Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Low oil pressure at Idle?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 04:58 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

^^ See Above ^^

Later...and good luck...

Old 04-20-2013, 02:03 PM
10 Year Member

Ok so i have replaced the sending unit that i got pretty cheap last week and the problem was still there. Now today it is around 3 degrees Celsius outside which is pretty cold. On my drive from work to home everyday my low oil pressure light would always come on when i got close to home. Today it didnt come on once. Could this just men 5w30 is too thin for my engine when its spring/summer?

Old 04-20-2013, 11:52 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Lorenzo
Could this just men 5w30 is too thin for my engine when its spring/summer?
I would want to doubt that. I've used 5w-30 year round in my location (and we get rather cold winters and hot summers) and I have never heard of that causing issues with the oil pressure system readings.

As long as you have pressure maybe it's a bad wire....? Just a thought.

Old 04-24-2013, 09:06 AM
10 Year Member

Hey Guys! Well i got some good news So on Monday i decided to change out the oil from my car. I was due for an oil change and this was the time to see if this would fix my problem. I went out and got a new fram filter and Lucas Oil's 10w30 Synthetic. I drained out the old il and it was really black, i took the filter off and it felt and looked a bit dented aswell. Placed the new oil and filter in and ive been driving it for 2 days now and No oil pressure at all! Im super happy right now

Old 04-24-2013, 09:29 AM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2013
10 Year Member

I've heard of that before. A dent in the filter disrupts the flow of oil. Also I heard the same with some of the cheaper filter.

Old 04-24-2013, 09:33 AM

Hey Guys! Well i got some good news So on Monday i decided to change out the oil from my car. I was due for an oil change and this was the time to see if this would fix my problem. I went out and got a new fram filter and Lucas Oil's 10w30 Synthetic. I drained out the old il and it was really black, i took the filter off and it felt and looked a bit dented aswell. Placed the new oil and filter in and ive been driving it for 2 days now and No oil pressure at all! Im super happy right now
I know I am getting older but did you read what you wrote? You have been driving it for 2 days now and NO oil pressure and your super happy?

You are not listening to the advice you are being given. Low oil pressure when warm is a MECHANICAL issue. Just because you changed the oil does not correct the problem. What you have done is changed out oil with a LOW viscosity index level or in simple terms thinning oil for new oil with a higher viscosity index level or thicker oil. The problem is still there whether it be with as bad oil pressure sending unit/gauge or from some bearing being warn out of spec. The reason it is lower at an idle or at the lowest RPM level is because oil is circulated via a mechanical oil pump. The RPM the more volume and pressure the pump produces. If a bearing is warn too much the pump can not compensate for the extra space and the oil pressure decreases in the whole system.

The problem will return as soon as the oil breaks down a little. So I will reiterate what several other helping members have suggested and that is to get a MANUAL oil pressure gauge on the motor to find out if it the motor or the sending unit/gauge.

Old 04-24-2013, 09:51 AM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2013
10 Year Member

Yo, calm yourself its probably just a typo.

Old 04-24-2013, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Red Nightmare
Yo, calm yourself its probably just a typo.
LOL I am calm and I realize it is a typo, however he posted this same issue in another thread and has not taken the repeated advice. In the other thread he said the MC wasn't worth all the trouble and was gonna just sell it (and I am paraphrasing).

Old 04-24-2013, 11:58 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

I went out and got a new fram filter and Lucas Oil's 10w30 Synthetic.
If my meory serves, GM recommends 5w-30. But for all intensive purposes, 10w-30 vs 5w-30 should not be a big difference in a daily driver.

I drained out the old il and it was really black, i took the filter off and it felt and looked a bit dented aswell.
Good find! Now my next question is, was the filter dented when it was originally put on or did something dent it?

Placed the new oil and filter in and ive been driving it for 2 days now and No oil pressure at all! Im super happy right now
I hope a word was incorrectly placed or mis-typed. Since you're happy I have trouble believing you have no oil pressure. I assume you mean no problems with oil pressure (seems to read normal). So I will assume pressure is back to normal (hence the being happy) and glad it seems it was just a problem with the oil filter.

Old 04-24-2013, 12:01 PM

I am sorry but a dented oil filter WILL NOT effect oil pressure in the least.

Quick Reply: Low oil pressure at Idle?