Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Finally looking into headers...

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 01:28 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2010
Talking Finally looking into headers...

Already well I've finally taken time to look for headers on ebay to get whenever I do my exhaust (res + ubend delete) & these are the ones I have found. Has anyone used any of these or heard of any of these? or possibly knows of any others that are around the same price that are better?

First ones...

Second set...

Third set....

Fourth set...

Last set...

Thanks for the help guys!!!

Old 01-08-2011, 08:28 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I'd go with the SpeedDaddy's. They're usually pretty cheap and are based on the SLP headers.

However, if you can get your hands on a set of TOG's do that instead!

Old 01-08-2011, 08:45 PM

I know the GP guys are starting to use Speed Daddy's. Some of them have slight fitment issues and have to mod there tunnel others use a different clamp (band type clamp) to help seal. But other than that the SPeed Daddy's seem to be a pretty good value for what they are. $200 shipped is not a bad price for headers. What I did for my 3800 build I bought some TOG headers (stainless steel huge thing for me, ceramic coating FTW) used and I know there aren't any problems with fitment and leakage issues with them.
Stay away from Pacesetters! To many people have had issues with sealing.

Old 01-08-2011, 08:48 PM

I'd go with the SpeedDaddy's. They're usually pretty cheap and are based on the SLP headers.
This. Some of the ebay headers are known to be welded incorrectly and be a total pain in the ***, as they just don't fit in any way because of it (and require a good bit of modification of the headers to do so). A few brands claim to be stainless, but aren't, just random stuff that the companies pull to sell a few sets of cheap headers.
Most of what you posted are pacesetter knock-offs also, which tend to leak from all of the slip-fit connections.

You can always look around the classified section on clubgp, there tends to be a lot of used parts moving through there. I'd be surprised if you couldn't find a set of used TOG's, SLP's, or ZZP headers for around the same price as some of the ebay headers.

Old 01-08-2011, 09:16 PM

My vote goes to Speed Daddy's, which is the cheap route I will take.
Reasons why have already been discussed above.

Good luck!

Old 01-08-2011, 09:22 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2010

Ohh okay well sounds like Speed Daddy is what I will be going with...

one more question, I know that when you put headers on you don't have to do a u-bend delete but what about the cat? Would I just attach it on to the end of these pipes or what? That's the part that's really confusing me for some reason

Old 01-08-2011, 09:48 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2011
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Wow I remember back in the day only having SLP or TOG's headers looks like more of a varieyt today, although I don't recognize many of the names listed.Good to know though

Joe

Old 01-08-2011, 09:48 PM

one more question, I know that when you put headers on you don't have to do a u-bend delete but what about the cat? Would I just attach it on to the end of these pipes or what? That's the part that's really confusing me for some reason
Depends on the headers honestly. If you look at the stock exhaust, it has 4 main parts. Front mani, crossover, rear mani, downpipe (including cat and u-bend), and then the cat-back (including resonator and mufflers, etc.). Each of those parts bolt together to form the whole exhaust.
Most of the headers pictured above would require you to cut your cat out of your downpipe and have it welded to the their downpipe section and their cat-back flange section (which would eliminate the u-bend).
You can opt to have an aftermarket high-flow cat or a piece of straight pipe (if you can run without a cat..not usually legal though) welded into the downpipe instead of cutting up the stock downpipe, and some of the vendors also sell pre-made downpipes (catted and catless) for some header designs.

Old 01-08-2011, 11:10 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Another thing to think about is that when people install headers, sometimes their front or rear 02 sensor fails. My front 02 sensor failed a month after the headers went in. I've heard it's pretty common, but I don't know that for a fact. They're about $60-70/sensor. Just keep in mind that that could happen, but hopefully not.

Old 01-08-2011, 11:34 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

A lot of people talk like headers are a simple upgrade, but take a look under there Britney. And discuss this with who ever you are going to get to install them. Let me play the devils advocate. Clearance is really tight in there, and if your going to go headers you should be prepared to go all the way. What's this car to you? How much do you enjoy having Air Conditioning? It might have to go. I`ve decided against headers since I have to give up some of what is great of driving a Monte Carlo and for what - it`ll never be the fastest car even with headers. I don`t mean to rip on headers - a very effective (and cost effective) performance upgrade. But when you go there, I think your casting the rest aside and deciding performance is your primary goal. Good for fun at the strip,but probably won`t get you into any more calendars, know what I mean? You gotta drive this thing. Something to thing about.

Quick Reply: Finally looking into headers...