Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Multiple cylinder misfire after washing motor

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 11:03 AM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member
Default Multiple cylinder misfire after washing motor

I degreased my motor and power washed it at a DIY car wash I've done this before but this time I sprayed the entire motor trying to id a leak afterwards I noticed the car was running rough I figured water affected the cool pack or plugs I throw a "multiple cylinder misfire code" I have not checked and inspected the plugs yet just trying to get other opinions on this.

I'm think new plugs since it's cheap

Old 08-28-2014, 11:23 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Jaymoung
I degreased my motor and power washed it at a DIY car wash I've done this before but this time I sprayed the entire motor trying to id a leak afterwards I noticed the car was running rough I figured water affected the cool pack or plugs I throw a "multiple cylinder misfire code" I have not checked and inspected the plugs yet just trying to get other opinions on this.

I'm think new plugs since it's cheap

Condensation has probably formed under the boots of the plug wires. Pull the wires (one at a time) and dry the coil and plug ends. Another possibility is that the insulation on the plug wires has fatigued and the water created cross fire between cylinders.

Last edited by 03SSLE; 08-28-2014 at 11:25 AM.
Old 08-28-2014, 11:27 AM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by 03SSLE
Condensation has probably formed under the boots of the plug wires. Pull the wires (one at a time) and dry the coil and plug ends. Another possibility is that the insulation on the plug wires has fatigued and the water created cross fire between cylinders.
How would you suggest drying them? I don't have a air compressor