Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

MOPAR

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 04:01 AM
Default RE: MOPAR

I would be better off with a turbo?
Depends on what you want it to do. If you're looking for the fastest car possible in the $4k+ mod range, then the turbo is the way to go. Depends on your goals and mod budget.

so if i was looking to do a little bit at a time i could do the trans later?
If you have a 4t60- then no. Well, it bolts up... but no. People seem to have enough trouble with them on basic bolt on 60* V6's, much less talking about 240+ hp.

The 6th gen (2000-2005) LS cars with the 3.4L engine have the 4T60E transmission.
Thanks for the correction, I thought they went to all 4t65s at some point in the wbody line, but I didn't know where.

I have no idea if the L36 or L67 engines will bolt up to that trans (bumpin, I'm guessing you can fill us in on that info), but even if the L67 did bolt up, I think that the biggest engine used for the 4T60E is the 3.4L. It's not really designed for 240+ hp.
It will bolt up, but as you said- not worth wasting your time. I'd rather run a $400 100k mile 4t65hd than take my chances on a 4t60.

Especially if you're not that experienced as a mechanic. Consider that if you can't do the swap yourself, how much you'd actually be spending altogether
x2. On milzy's site, you're looking at a normal price of $4265 for an 80k mile setup.

You should at least give thought to how much your car is worth on trade + that money.

I mean heck, you could pick up a 97 or 98 GTP for that much, and still keep your car.

The only time I really reccomend an L67 swap is when you can do it yourself. $1000-2000 max is a lot more realistic to spend; $4265 is probably as much as yourcar is worth.

Old 12-20-2008, 10:50 AM

bumpin, I actually felt bad for correcting you as your knowledge of these engines/transmissions and the mods available for them is impressive. The only reason I knew that was because I ended up doing a lot of research when I decided I wanted a faster car, and seriously looked into the L67 swap enough to work out a budget for it.

It made a lot more sense to do this swap 5 years ago when the supercharged engine wasn't available in the monte carlos. Now that they are available, and there are plenty of the supercharged gen 6's on the market right now it doesn't make nearly as much sense. Also keep in mind that a lot of the supercharged signature editions are on the market as one-owner cars that were owned by nascar fans, and alot of these cars were absolutely babied for their whole lives. That said, there are a lot of 6th gen s/c cars around that are in amazing condition, as they were treated more like show cars than performance cars.

You should at least give thought to how much your car is worth on trade + that money.

The only time I really reccomend an L67 swap is when you can do it yourself. $1000-2000 max is a lot more realistic to spend; $4265 is probably as much as yourcar is worth.
So true.

Also keep in mind that the $4265 price tag is just for parts and labor. When you start to factor in cost of getting the car to a qualified mechanic that can/will do the swap, costs add up fast. Especially if you have to ship the car, pay for airfare, stay in a hotel (it's a 2 week job usually), etc.

I just traded in my old 2001 LS for a 2004 Intimidator, so I was more or less tracking the used pricing of Monte's, Impala's, Regal's, and GTP's which all have the L67/4T65eHD drivetrain.

These prices were from Sept-Nov of this year, and in the eastern PA area.
The dealer I used gave me $2000 (almost exact kbb value) for the trade in. That was with 120k miles, and all of the dents and dings and wear and tear that come with a high-mileage car. When looking around, I noticed that a lot of places (dealers) are selling 2001-2002 LS models with very high mileage for around $6000-$8000. The price bump for the SS models isn't really that much, although gas prices have plummeted since then and fuel economy is a selling point for the LS.
If you can sell an LS private party, you can ask for about twice the trade in (depending on condition between $3000 and $5000). Even the low mileage (under 40k miles) LS models were in the $9000+ asking price range.

Also keep in mind that the s/c SS models usually come with every option imagineable. The LS...not so much.

[/quote]I mean heck, you could pick up a 97 or 98 GTP for that much, and still keep your car. [/quote]
Absolutely.
Before I found the 2004, I was planning on buying an older regal gs. I was looking at 2000-2002 models with under 50k miles for about $4000. If you are mechanically inclined, you could feasibly get a higher mileage GTP or Regal GS, and still have tons of money left over to start modding the hell out of it. And you'd still have your monte as a daily driver.

-Riggs.

PS. Don't scoop up the Regal GS that I have my eye on now, because if I can get the cash together by summertime, I've got myself a sleeper project turbo car

Old 12-20-2008, 04:44 PM

bumpin, I actually felt bad for correcting you as your knowledge of these engines/transmissions and the mods available for them is impressive.
don't feel bad at all- I definitely dont know everything, always something new to learn

When you start to factor in cost of getting the car to a qualified mechanic
This is another point I forgot to mention abouta swap car vs a normal car- maintenance. If you don't have the mechancial ability to do a swap, there is a pretty good chance you don't have the ability to do a lot of major repairs either- and when I shop finds out that it is a swap car (assuming its a powertrain related repair)- they tend to gouge you, especially if the swap has a lot of "ghetto rigged" parts.

I've seen this happen in the past- the guy did the swap himself, and it had a few bugs when done (normal with any engine swap in any car)- well he couldn't figure it out, so he took it to a local shop who ended up redoing a lot of his swap wiring (before us 5th gen guys knew to use the 98/99 Z harness)- and really charged the heck out of him- enough that he ended up getting rid of the car after some mechanical gremlins popped up.