Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Interior modding questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 12:50 PM
1 Year Member
Default Interior modding questions

Hey everyone, so I am planning on doing some interior work. I'm holding off on some other things like exhaust work, CAI, etc. for now. And I wanted to do some work on the inside mainly to break up all the black. I have an 06' Monte Carlo SS and besides around the gauge cluster, and roof, the entire interior is black. I thought I would paint around the door handle in red similar to how a couple people on our forums have done, like Tadcaster. I also thought about doing something with my seat. I wanted to change the leather from black to red where all the perforation is. I thought that might give a good look. And then I want to have the SS logo embroidered into all the head rests in red with a white outline. As far as the embroidering goes, I know I will probably need to go somewhere to have that done, does anyone know what something like that costs? As far as the door goes, I contacted Tadcaster as well as Turbo Monte to see how they did that to their Monte's. But by chance does anyone know how easy it is to get those pieces out? or would I have to that the whole inside of the door off and just tape around where I want to paint? Now for the seats, is this something that I could simply dye, or since there is perforation, should I just find some kind of shop who does work like that and leave it to the pros. I have never done any kind of leather dying before, so I am not sure how difficult something like that would be.

Old 05-05-2013, 04:50 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by iMuf
Hey everyone, so I am planning on doing some interior work. I'm holding off on some other things like exhaust work, CAI, etc. for now. And I wanted to do some work on the inside mainly to break up all the black. I have an 06' Monte Carlo SS and besides around the gauge cluster, and roof, the entire interior is black. I thought I would paint around the door handle in red similar to how a couple people on our forums have done, like Tadcaster. I also thought about doing something with my seat. I wanted to change the leather from black to red where all the perforation is. I thought that might give a good look. And then I want to have the SS logo embroidered into all the head rests in red with a white outline. As far as the embroidering goes, I know I will probably need to go somewhere to have that done, does anyone know what something like that costs? As far as the door goes, I contacted Tadcaster as well as Turbo Monte to see how they did that to their Monte's. But by chance does anyone know how easy it is to get those pieces out? or would I have to that the whole inside of the door off and just tape around where I want to paint? Now for the seats, is this something that I could simply dye, or since there is perforation, should I just find some kind of shop who does work like that and leave it to the pros. I have never done any kind of leather dying before, so I am not sure how difficult something like that would be.
I've been in the same boat as you about dying those seats. I did the research and also ran test, paint nor dye stuck to the leather you might have to jus get the seats reupholstered like how I'm doing. I got quoted 950 to get 2 toned black and orange seats for the front and back. Right now they are tan. We might be able to help each other out cause I'm redoin ma interior. I'm 50 % done

Old 05-05-2013, 05:13 PM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by owens91
I've been in the same boat as you about dying those seats. I did the research and also ran test, paint nor dye stuck to the leather you might have to jus get the seats reupholstered like how I'm doing. I got quoted 950 to get 2 toned black and orange seats for the front and back. Right now they are tan. We might be able to help each other out cause I'm redoin ma interior. I'm 50 % done
That would be awesome man. Did you have a place that specializes in upholstery quote you that? I may check around here and see if there are any other places like a custom shop or something that may be able to do it cheaper.

Old 05-05-2013, 08:42 PM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by iMuf
That would be awesome man. Did you have a place that specializes in upholstery quote you that? I may check around here and see if there are any other places like a custom shop or something that may be able to do it cheaper.
yea it was an auto upholstry place i googled

Old 05-06-2013, 07:12 PM
10 Year Member

after long thought ive decided to just look for black leather seats. im sure it would be cheaper than custom seats and they will still look nice in the car im sure

Old 05-06-2013, 07:29 PM
1 Year Member

I feel you man, I still want to do some custom work. I was thinking about something like this

Old 05-06-2013, 08:59 PM

doesnt katskinz still sell the seat covers in whatever color you want? they used to sell them. you take your leathers off and recover them with theres. check there site perhaps they can be contacted about it.

Old 05-06-2013, 10:20 PM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by TheMonteMan
doesnt katskinz still sell the seat covers in whatever color you want? they used to sell them. you take your leathers off and recover them with theres. check there site perhaps they can be contacted about it.
I didn't even know about them. I'll check them out. Thanks

Old 05-07-2013, 04:33 PM
10 Year Member

the seats i was quoted for look like this except where there is red there is orange. and then all of the stiching was gonna b orange too

Old 05-07-2013, 08:35 PM
1 Year Member

Are the 06' Monte Carlo seats the same as the 06' Impala seats? Because Katzkin doesn't have the Monte Carlo as a choice for seats.

Quick Reply: Interior modding questions