Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

leaking valve covers!

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 08:44 AM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

to replace the LIM gaskets, remove alt, tensioner assembly, wiring harness from top of engine, fuel rail, upper plenum, unbolt egr tube from LIM, then LIM. I might be forgetting something but that's most of it.

Old 10-25-2013, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by Tadcaster
To clean them I used Simple green and ran them through the dish washer (don't tell my wife)

WIN! 1000x Cookies for you tad, lol

Old 10-25-2013, 10:27 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by dbaldwin
I thought it involved taking a lot off the engine. What all needs removed for the lim gasket?
John pretty much summed it up. It sounds like a lot of work, but it's not that bad. In a junk yard, I think I can pull the LIM in less then 30 minutes. You BIGGEST time factors is cleaning. I love to clean everything as best I can.

I believe somewhere here on MCF is more detailed info on doing the gaskets.

If you look at the link below (to my web site) are pics of when I took my Monte down to the LIM gaskets (as I was installing some upper engine mods). I had no signs of LIM failure and the car was I think under 60,000 miles at the time (check the gasket damage, nylon SUCKS).
'04 Monte Carlo SS - Multiple Mod Install

Old 10-25-2013, 10:37 AM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2014
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by The_Maniac

John pretty much summed it up. It sounds like a lot of work, but it's not that bad. In a junk yard, I think I can pull the LIM in less then 30 minutes. You BIGGEST time factors is cleaning. I love to clean everything as best I can.

I believe somewhere here on MCF is more detailed info on doing the gaskets.

If you look at the link below (to my web site) are pics of when I took my Monte down to the LIM gaskets (as I was installing some upper engine mods). I had no signs of LIM failure and the car was I think under 60,000 miles at the time (check the gasket damage, nylon SUCKS).
'04 Monte Carlo SS - Multiple Mod Install
Maybe ill practice in a junk yard. My concern is getting bolts mixed up or forgetting something. Iv got 122k on my.monte now. I'm not having any other symptoms except some small amouts of oil on the back of the engine (none on the front.) If I can get it donr for around $300 it might be worth it to me. I don't have time to screw up and have my car down. Don't have a backup and can't call out of the millitary.

Old 10-25-2013, 01:44 PM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by dbaldwin
Maybe ill practice in a junk yard. My concern is getting bolts mixed up or forgetting something. Iv got 122k on my.monte now. I'm not having any other symptoms except some small amouts of oil on the back of the engine (none on the front.) If I can get it donr for around $300 it might be worth it to me. I don't have time to screw up and have my car down. Don't have a backup and can't call out of the millitary.
if you have a shop do it they will charge you 600-800 is my guess..... when you take the bolts out keep them organized and put them back where they came from so they dont get mixed up.... if i remember right a lot of them are the same so it doesnt matter and the few longer ones you will visually be able to tell where they go.... take lots of pics, lable things, take your time and you will be fine. make sure to torque down the bolts to the right torque spec when reinstalling parts and use RTV in the corners of the LIM gaskets.

Old 10-25-2013, 02:16 PM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by turbo monte

if you have a shop do it they will charge you 600-800 is my guess..... when you take the bolts out keep them organized and put them back where they came from so they dont get mixed up.... if i remember right a lot of them are the same so it doesnt matter and the few longer ones you will visually be able to tell where they go.... take lots of pics, lable things, take your time and you will be fine. make sure to torque down the bolts to the right torque spec when reinstalling parts and use RTV in the corners of the LIM gaskets.
I'm always scared of taking apart newer engines. The old ones are pretty straight forward. But so many plugs and wires every time I look at the intak. Guess I just gotta take a long weekend and do it. I know it needs done eventually no matter what. Wish I had someone I knew who had done it. But everyone here likes JDM.

Old 10-25-2013, 02:26 PM
10 Year Member

in all honesty pretty much all the connectors are different so there hard to mix up.... you could mix up the fuel injector connectors but even thats hard because there cut to length to fit nice to each injector.... other than the wiring on the new engines once you get into the engine it self its the same as the older ones..... an engine is an engine.

Old 10-25-2013, 03:07 PM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by turbo monte
in all honesty pretty much all the connectors are different so there hard to mix up.... you could mix up the fuel injector connectors but even thats hard because there cut to length to fit nice to each injector.... other than the wiring on the new engines once you get into the engine it self its the same as the older ones..... an engine is an engine.
That is true. I think ill do the valve covers and clean it up back their and if I see oil still leaking ill go at the LIM. Can't I get a pressure test on it to see if the lim is failed? Ill also go to the junkyard and find one to pull apart. Wish it could wait till spring but I know the sooner I do it the less I'm going to have to worry about it. And I have a great group of monte owners on here to help me if I get stuck!

Old 10-25-2013, 03:16 PM
10 Year Member

only thing that sucks about doing VC gaskets now and waiting to do the LIM gaskets is your half way there while doing the VC gaskets with removing the alt etc..... if you wait you will do twice as much work.... i understand where your coming from though.... ive done many sets now and its so easy to me now but my first set ever i was just like you.

Old 10-25-2013, 03:49 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

To add to John's statement, the rear cover is easier to do anyways if you have the UIM off (which needs to be removed to do the LIM gaskets). He's right, you are halfway there. All the connectors are unique, no way you can mix them up, except injectors (which the cable length helps prevents that) and spark plug wires (a little effort to label those and you're set). A large percentage of the bolts are the same and pretty obvious. One thing that caught me by surprise the first time I pulled a LIM off, there are two bolts "hidden" (mentioned in the casting of the UIM). They are under some oil in the inside of the LIM.

As for cost, if you are doing it yourself, I think between gaskets and fluid, you're looking at $150-$250 off the top of my head. And if you do decide to do the LIM gaskets, get the good Fel-Pro aluminum LIM gaskets, not the garbage nylon ones.

If you look for Frank's L26 swap, he has a bunch of pics of the top end of an L26 (99% the same as your L36) apart. Gives you an idea of what you're looking at.

Quick Reply: leaking valve covers!