Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

6th Gen ('00-'05): Lately a big thud when shifting to Reverse only

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 11:39 PM
1 Year Member
Unhappy Lately a big thud when shifting to Reverse only

So guys, my Monte is at 86k and I'd say a couple months ago I started noticing every time I'd shift into reverse, and reverse only, there would follow a big heavy clunk (I could feel it too), hear it shift, and if I try to go from R to D I have to wait a moment for the car to completely leave R. If I don't leave my foot on the brake it will make a really loud BANG when it hits reverse and the shift will be even harder on the tranny. Now I typically just shift into neutral to avoid having to put the car in reverse and I get no problems shifting onwards.

All other gears are fine and smooth (even 3-2-1) but the noise is not going away and now would be a really bad time for me to start having tranny problems. Would a trans fluid change be the solution even though it's only one gear? What do I do?

Old 10-22-2012, 08:43 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Check your fluids and your mounts too

Old 10-30-2012, 05:39 PM

Ok this may sound weird but check out your driver side axel. Mine did the same thing until i upgraded mine. Idk why but that was the cause.

Old 01-07-2013, 02:43 PM

Hate to hijack this thread, but mine is doing something similar; It started after getting doing with the major mods (had engine cradle out, new xp cam, headers, intercooler etc)

Now in reverse only it Growls, almost like there is way to much torque. It reminds me of being in gear stopped with the throttle at 2,000 RPM & then gradually removing the break so you creep forward a few inches. it makes a deep creaking sound. My car does this now all the time in reverse only.

you can here a minute of it here:
Reverse Noise 4T65E-HD tranny - YouTube

Old 01-07-2013, 05:11 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Im curious when you shift from reverse to drive and visa versa....
Does it sound like stuff is moveing around in the trans that shouldnt be?
Acting like it has way to much backlash?

On these style of transmission..reverse is like its own seperate entity...(thus no driveing issues going forward)
Mine also made similar sounds as well as severe "clunking".... I was told its in the reverse
part of the actual trans axle...Which means you have to remove the trans completely and
have it rebuilt...solenoid is what triggers the high pressure "clunking" when its going into
Reverse....

Any other continuious sounds...could mean a possible drum issue (over heated ,cracked)
collideing into other parts in the transmission...(ACE)

Last edited by STUMPMI; 01-07-2013 at 05:18 PM.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:48 PM

The odd thing is that I had ZERO issues before the mods. things were taken apart / put back together; the transmission had nothing done to it. I did have to raise my idle RPM's a little bit for the larger cam (to keep the car from oscillating or dying when coming to a stop light, but even when I set that back to stock it still makes the odd continuous "creaking sound" and that is while we are parked in the driveway with foot on brake, not moving.

I know my engine has TONS more torque now, I can feel and hear that when driving. it especially doesn't like shifting to a lower gear, it just lugs & pulls like it never did prior... I'm wondering if this is a tuning issue, Torque management or something, (considering I never had the problem before hand...) I'll keep researching...

Old 01-11-2013, 11:26 PM

Just wanted to add..... through my years of experience...I've had many a clunk.. lol
The causes have been caused from the following (I know that not all will apply to this thread);
* Tie Rods
* Ball Joints
* Axles ..CV joints worn ect
* Lower Engine/Trans Mounts (Either broken -might appear fine when sitting in normal position- or fasteners not tight)
* Upper Engine Mounts "dog bones"(same as above) I've had a clunk come from the open end of the dog bone mount... eliminated the noise by cranking the bolt a fair amount more.
* Subframe Bolts (Loose/Busted)
* Top Strut Mounts (worn/not seated in the sweet spot)
* Lower Coil Spring Mount 'rubber piece' If not aligned under the spring, it can make a bunch of odd noises.
* Rack n Pinion bushing worn/ect. This one was reeeal fun to track down.
* Steering Shaft pinion/connection to rack (usually only a possibly when you've dropped the subframe and the shaft came out of steering connection)
* Loose Flexplate Bolts (either/both, flex to crank or, flex to torque conv.)

Those are most of the, "clunk causes" I've experienced that I could list off for the moment... hope it gives some insight on what to check.

Oh, and one more thing....it's possible that a shift or engagement change in the trans (for whatever reason...from whatever cause) def. could have brought this noise on...or made it louder.

Old 01-11-2013, 11:38 PM

Ace, I watched... listened to your video. Its hard (for me) to tell what the house is. But, The tone of it, and the fact that you installed headers, and it occurs in Reverse has me wondering if the nose is caused by the headers contacting something... like, the sway bar or the fire wall, ext.
Have you or can you narrow down the source of the noise? It could possibly be a torque converter (or other trans issue) But, I'm thinking it's a contact, or vibration noise from something in the engine compartment/firewall/under body area.