Paint/Body Work/Exterior For discussions about painting your Monte, body work, and other exterior mods.

help with roof drip modding on my Monte

Old 11-30-2014, 03:12 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default help with roof drip modding on my Monte

The roof drip moldings on our cars how are the fastened down? I just washed my 03 Monte and noticed the one on the passenger side is coming lose in the middle maybe a 4 inch long strip. It can’t have been like that too long I just washed and waxed the car about 10 days ago. thanks guys..

Old 12-01-2014, 10:32 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Clean the area under the loose molding on the car (wax remover) and the weatherstrip (soap and water). Apply a thin coat of contact cement on the car and the weatherstrip. Let it set up for a few minutes then press the weathstrip into place. Carefully closing the door will apply pressure to the repair and hold the weatherstrip in place. After it dries wax the area around it and you should be good to go.

Old 12-01-2014, 02:25 PM
5 Year Member

03SSLE, thanks for the reply. I guess I used the wrong term. it's the piece on the roof I'll try to post a pic.. help with roof drip modding on my Monte-photo.jpg .. I think its held with an adhesive. don't know if I should attempt to repair it myself or take to a body shop. I really want it done right. thanks again and I apologize for any misunderstanding...

Old 12-01-2014, 03:21 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2011
Monte Of The Month -- December 2016
10 Year Member

That Part on the roof is held on with double sided tape. , I used 3M tape to install roof rails off of a Daytona grand prix on my Monte SS

Old 12-01-2014, 05:27 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

The problem with the roof molding is that they are part metal and bend easily. If you pull them up you probably won't get the strip to lay perfectly flat again without replacing the piece - it sort of warps. The best solution is to change 'em to fiberglass roof rails like zjerry and I, but those can be hard to find. And I suppose we are trying to fix this with out spending much. That's not going to be too easy

Old 12-01-2014, 07:09 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by zjerry
That Part on the roof is held on with double sided tape. , I used 3M tape to install roof rails off of a Daytona grand prix on my Monte SS

Originally Posted by JuniorCar
The problem with the roof molding is that they are part metal and bend easily. If you pull them up you probably won't get the strip to lay perfectly flat again without replacing the piece - it sort of warps. The best solution is to change 'em to fiberglass roof rails like zjerry and I, but those can be hard to find. And I suppose we are trying to fix this with out spending much. That's not going to be too easy

Thanks for the replies, I baby my cars so even if it costs more I’m willing to go the extra money. I bought my car new and it has a little over 35k on it and I plan on keeping my Monte for a few more years. Even as a FWD car I love them, too bad Chevy stopped making Montes. I haven’t taken it all the way off yet do these just cover the seam where the quarter panel meets the roof?

Old 12-01-2014, 08:46 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2011
Monte Of The Month -- December 2016
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Blair1955
Thanks for the replies, I baby my cars so even if it costs more I’m willing to go the extra money. I bought my car new and it has a little over 35k on it and I plan on keeping my Monte for a few more years. Even as a FWD car I love them, too bad Chevy stopped making Montes. I haven’t taken it all the way off yet do these just cover the seam where the quarter panel meets the roof?

Yeah , it covers the seam where the quarter panel meets the roof..