Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

KR diagnosis

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 03:53 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- May 2009
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default KR diagnosis

Well, seems like the monte is going through its trouble phase. After the SS m90 kit install, it ran 0 kr almost all the time, the only time i've seen knock was when i jumped on it and when it shifted from 3d to 4th, and after the shift it would instantly go back to 0.

about a month ago, i installed a high flow fuel filter and waterpump underdrive pulley. didnt seem a climb in KR, but then again didnt really look for it. noticed about a week ago that when i jumped on it on the freeway, KR would shoot up to around 7 and slowly trickle down......scared the crap outta me! now i've noticed that when im crusing on the freeway in 4th, i give it more gas but not enough to downshift, just to climb speed a little and KR comes back. Im using 91 octane.
i dont have my computer tuned, it came from zzp already setup for the supercharger setup i got. the only problem with the tune is that at cold starts, it has a strange idle, then after the MAF warms up, its good to go. fuel trims seem to be ok, but i've noticed sometimes that it does act up. i use to use an octane boost at every fill up, but i stopped that about 2 months ago. the computer is tuned for 91 though.

something does seem weird with the power of the supercharger though. seems like its "struggling" if that makes sense. sometimes if i get off the gas suddenly it makes an undescribable noise, like a hesitation.

i dont get it. i've been driving with this same setup for 5 months and no problems. all the sudden BAM, kr decides to show up. anyone got any suggestions of what might be going on?

Old 07-23-2009, 04:03 AM

Hi `Matt, sorry to read about your present problem, and wish I had
the solution/answer for you.
If none of our Expert Tech MotorHead Member's doesn't post
a suggestion/solution, I would email/call ZZP & see if
they will assist.
Wish you good luck in getting your MOTM Winning AweSome
Monte running back to 100%
Good Luck from
`Space

Old 07-23-2009, 07:46 AM

Has it always acted up since the swap (the wierd noises, the struggling, etc)? I'm thinking maybe an incorrect pcm tune.

If it just started doing it when the KR went up, I'd start looking to see what changed- if a wire got pinched or melted, or if a sensor is going bad. If you have access to a scan tool-maybe see what your LTFT's and STFT's (fuel trims) are running- maybe your fuel filter is clogged or the pump is going bad, and its running out of fuel (indicated by really high positive FT's).

It is kinda strange

Old 07-23-2009, 08:26 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Can't the changes in weather effect your KR readings also?

Old 07-23-2009, 10:34 AM
Photobucket
15 Year Member

bumpin', i have dual aeroforces installed and i constantly monitor my LTFT's, my LTFT's on cold start up usually start up around -8 to -10, but as i drive it usually sits right around 0. as i recall before, it used to sit around -2 or -3 during cruising and warmed up.
i wouldnt think the WP pulley would do anything, so im gonna assume something is wrong with the fuel filter since that seems to be a logical place to start.
as far as the weather, its pretty much the same where i live in california. never hot, never cold. usually between 60 and 80 degrees.
I dont really have the money for a tune right now, but looks like im gonna make that a priority. im kinda annoyed waiting for my car's MAF to warm up every day. the cold start fuel trim is lame and if it helps solve my problem with KR, im definately ok with forking the cash.
anything else i may have overlooked that you guys can think of??

Old 07-24-2009, 02:31 PM
Photobucket
15 Year Member

last night under medium acceleration where i was in 3d gear i gave it gas, supercharger kicked in and KR showed up to 13. got scared, got off the gas and now i just cruise in it. made an appointment with my shop guys to get a HP dyno tune and have them look at my fuel filter to see if its clogged on monday. hopefully it will take care of my knock. until then i threw in a bottle of octane boost to maybe help with KR. when i cruise normally i got 0 KR, its just when the supercharger kicks in it goes up pretty high. never did that before. im betting it has something to do with fuel demand.

Old 07-24-2009, 03:08 PM

the cold start fuel trim is lame and if it helps solve my problem with KR, im definately ok with forking the cash.
anything else i may have overlooked that you guys can think of??
That wouldn't have anything to do with it. As long as its usually zero or slightly negative, especially at WOT- then its ok.

until then i threw in a bottle of octane boost to maybe help with KR.
I hate to say it, but that stuff is kindof a waste of money. About the only thing I've seen to work decent was that Torco race fuel additive, and even that stuff didn't do a ton compared to getting straight race gas. If you're looking at 13* KR, I'd stop getting on it until you fix the problem. IMO anything over about 4-5* is well into piston chipping territory- anytime you see KR over that range, get out of the gas.

when i cruise normally i got 0 KR, its just when the supercharger kicks in it goes up pretty high. never did that before.
Thats how it should be, if any car has KR under normal driving, it would blow itself up under load. You will never see KR unless you're getting into boost, or putting the engine under a ton of load.

made an appointment with my shop guys to get a HP dyno tune and have them look at my fuel filter to see if its clogged on monday.
IMO, I would hold off on a dyno tune until you get the problem fixed. If you were really, honestly always at 0* KR at full throttle in all gears; and now you're suddenly up to 13* KR, then that indicates a problem. You absolutely need to get the problem fixed before you take it for a tune. Otherwise, a regular tune is only going to knock maybe 2-3* KR out; so you're still left with 10*; so they're going to end up having to cut the heck out of your timing and drown it with fuel to make all that KR go away. In the end, you'll likely end up with a turd thats slower than a stock gtp.

Before you even consider tuning, get the problems sorted out first.

Old 07-24-2009, 03:27 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member

i try and read most posts on here but i just don't know what KR is? could someone let me know what it is!! thanks. i'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer??

Old 07-24-2009, 03:38 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Old 07-24-2009, 03:41 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member

well now i know, thanks

Quick Reply: KR diagnosis