Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Mobil 1, tire review, and more...

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 02:09 PM
Default Mobil 1, tire review, and more...

Hey everyone. It has been a few months since I have really been active on this site, so I figured I would give just a few updates.

Still on schedule for install of my major mod's coming up in May at ZZP..

I have recently purchased new tires, and I promised I wouldn't write a review until I had at least 3 thousand miles on them...

I bought the Eagle F1 All Season tires... and they are quite simply, amazing. Extremely tight handling, excellent in resisting hydroplaning, and awesome on the snow. I would recommend these to ANYONE that has the extra cash for a higher performance all season! Strongly Recommend! =)

In other news, I have talked to lots of mechanics, and they suggest NOT to do an engine flush before switching to Mobil 1 Synthetic. They suggested that the flush is nothing more than a kerosene blend, designed to eat away at the grime, but with that, they also take oil pan seals, etc with them. That means that a flush COULD damage your seals. So I am going to simply drain my old oil, and add the new Mobil 1 tomorrow morning. I am quite excited to be trying a new oil blend, and am anxious to see what kind of effect it will have on my valvetrain, etc. I also am looking forward to NOT having to change my oil every 2500 miles.. =)

I also got my body kit fixed, only set me back 1900 bucks! lol. Car shop did a great job though, so it was well worth it.

That's it for now... hope everyone else is doing alright!

-Keegan

Old 01-20-2008, 03:31 PM
Default RE: Mobil 1, tire review, and more...

Hi `Keegan,
Great to see you online and posting. Again, thanks for your update. I've
learned a lot from reading your posts. Also good tip on Mobil 1 switch, and
review on your Goodyears.
Glad to read that your body shop did a good job, but WoW $1900 : (
Look forward to reading your future posts, and the results of your
updated `mod's. Thanks & Peace/Out/Space.

Old 01-21-2008, 08:19 PM

Just threw my new Mobil 1 in my car today, everything went great! =) Hopefully no complications from the switch down the line.

Old 01-22-2008, 08:34 AM

Space - Congratulations on your 6000th post!!!!!! If your posts weren't so interesting and informative, I'd call you a post hog, but KEEP ON POSTING!!!

Old 01-22-2008, 01:48 PM

cool writeup with the mobil 1 I was just looking at the 5 quart jug just this afternoon and wandering what it would take to swap over. I am needing an oil change anyways so i know what i will be doing in the snow this weekend, lol.

Old 01-22-2008, 04:49 PM

Well, as of this evening, I checked my oil level, everything is A-ok. I made sure the filter was still snug, and that my oil pressure was okay while driving to work and back. Everything checks out.

So as of right now, the only thing I did to change my oil is:

Warm up car.
Jack car up.
Remove drain plug.
Drain oil.
Remove old filter.
Lubricate new filter packing.
Install new filter ( I used the K&N PN#1001 and had no problems, whatsoever, cool thing too is it goes on with a 1" wrench or adjustable wrench)
Re-installed plug.
Added oil. 1 Quart at a time to allow to trickle down through the valvetrain.
Started engine.
Let idle for 10 minutes.
Do leak check.
Done =)

OH, and be sure if you are going to change to Synthetic, buy that 11 dollar cap from GM. That way if for some reason your car is ever in a shop and they do an oil change, they know not to put that junky oil back in, and stay with the good ol new synthetic. =)

Old 01-22-2008, 07:37 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Don't forget to reset your oil life monitor!
As for the Goodyear F1's, I believe it's the same tire that is on LadyT's Solstice GXP, at least I know they are F1's. They are probably the best factory tires I've ever driven on. The Eagles on the Intimidator were crap.

Old 01-22-2008, 07:41 PM

Ah yes, forgot that step!

Turn your ignition key to ON, but to NOT start the car. Push the gas pedal 3 times within 5 seconds, then turn the key to off, and start your car. The oil life should be reset. If that doesn't work, follow your directions in your manual, which will guide you through your factory radio. =)

Yah, I was REALLY impressed by the F1's so far Wayne, and every day they just get better. Excellent launches and even better response. Feels so much tighter then anything I have driven before =)

And yah, the Eagle RSA's SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Anyone else that have them, get rid of them. =)