Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Monte with a 6

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 02:39 PM

Im very curious why this little kid is so convinced that a 6 speed and 560+ hp is so impossible. Also typical 16 year old talking up daddys car because he thinks its AMAZINGLY FAST, unless you show a dyno sheet showing 375hp, or admit the car is modded, clearly its just bone stock with a few bolt ons pushing 275hp. They didnt make any special magically fast cars that only your father got his hands on. sorry to burst your bubble!

Even if he went out and picked up an actual vette motor out of the same year vette its only a 25hp difference!

Last edited by ar3em11; 02-20-2011 at 02:44 PM.
Old 02-20-2011, 02:47 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by ar3em11
Im very curious why this little kid is so convinced that a 6 speed and 560+ hp is so impossible. Also typical 16 year old talking up daddys car because he thinks its AMAZINGLY FAST, unless you show a dyno sheet showing 375hp, or admit the car is modded, clearly its just bone stock with a few bolt ons pushing 275hp. They didnt make any special magically fast cars that only your father got his hands on. sorry to burst your bubble!

Even if he went out and picked up an actual vette motor out of the same year vette its only a 25hp difference!
While I agree that a lot of people don't understand what hp feels like, none of us really know what his dad's Camaro is making, and to be honest it's not a big deal. If he doesn't have a dyno sheet for it, so what. It's a quick car and he likes it and that's what matters.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, there's no need for name calling in this thread. darkbb asked a legitimate question, and we're doing our best to give him the most accurate informationpossible.

Old 02-20-2011, 02:54 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by darkbb
...and your hp on the 93 z28 camaro is totally wrong...ours may have gotten some hp from the magnaflow exhaust and possibly from a new air intake system i am not for sure...but this is a corvette engine we are talking about here...i would say minimum hp that it has is 375, if you dont believe me, come to my house, we will get it out, and i will put the sucker all the way to the floor in 1st gear and then you will see that this car isnt the normal 93 camaro.
Okay, first things first. As you can see in the quote above, the 375 hp is your guess. You guessing doesn't make it true. And how you feel inside the car while putting "the sucker all the way to the floor in 1st gear" is not an accurate measurement of horsepower in ANYONE'S book. That's what dyno's are for.

As people have already stated, the engine put out 275 hp when stock. This info is available on many sources. But I'll link one of them here for reference:

http://www.cars.com/chevrolet/camaro...=USA30CHC021B0

Then you mention the Magnaflow exhaust. Magnaflow's dyno test shows a 13 hp gain over stock. I'll even post the dyno results and link to Magnaflow for you.

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/dynos/15620.jpg

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/s...zone=all&id=85

That's with Magnaflows entire cat-back system. I'll even be generous and say that maybe he has a high-flow cat too.

What air intake system does he have that gives him a gain of 75+ horsepower?

Never mind telling people to come down and sit in the car while you put the sucker to the floor. Nobody's butt has a built in dynomometer. If you say the car makes 375 hp, go get it dyno tested and put your money where your mouth is.

As for your question about the Monte. It's a nice idea. But the 6th gen Monte's were never engineered for RWD. It would cost a lot more than 4 grand to do the conversion properly. Don't forget you need to alter the interior to accomodate the larger tunnel in the floor needed. The existing tunnel won't work. Plus all the PCM programming, re-wiring, and everything everyone else said. It's just not worth doing. Nice idea though.

Old 02-20-2011, 03:06 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2011
Monte Of The Month -- December 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Go get it dyno tested !!,My vette came from factory with 350/350hp 4 speed and at times feels like my monte pulls away better. no dyno tests at this time...

Old 02-20-2011, 03:15 PM

ok...calling me a "little kid" you can go screw yourself please...i didnt ask for your negative input...and taz...i would not have any idea where to get this car dyno tested...truth is, it might not even get there lol...it has almost 200,000 miles on it...it is a driver, it is fun to drive around and hot rod around corners...it does have the full magna flow exhaust system with the high flow cat...also idk what the performance part is called but it has to do with the headers...and we do know that it is putting out more than 350 hp...and id say around 375hp...im not an idiot kid who is just talking up his dads camaro..it is a cool rare car with added mods and a hot engine that isnt the stock crap (but still good) engine it came with...

but the truth stands, do i really care if anyone on here believes me or not? it is beside the point because i asked about my monte being rwd...and when you said that the existing tunnel wouldnt work, my heart sank lol...but w.e

would it be possible to raise the car a bit and then the tunnel would work? idk...maybe not but its w.e lol

Old 02-20-2011, 03:20 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by zjerry
Go get it dyno tested !!,My vette came from factory with 350/350hp 4 speed and at times feels like my monte pulls away better. no dyno tests at this time...
Yeah, that's the problem with pre 1972 vehicles. Opposite of popular opinion, the factory often over rated cars back then. Once we went away from SAE gross hp ratings and went to SAE net, that's when we start seeing an accurate hp number (post 1972). Our 3800's are pretty good engines, but nowadays, v6's are making more hp then v8's use to.

Old 02-20-2011, 03:23 PM
5 Year Member

Also darkbb, talk to this guy about the conversion: http://www.youtube.com/user/rwdmonte

I know he did it to a 5th gen Monte, so it will be different, but he could give you an idea about what all is needed to get the job done.

Old 02-20-2011, 03:46 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Not beating this subject to death. My final comments on the camaro. To get the kind of horsepower your dad's getting, he most likely has more than just an exhaust system and air intake kit. He most likely has other things done also. Which is cool. The more power you can get out of the engine, the better. Hope you guys get to enjoy it for a while longer. Sounds like a fun car.

But back to the Monte.

It's not impossible to do. With enough money anything can be done. Just a question of do you want to spend that kind of money to do it? Obviously at least one person did. Like you said, someday when you win the lottery and are looking for a project to do, just for kicks, it would make an interesting project.

Old 02-20-2011, 03:58 PM

yeah itd be a fun project to do at home and take my time on...but yeah taz...i posted some pics of it in my garage...its a moroso air intake btw...i think its a better version of the stock...not a beast though...

Old 02-20-2011, 04:07 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2011
Monte Of The Month -- December 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Itd be a fun project alot of work for home shop, but With enough money anything can be done. Good luck with your project.