Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Kick Down Cable

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 10:15 PM

Learning to tune properly will take a while, there is a huge learning curve. It took me probably a month of playing with the powrtuner before I was comfortable with all the features in it- and I already had a ton of automotive knowledge.

As far as the pic of the cable, host the pic on photobucket or something, and we can tell you for sure. It is for sure not a kickdown cable though.

As far as the actual downshift time, the only thing that can really change that is upping the pressure and dropping the time. Canned tunes don't really get extreme with any of this stuff because making these upshifts and downshifts harder and quicker than stock can cause damage in the long run. These transmissions are weak enough without doing all kinds of super rough trans shifting, and multiple gear skipping downshifts.

The bad thing about when you're rolling and nail it, is you need to wait for 2 things to happen before the car will really take off- you have to wait for the transmission to complete the downshift (and even then, it may not shift into the optimal gear for max performance)- and for the torque converter to unlock.

That is why if you ever watch people with an auto transmission doing roll racing- they'll manually select the gear they want to hold (ie you'd put the gear selector in "1" for a 20 mph roll race so it doesn't auto shift to 2nd and maybe 3rd)- so they don't have to wait for the downshift. Its just one of the few advantages of a manual trans car.

IMO, I'd not worry about it- I'm not crazy about changing the trans settings for ultra quick and harsh shifts when they're not that reliable to begin with- especially on your daily driver. If you're gonna race, do it from a dig, or if you think the person may leave slow and go from a roll, just put the gear selector in the gear you want to hold so it doesn't shift above that point (likely going to be 1st up to 30 or 35, and 2nd from there up- unless you're planning on doing a 90 roll or something stupid).

Last edited by bumpin96monte; 06-17-2010 at 10:18 PM.