Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

KR diagnosis

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 09:35 PM

bumpin', i have dual aeroforces installed and i constantly monitor my LTFT's, my LTFT's on cold start up usually start up around -8 to -10, but as i drive it usually sits right around 0. as i recall before, it used to sit around -2 or -3 during cruising and warmed up.
Thinking about this problem more- unless you are seeing some extreme positive fuel trims, its probably not running out of fuel. For example, if your fuel filter were clogged, and rail pressure had dropped- your car would run lean; it would realize this and go 'hey we need more gas', and you'd get some pretty steep positive fuel trims as the car adds fuel to try and keep the a/f ratio right.

Old 07-24-2009, 10:30 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- May 2009
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

well bumpin, that makes complete sense. so now i really dont know what it is.
i've only seen that 13* of KR once, for like a second and i jumped off the gas. havent seen it since. today the most extreme i've seen it was 5.4*

thinking about what you said, and how my car ran about a month ago, is there a common problem that's been said before? could maybe the fuel pump just not be pushing hard like it used to? i did get a fuel pump rewire about 2 months ago, but maybe the stock L36 pump just cant keep up with demand, but is still making my fuel trims look normal???? that possible?? that might explains why i've seen a "struggle" with the supercharger power....maybe the gas just isnt pumping like it should.

anything else that might go out that could cause this problem suddenly like that, as opposed to slowly over time seeing an increase??

Old 07-25-2009, 07:04 AM

Really, any problem with the fuel system should result in higher fuel trims. When the pump in my monte started going out, my rail pressure dropped to ~20-25 psi, and my fuel trims went max positive trying to compensate.

I see you have copper plugs, probably one stage too cold - are your plugs fouling up?

Old 07-25-2009, 01:39 PM
Photobucket
15 Year Member

well i'll have to check today and see if im getting misfires. i used to have a little misfire action in cylinder 3 and 5 before, but wasnt much. checked the plugs they were fine, came to the conclusion that my wires were crapping out. the zzp wires i've had never made me feel safe honestly, might just switch to the prj wires and kill those misfires.

Old 07-26-2009, 03:24 PM
Photobucket
15 Year Member

well, the knock is getting better. which leads me to my final conclusion. i let my girl borrow the car for a day and it needed gas. i told her 91 octane only, told her like 4 times. i still think she put 87 in it and because she knows how crazy in love i am with my car, was scared to tell me she accidently put 87. the knock is slowly going down since i filled it up yesterday. it had a quarter tank left in it when i filled it. that could be the problem. everything else checks out. gonna get it tuned tomorrow.

Old 07-27-2009, 04:58 AM

i let my girl borrow the car for a day

That would explain it. >_<

lol

-Riggs.

Old 07-27-2009, 08:11 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by 2003supersport
the zzp wires i've had never made me feel safe honestly, might just switch to the prj wires
No reason why you couldn't have OEM wires on there. Nothing wrong with them. Same with the coil packs.

Old 08-01-2009, 06:51 PM

let my girl borrow the car for a day and it needed gas. i told her 91 octane only, told her like 4 times. i still think she put 87 in it and because she knows how crazy in love i am with my car, was scared to tell me she accidently put 87
Just cross your fingers that you didn't chip a piston in the meantime- with KR that high, its a good possibility...

Old 09-01-2009, 09:37 PM
Photobucket
15 Year Member

Well, i got my SS intercooler installed yesterday, and 0 KR now throughout the RPM band. saw .8 in third but thats nothing. My shop was able to advance the timing more now since the KR is gone, and it has soo much more power. My shop also changed the hrtz on the MAF a little and now it runs nice and strong. they did something a little different though. zzp wants you to tap your radiator for the intercooler install, my guys decided this wasnt gonna be a good setup and instead made it a standalone system using an old coolant resovoir they had laying around. tapping the radiator just doesnt seem logical really, since there is room inside the engine bay for a tank. i guess zzp says its not neccassary unless your trying to kill KR completely. they opted to do it this way for me as zzp doesnt include the materials for that. pretty nice. im currently looking for a better looking resavoir so if anyone has any suggestions, it'd be appreciated.

anyways, pictures to come soon, and also new dyno results after i drop a pulley size. gonna run the 3.6 SS pulley.......guess thats the equivalent of a 3.2.

Old 09-01-2009, 10:03 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member

Wow dude, cant wait to see the progress!!

Quick Reply: KR diagnosis