Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Modding ideas and questions.. Help

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 08:10 AM
Question Modding ideas and questions.. Help

Ok everyone I'm new to the monte scene and the Modding scene all together I have a few questions I hope you all can answer question one where should I go from here I have an 04 monte ss dale Jr supercharged and I recently put a k&n cold air intake and a dynomax super turbo cat back exhaust everything else is stock as far as I know what are some mods to go from here. Second question what is a Whipple?
Also wanting to add I'm going to be junking my k&n intake because it's the biggest pos I've ever bought i am ordering a wizaired from zzp in the next few days
Please post and give me your knowledge

Old 09-26-2013, 08:26 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

One of the best things you can do is read this thread: https://montecarloforum.com/forum/en...-bumpin-24896/

Your engine is the L67. A whipple is a twin-screw supercharger which works differently than your roots blower. I would keep the supercharger that you have and just get it ported. Other things you can do is free up the exhaust. Headers (or at LEAST a ZZP Powerlog + Downpipe) are necessary before you do much modding. The front exhaust manifold and stock downpipe are the biggest restrictions on these cars.

Then you can lower the thermostat setting from 195 to 180. This helps keeps your iron block cool, because iron engines and heat aren't that great. Then you probably want to open the valves a tiny bit more for that little extra air into the engine, this is where the 1.9 modified rockers sit. Doing that job also let's you replace the valve cover gaskets which are a known leak spot.

Now that you have more air going IN the engine, and more usable air volume, and the allowance of excess air OUT of the engine, you will need your spark plugs to fire a little better, because now you want to tune and add more boost. So you drop to a colder spark plug (like that thread suggests) and then you find yourself a really nice tuner. You make sure that your car is running well as it sits, making sure there is no knock retardation happening, and that you are safe to start dropping pulleys and making boost.

Unless you tune yourself, you drop down to a 3.6 and get the car tuned. If you can get a good amount of timing, while staying knock free, you will probably want to try your luck at a 3.4 pulley.

Then you enjoy the car for a little while, and realize that the 3.4 pulley isn't as fun as it used to be...

Then you start looking at intercoolers, decided against the SSIC because saving that little bit of money isn't worth it. Then you realize the ZZP Powerlog isn't going to handle much more power... then you do the full swap to headers.

Now you think a cam would be a better option over the rockers... now you are ready to drop to a 3.2 pulley... maybe even a 3.0 pulley

Now you can't get traction wherever you go. You have all of this power and can't put it down! Your transmission is feeling weak, you need to spend a lot of money in your suspension to keep the tires planted, but every launch hurts the trans more and more... you price out a rebuilt transmission from TripleEdgePerformance.com and see that you need another $2500. The car sits for a little bit while you save....

Oh excuse me. I seem to have went a little far there

Happy Modding!!! Read that first thread that I posted, and make yourself a little to-do list. We can help you out when you give us a budget and think you have ideas with where you wanna go. It's nice to run it by some people before you jump the gun and spend the dough.

Old 09-26-2013, 08:38 AM

Thank you so much for the advise and knowledge I'm looking at doing little mods here a there like a few hundred a month until February INCOME TAXES!! lol sorry bout that then I'll be ready to spend prolly 3k-4k in the transmission and suspension.
But before I get too far into all these mods how far can I go without ruining my transmission or blowing the motor? And is it a good idea to get to 300+hp and drive the car daily?

Old 09-26-2013, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by SS-L67-Jr
Also wanting to add I'm going to be junking my k&n intake because it's the biggest pos I've ever bought i am ordering a wizaired from zzp in the next few days

I've read many member's that are really happy with Wizaired & with ZZP...
Have you checked out one of our Sponsor's "CAI"...If you have time check it out & compare Keep us updated on your mod's & what you do ? GOOD LUCK

Cold Air Inductions Inc. - Cold Air Intake Systems - High Performance Cold Air Intakes & Filters

Old 09-26-2013, 08:56 AM

Thank you for the link space so with these kits I got to use my factory tube?
Plus I for sure will keep you all posted once I get my Internet hooked up this weekend I'll get pics of the car and what I've done it's a pain on my phone lol

Old 09-26-2013, 09:12 AM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
One of the best things you can do is read this thread: https://montecarloforum.com/forum/en...-bumpin-24896/

Your engine is the L67. A whipple is a twin-screw supercharger which works differently than your roots blower. I would keep the supercharger that you have and just get it ported. Other things you can do is free up the exhaust. Headers (or at LEAST a ZZP Powerlog + Downpipe) are necessary before you do much modding. The front exhaust manifold and stock downpipe are the biggest restrictions on these cars.

Then you can lower the thermostat setting from 195 to 180. This helps keeps your iron block cool, because iron engines and heat aren't that great. Then you probably want to open the valves a tiny bit more for that little extra air into the engine, this is where the 1.9 modified rockers sit. Doing that job also let's you replace the valve cover gaskets which are a known leak spot.

Now that you have more air going IN the engine, and more usable air volume, and the allowance of excess air OUT of the engine, you will need your spark plugs to fire a little better, because now you want to tune and add more boost. So you drop to a colder spark plug (like that thread suggests) and then you find yourself a really nice tuner. You make sure that your car is running well as it sits, making sure there is no knock retardation happening, and that you are safe to start dropping pulleys and making boost.

Unless you tune yourself, you drop down to a 3.6 and get the car tuned. If you can get a good amount of timing, while staying knock free, you will probably want to try your luck at a 3.4 pulley.

Then you enjoy the car for a little while, and realize that the 3.4 pulley isn't as fun as it used to be...

Then you start looking at intercoolers, decided against the SSIC because saving that little bit of money isn't worth it. Then you realize the ZZP Powerlog isn't going to handle much more power... then you do the full swap to headers.

Now you think a cam would be a better option over the rockers... now you are ready to drop to a 3.2 pulley... maybe even a 3.0 pulley

Now you can't get traction wherever you go. You have all of this power and can't put it down! Your transmission is feeling weak, you need to spend a lot of money in your suspension to keep the tires planted, but every launch hurts the trans more and more... you price out a rebuilt transmission from TripleEdgePerformance.com and see that you need another $2500. The car sits for a little bit while you save....

Oh excuse me. I seem to have went a little far there

Happy Modding!!! Read that first thread that I posted, and make yourself a little to-do list. We can help you out when you give us a budget and think you have ideas with where you wanna go. It's nice to run it by some people before you jump the gun and spend the dough.

Hey mike do u know of any mpg gains/loses feom the piwerlog and downpipe? Same for the hp?

Old 09-26-2013, 09:18 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

The biggest difference for MPGs will come from a tune. I wouldn't worry about spending money to save MPGs. The difference will be so minor that you won't reap the benefits for a while.

Gains for HP with those mods aren't much (if any). They are supporting mods, meaning before you actually start to make power, you need to free up the exhaust first.

Old 09-27-2013, 08:57 AM

Intercooler kit will be the best investment and best foundation for making power....and then more power once the mod bug gets ya.