link that may help you prepare for a engine swap.
(I hope you don't need it 4-Sure)
How to Change a Car Engine: 24 steps - wikiHow
Click

Keep us updated & I wish you super luck & hope it's just your starter hang'in up on your flywheel or something not expensive...The best 2 U & your Monte...I will check back later after another recharge..Peace/Out from `Space

Old 07-23-2012, 02:13 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

The only logical explanation is that the car couldn't handle those monstrosity you call tires

Sorry to hear about this Frank! It's a shame it died before you could get the 7th Gen.

The Impala motor should be perfectly fine.

Old 07-23-2012, 02:24 PM

OUCH! Sorry to hear this Frank. A beautiful car with no motor isnt much help hope you get it fixed soon. How many miles you get on the beast before she quit on ya?

Old 07-23-2012, 02:29 PM

2011 Monte Of The Year

Originally Posted by Budsjlm
Take your time, put any bolts removed into baggies(write on the inside what they go to in sharpie on painters tape and if they go with a part you pulled off taped it to that part, take some blue painters tape and a sharpie and mark every conector you pull off,

To protect fender bumper ect get the wide painter tape and tape off anywhere you will come in contact with the paint,

Either get the correct tool to remove the fuel line quick disconect or pull them from the motor and leave it with the car
Thanks man
and the fuel lines im just going to disconnect from the motor and leave them with the car

Originally Posted by Space
Hi `Frank,
I had to get up for a work problem and then jumped online to check the forum. WoW, I was sorry to see your post & what happened Are you sure it's blown ? Did a rod come through the block ? Is there water in your oil ? What were the signs ? Was there a lot of smoke ? What fluids are on the ground ? Let us know OK.

Yes, I believe a Impala 3.8L will work ( I hope it's a good one & with low miles)

Belows a link that may help you prepare for a engine swap.
(I hope you don't need it 4-Sure)
How to Change a Car Engine: 24 steps - wikiHow
Click

Keep us updated & I wish you super luck & hope it's just your starter hang'in up on your flywheel or something not expensive...The best 2 U & your Monte...I will check back later after another recharge..Peace/Out from `Space
thanks space, the motor was just idling rough then died. it was making like a knocking noise and it didnt start up anymore. there was a lot smoke but i think it was just the serpentine belt since there were no fluids that i could see leaking. it's still at the walmart the tow truck guy hasn't called me back lol

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
The only logical explanation is that the car couldn't handle those monstrosity you call tires

Sorry to hear about this Frank! It's a shame it died before you could get the 7th Gen.

The Impala motor should be perfectly fine.
lol i doubt it was my huge wheels mike :p

would the trans from the same car work? he wants $650 for the trans and motor or just $450 for the motor. he claims it has 82k miles

Old 07-23-2012, 02:30 PM

2011 Monte Of The Year

Originally Posted by BlackRainSS
OUCH! Sorry to hear this Frank. A beautiful car with no motor isnt much help hope you get it fixed soon. How many miles you get on the beast before she quit on ya?
i know this sucks
it has 171k i believe lol

i'll keep yall updated when i get the car home and inspect it a little more

Old 07-23-2012, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by Franks 03SS
i know this sucks
it has 171k i believe lol

i'll keep yall updated when i get the car home and inspect it a little more
At least you got a good run with it. looking forward to an update man.

Old 07-23-2012, 02:32 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Jason (the_maniac) has that series 3 motor for sale still, he might cut you a deal?

I wouldn't put the 02 transmission with the car. You aren't messing with the PCM

Only 171k... makes me cringe when I hear stories like this...

Old 07-23-2012, 02:34 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I would change the spark plugs, valve cover gaskets and coolant elbows. These are all easier to change out of the car. I would also change all your fluids including power steering and transmission fluid. Some people don't change them but they may have contaminants in them.

Like Justin said bag and tag everything, It will make the process a lot easier. Especially if something happened and you couldn't put it back together right away. I had to let one set for 3 months once.

Also If you have never done an engine swap I would pick up a haynes manual and read through it. You should be able to rent an engine hoist fairly cheap or you could buy one from harbor freight depending on how long your gonna need it.

Good luck and if you get stuck we will be here.

Quick Reply: My monte is dead :(