Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

There's No Stopping Mopar

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 07:28 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Old 05-08-2012, 07:37 AM

"Please Stop in for a Visit"
If you can Stop your Chrysler Vehicle ?
(potential problems in electrical stability control and anti-lock braking systems)

Yes some Chrysler go fast & just don't want to STOP
(new motto)
EnJoy your Drive in a Chrysler.....it can be thrill'in 4-Sure
we don't like to stop, we like to keep on going....Get outa our way ~> beep-beep

Last edited by Space; 05-08-2012 at 08:03 AM.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:42 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member

I'd rather that than GM not doing a single thing like on the 3400 LIM gasket and other issues with these cars and other models... I know there's actuator issues with the Trails Blazers, Envoys etc that are a very common problem and were never addressed..

Also, Mopar is actually sending out the notices, GM has a tendency to do a 'silent recall' where they don't tell anyone about the recall but if someone looks for it, they may sometimes find it. I've heard about this one more than i've seen it though

Old 05-08-2012, 09:07 AM

Hi `Mitch, good points
It's all about profit $....I think every auto company in the past has overlooked some of the problems & letting their customer's know about them...

With the World Wide Web it is getting more difficult to hide.
I think all major companies are now doing a better jon on notifications to customers...Or they are forced to by the mass communications network...I do like several of the latest Mopar products and I'm happy that they are doing better... It's good for the USA & our World

Old 05-08-2012, 11:01 AM

It's a return to the muscle car days. With four drum brakes the muscle cars didn't like to stop either. BEEP BEEP!

Old 05-08-2012, 12:08 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by trewyn15
I'd rather that than GM not doing a single thing like on the 3400 LIM gasket and other issues with these cars and other models...
Just as an FYI - the LIM issue existed as far back as '94 in the 3100 (same motor as the 3400, just smaller cylinders). Also, people blame DEX for LIM failures, my '94 3100 came with green coolant from the factory, only used green LIMs failed twice.
GM did not make the gasket, but I have read some of the TSBs about this problem and it changed over the years. GM actually changed gasket vendors (they went between Fel-Pro and Mr. Gasket) in attempts to correct the problem. But all these gasket manufactures used nylon gaskets that can hold up to the constant hot/cold coolant. I don't know if GM told them to go nylon or just said "make us a gasket for this".

We know of a lot of issues in GM cars because that's what we own and drive. I can rattle of a few myself ('94 Grand Ams have horrible turn signal wand issues, replaced mine 3 times, the original Grand Am heater heater core inlet/outlet tubes are plastic and that's what causes the core to fail). If you worked on non-GMs, you'd find a lot of things those vendors did not address too.

Old 05-08-2012, 03:13 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
Just as an FYI - the LIM issue existed as far back as '94 in the 3100 (same motor as the 3400, just smaller cylinders). Also, people blame DEX for LIM failures, my '94 3100 came with green coolant from the factory, only used green LIMs failed twice.
GM did not make the gasket, but I have read some of the TSBs about this problem and it changed over the years. GM actually changed gasket vendors (they went between Fel-Pro and Mr. Gasket) in attempts to correct the problem. But all these gasket manufactures used nylon gaskets that can hold up to the constant hot/cold coolant. I don't know if GM told them to go nylon or just said "make us a gasket for this".

We know of a lot of issues in GM cars because that's what we own and drive. I can rattle of a few myself ('94 Grand Ams have horrible turn signal wand issues, replaced mine 3 times, the original Grand Am heater heater core inlet/outlet tubes are plastic and that's what causes the core to fail). If you worked on non-GMs, you'd find a lot of things those vendors did not address too.
I see your point for sure.

I work on Mopar a lot too, I know that with my Town and Country, along with Caravans and other similar models and engines (3800 v6) that there is a problem with the power steering reservoir, it collects dirt and wines.

They released a new design but never initiated a recall or anything to that nature. Kind of BS if you ask me.

But it's also something everyone should consider when buying a car. Which goes against my point :p but I see GM doing the least 'public' recalls for these issues, they try to keep it low-key.

Old 05-08-2012, 05:17 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

If you ever saw the movie "Fight Club" they make a reference about recalls. It comes down to which is more expensive, the resulting lawsuits from those who find and sue over the failures OR fixing the problem.
I'm willing to bet that has something to do with what recalls you find posted (not all but some) and anything that impacts the safety of the people in and around the car, well, those are a priority.

Back in the mid-90's one of the news shows (like 20/20 or 60 minutes, something national) did a segment about the Ford Aerostar or Windstar. The issue was a few people had been brought on charges for either killing or injuring a person with their vehicle. One person that was serving jail time was an elderly man who killed his wife at a church function with the mini-van.
All these people claimed that as soon as they started the car and put it into drive it just took off and they could not stop it in time (one was they were caught by surprise). The claim of "sudden acceleration" (hmm, didn't Toyota just have that issue).
It took a long time to get these people out of jail, as the problem was a design fault. The problem is that the cruise control system is in an "on" state the moment the vehicle is turned on and it's running (unlike the GMs I've worked with that you actually have to turn on and then set the cruise). The first attempt to explain the cause was defunct (as I think they had to create a situation that was not viable, they just proved with a switch box rig it "could" happen but not how in those cases). I think when these people were finally set free a few years after their incidents it was found if the control module for the cruise got the right amount of moisture in it, it was form the connection needed to make it accelerate!
How's that for a crappy issue in need of recall!
Not sure how credible this item is, but it's a PDF of a supposed court case on that vary issue (talks about a lot of topics I recall from that old news program):
http://suddenacceleration.com/pdfs/Jarvis.pdf

Old 05-08-2012, 07:32 PM

Thats just it. I don't want to stop when I am driving my Mopar.

Old 05-08-2012, 08:50 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by trewyn15
I'd rather that than GM not doing a single thing like on the 3400 LIM gasket and other issues with these cars and other models... I know there's actuator issues with the Trails Blazers, Envoys etc that are a very common problem and were never addressed..

Also, Mopar is actually sending out the notices, GM has a tendency to do a 'silent recall' where they don't tell anyone about the recall but if someone looks for it, they may sometimes find it. I've heard about this one more than i've seen it though
Like the guage cluster issues in the 6th gen Monte.

Quick Reply: There's No Stopping Mopar