Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

my car is falling apart

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 12:20 PM
1 Year Member
Default my car is falling apart

After new wires, spark plugs and coils im getting a P0300...random misfire still. All acdelco except the coils.

I need a new water pump. New catalytic converter, and and now im getting another code for a wheel speed sensor on the front right wheel. I need a fuel level sensor and a oil pressure sender...what the hell?!

Last edited by Video; 07-27-2013 at 12:28 PM.
Old 07-27-2013, 01:37 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Well it is a 13 year old Monte Carlo. How many miles on her? Perhaps the previous owners were less than kind to it. We all will end up putting money into our Monte's. Some do it now as preventative maintenance so they are reliable, others wait till something breaks. Just work your way through it and you will have a reliable Monte. Hope all comes together for you, as they are actually pretty unique GM cars. Good luck

Old 07-27-2013, 03:04 PM

Get a better mechanic that's all I'm gonna say because either its beat or something smells fishy

Old 07-27-2013, 03:53 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Like Zippy said a 13 year old car is gonna need some repairs. Sometimes is all comes at once. I had to replace 3 wheel bearings and front pads and rotors. I still need a new rotor in the rear and an oil change.

Old 07-27-2013, 06:53 PM
1 Year Member

It has 190k so yeah i expected issues, but like lougreen said it just seems to be coming all at once. I just dont have the money to do it all at once so it sucks driving the car knowing it has issues and i worry that by driving it while broken itll brake other **** along with it.

For instance i have a p0420 code...will having a bad cat foul my plugs?

Old 07-27-2013, 10:14 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member

You need to figure out why you have a misfire, the misfire could cause other issues....

Old 07-27-2013, 11:45 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

190K is a ton of miles. No doubt it sucks having all this come up, but it's 13 years old and 190K. Plus as said, if it was not properly maintained, it will haunt you.

My last daily driver was a '94 Grand Am with 215K and as I understand, the current owner still has yet to put any money into it it (he bought it last October). I did my best to keep that car maintained. My current daily a 2002 Grand Am took a lot of work to "make it right" as the previous owner had a lot of "hack work" done to it.

Old 07-28-2013, 08:44 AM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
190K is a ton of miles. No doubt it sucks having all this come up, but it's 13 years old and 190K. Plus as said, if it was not properly maintained, it will haunt you.

My last daily driver was a '94 Grand Am with 215K and as I understand, the current owner still has yet to put any money into it it (he bought it last October). I did my best to keep that car maintained. My current daily a 2002 Grand Am took a lot of work to "make it right" as the previous owner had a lot of "hack work" done to it.
Yeah i totally understand. And i expected this, just not 2 weeks after i got it you know? When i frst got it it already had problems. So all together when i got the car it had a coolant leak, oil leak, bad water pump, 3 bad senors, a bad wheel bearing, bald tires, a bad cat, an exhaust leak...like holy **** man. I wish i knew before i bought it i woulda talked him down to $800. The only good thing about this car is the lack of rust and the interior is in amazing shape, and the body is pretty good.

Old 07-29-2013, 10:25 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

My current daily, an '02 Grand Am GT.... I found and used as bargaining chips:
- Fan relay code (turns out some idiot hard wired a connection in the fuse panel)
- Bad wheel hub
- Issues with the front bumper cover and a fender
- a lot of clean up work (interior was gross to say the least)
- research a clunk noise in the rear suspension (it's a bent rear lateral, I still need to replace).

What I found in addition to what I listed above, before I began driving it:
- missing parts under the fender for the air intake duct work
- missing fog light bucket on one side, missing fog light sockets on both sides
- damaged front impact bar (that the fog light bucket bolts to)
- Bad tie rod
- missing interior hooks in the back seat
- EGR tube with a hole in it (band-aided with a piece of rubber hose and a hose clamp)

I'm sure I'm missing some other stuff. It was a bit of a mess. I still have a couple fixer-uppers on it. But I feel your pain man. I bit off more then I wanted to chew. I did all the work myself (and it was easy work), but it chews up time and an extra $200+ that I did not plan to spend.

Old 07-30-2013, 07:16 AM
1 Year Member

So basically what your saying is this is all part of owning a used car. Especially one with high miles. And i shouldve expected it. Your right but venting about it is part of the process right?

Thank you for the replies everyone. Makes me feel better.

Quick Reply: my car is falling apart