Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

7th Gen ('06-'07): Tune up time !

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 09:57 AM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member
Default Tune up time !

So this will be my first tune up on a car, ever, and I know its basically removing plugs and wires, but is there anything special i should know or anything I have to get? I remember some of my buddies using a socket to pull them out, but I dunno what size if for the monte carlo...Any help would be appreciated. And also.....

Im baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaacccckkkk ;]

Old 08-28-2014, 10:53 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

The rear plugs and wires are a pain... you'll need to remove the dogbone mounts and roll the engine forward if at all possible. Other than that it's a pretty straight forward job.

Old 08-28-2014, 11:36 AM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Do i need a special socket to remove them or what? If i remember right i do, and I ordered the iridium plugs, and ive read that most of them now a days come pre gapped, do you think i have to worry bout that? Also..the torque of plugging them in, I heard its important, but how important? Like worth buying the actual torquing wrench for proper adjustment or just tighting it?

Old 08-28-2014, 01:01 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

It's good to use a specific spark plug socket, because they have padding so you don't shatter the plug.

Just snug the plugs, don't go crazy tightening. Do it like you would do an oil pan bolt.

Old 08-28-2014, 01:09 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Is it just spark plug socket in general that id be looking for or car manufacture specific ? I ordered everything today so ill just go pick up a socket later..

Old 08-28-2014, 01:48 PM

I replaced plugs and didn't undo any motor mounts.
You need a Ratchet > long extension > knuckle joint > short extension > plug socket.

Old 08-28-2014, 02:40 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Did you notice any difference swapping them out tom? I dont think my SS has ever had a plug/wire change at all lol.

Old 08-28-2014, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Hiroska
Did you notice any difference swapping them out tom? I dont think my SS has ever had a plug/wire change at all lol.

first plugs was at 130k km. Yes, definitely made a difference. Bosch platinum+4
2nd change was 210k km. Autolite XL. plus wires. had one coil bad, so replaced them all.
sparkplugs.com

Old 08-28-2014, 04:10 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

What do you avg as far as mpg? And lord how many miles u got now? lol. And is it just one type of spark plug socket for all cars? Im off soon so im gonna go pick it up, rock auto delivers quick to my house so im hoping to have it by saturday.

Old 08-28-2014, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by Hiroska
What do you avg as far as mpg? And lord how many miles u got now? lol. And is it just one type of spark plug socket for all cars? Im off soon so im gonna go pick it up, rock auto delivers quick to my house so im hoping to have it by Saturday.

The spark plug socket in my set is the one with a rubber insert to hold onto the plug.
I never looked at size because it the only spark plug socket in the set.

I never got good mileage, but it got worse with the DoD tuned out, and the tune makes it more aggressive, so mileage worse.
If mileage is you concern, wouldn't you buy a hybrid or electric?
Certainly not a V8 sports car.

I CAN get good mileage in both my cars, if I drive like my mother.

Monte SS is for Sale in the for sale section

Quick Reply: 7th Gen ('06-'07): Tune up time !