Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

lost reverse

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 01:38 PM
Default lost reverse

i hav a base model monte 85 with a 305. all stock.

tranny i think is 200r4 but not sure, might be the metric 200. i lost reverse but have all the other forward gears. it just keeps acting like its in nuetral or park. is there anything i can try to salvage it until i have the money for the manual swap? or just pull it out and throw a junkyard tranny in it?

Old 09-03-2007, 01:56 PM
Default RE: lost reverse

[align=center]Verdi219,[/align][align=center]I looked everywhere for your reverse gear, & couldn't find it anywhere : ) [/align][align=center]Do you think someone stole `it ? [/align][align=center]Sorry, I know it's a bummer when problems happen to your car [X(][/align][align=center][/align][align=center]I'm not a transmission guy, but maybe the below sites may help you out.[/align][align=center]Wish you the best....Good Luck `Space[/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Diagnose Automatic Transmission Problems[/align][align=center]Click below link[/align][align=center]http://autorepair.about.com/cs/troubleshooting/a/aa072702a_3.htm[/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center]
Diagnose Automatic Transmission Problems
Diagnose Automatic Transmission Problems. What you can do to diagnose an ... No Forward In Overdrive Position And No Reverse • No Manual First Gear ...
autorepair.about.com/cs/troubleshooting/a/aa0727... - 28k - Similar pages

http://autorepair.about.com/cs/troub...a072702a_3.htm[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]____________________________________________[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Click below for more infor[/align][align=center][:-][/align][align=center]Automatic transmission problem solving prevention parts, sav... [/align]
Drivetrain catalog offering deep discounted automatic transmission problem ... K26949, All C5 / C4 1973 - Up, Corrects / Prevents / Reduces: No reverse hot; ...
www.drivetrain.com/autotransproblemsolve.html - 47k

Old 09-03-2007, 03:36 PM

Verdi,
[align=center]First things to check would be the fluid level, and shift linkage. Then from there it could be one of the shift solenoid valves, line pressure valve or valve body itself. If all of these check out, then we're looking at internal transmission [X(][/align][align=center][/align][align=center]It sounds like the rear clutch is locked on, either from mis- assembly, or because it has burnt into a solid welded chunk. Other possibilities include a hydraulic cross leak which it applying the rear clutches at all times. [/align][align=center][/align][align=center]From my Source[/align][align=center]Just a few things to check.[/align][align=center]Again, Good Luck[/align]

Old 09-04-2007, 07:40 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I've had reverse go out twice. 1st was a shift solenoid. Minor, except the tranny had to come out. Second was tragic. It exploded. Sounded REAL bad. No doubt what happened.
Sounds like a solenoid to me. Make sure you use quality aftermarket parts, not the cheap factory stuff.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2319272