Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Let the MODDING BEGIN!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 10:10 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Let the MODDING BEGIN!!

Let the MODDING BEGIN!

Yesterday (Saturday 4/30/2011), I decided it was a nice day to begin installing the mods I have been stock piling for the Monte. My day did not go entirely as planned. I wanted to start this in the morning (say 9am) in hopes to be done with everything by say 5-7pm at the absolute latest. Instead, due to other items beyond my control, I did not get started until 2pm.

I'm not finished and currently need some nice weather to wrap it up (currenly I am debating if I should work on it now, it rained already and according to the weather report, it's not supposed to rain again until 5pm today). Clouds don't look threatening at the moment, so we'll see.

Anycase, here's what is installed thus far:
- ZZP Stainless Steel Power Log
- ZZP ER Rockers
- F-Body 3800 Aluminum Valve Covers
- A Donor PCM (Tuned by PCMforLess.com)

Here's what's left to get to the finish:
- Custom Port-Matched LIM
- ZZP HV3
- Custom Modified L67 Throttle Body
Note: If you unfamiliar with the LIM and the Throttle Body I mentioned, click the links for them and you will be directed to my web site with some detailed information and pictures of the process.

I will also be installing Fel-Pro's aluminum LIM gaskets and even though the factory coolant elbows do not appear to be bad, they have 62K on them and are original from when the car rolled out of the factory in '04, for the little added cost, I think it's worth changing them out.

FYI - the way I have the front plug wires held right now is destined to change, I just have decided 100% what/how I'm going to do it, but I have some ideas. My wife and a friend of mine though the blankets I had on the Monte were funny. I'll tell you what, I had three mover's blankets I bought from Harbor Frieght for about $4-$5 a piece. I think they worked out BETTER then any fendor bibe I've see. Tuck them in and they hold (only one I had an issue with was the front one, but it was not that big of a deal). Saves potential damage to the paint as I work on the car.

Enjoy the pics below from my progress. Click the thumbnails to see larger pics.

Old 05-01-2011, 10:29 AM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Very cool. What do you hope to gain out of all this? HP wise. Lots of moddin goin on there I would say. I am not far from you and still drizzling here. Good luck on getting it completed. Should be nice and make you proud.

Old 05-01-2011, 05:36 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2011
5 Year Member

That's awesome man. You're going to be thankful that you bought the coolant elbows. They're almost impossible to get off without breaking them. When I installed my aluminum LIM gaskets, I broke my coolant elbow and had to go back to the parts store to get them.

It's hard saying what gains you will get because you've already done the major mods for an NA L36. I expect that you'll notice a bit more mid range power and a snappier throttle, which is always fun

Old 05-01-2011, 05:41 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member

Looking good so far, I love the valve covers.

Old 05-01-2011, 05:44 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member

looks good, cant wait to see what they do for you

Old 05-01-2011, 08:48 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member

Very cool - good luck with the rest of the build!

Old 05-01-2011, 10:40 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2010

Looking good! GOod luck with the rest of the work!

Old 05-02-2011, 08:13 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Looks like a familiar build :P

You will love this!!! Your upper RPM HP will finally be where your lower RPM HP is which just makes for a very even and fun powerband.

Old 05-02-2011, 08:16 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

Thanks everyone for taking a look at what I've done so far....

Despite the weather reports of rain for Sunday (they called for rain closer to 5pm), I began working on finishing up the install my MODs. Again I did not start this until the afternoon.

Since I had now EASY access to the power steering reservoir, one of the first things I did was use a turkey baster and suck the old power steering fluid from the reservoir and top off with good clean fluid (not a full flush, but still I think a good idea).

With the help of my friend Jeff, we finished the tear down and installation of all the MODs. Once in a while we had a light sprinkle of rain (but sky was still pretty clear. About 6-7pm, it was all back together. Down side, I have to go through the PCM Security Re-learn (I did not have time and it looked like it was getting ready to POUR rain down). So we cleaned up tools and I will do the relearn soon (hopefully tonight, weather permitting).
I figured out how I will hold the front plug wires since I cannot use the original factory holder with the aluminum F-Body valve covers. I have some spare wire separators from a Grand Am we parted out. I already have one, without the bracket holding all three wires near the coil packs. I have another that I am going to trim and paint the bracket. Once I do so, I can lift one of the valve cover bolt and slip this bracket under the bolt and tighten back down.

It's good I pre-planned on replacing the plastic elbows. Admittedly, I could have put new O-Rings on them and re-installing in the car. The reason I feel it was good I bought new ones, when I was removing them from the alternator/tensioner bracket, one of them did break off. So I was all set before I began.

It’s a BIG tease, wanting to start the car and now have to wait and do the Security re-learn.

Old 05-02-2011, 11:41 AM

Monte Of The Month -- July 2010
Monte Of The Month -- July 2013
IT HERTZ
5 Year Member

Man great job !!

Quick Reply: Let the MODDING BEGIN!!