Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Intakes. What are you guys using?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2005, 12:23 PM
Default RE: Intakes. What are you guys using?

ORIGINAL: Patrick

who told you that K&N was crap??
Someone who is very knowledgible with automobiles, I will just leave it at that.

Old 06-27-2005, 04:13 PM

ORIGINAL: Ca$$e

Someone who is very knowledgible with automobiles, I will just leave it at that.
but what is his experience with K and N intakes, that's the question.

Old 06-27-2005, 05:28 PM

ORIGINAL: 04MonteLS

but what is his experience with K and N intakes, that's the question.
Here ya go, straight from the man him self
Stay away from K&N filters...

They have much less filter-area and usually reduce particles caught. Things like the Blitz and AEM filters have many more fins (and thus more filter area), and are still higher flow.
Pull it off the intake piping, and check out the grunge inside the piping...

I ran one with a filtercharger (supposed to make up for lack of area) on my Dodge, and the intake piping was full of dirt after about a week.

The K&N FIPK is awesome for stock setups on trucks and stuff, but the filters lick my nuts.

Old 06-27-2005, 05:30 PM

Don't let him fool you, either he has a hard-on for some other brand, or has a personal vendetta against K&N. You will hear from more than one person that K&N is up there with the best. K&N has a lot of respect with auto gurus. Give them a look. And don't make up your mind before you what they have to offer.

Old 06-27-2005, 08:08 PM

everyone that races with me, both in the import classes and the pro class (12.99 and faster) runs K&N, or nothing..i run no filter on my car on the track, but run K&n on the street..

on my slow car, and the turbo car and my gfs truck (runs 14s) i run K&n only

Old 06-27-2005, 10:45 PM
CMC
10 Year Member

Actually all filters filter out about the same amount, whether it's a paper, foam or an oiled cotton gauze type. The only difference between them all is their flow capabilities and lifespan. Now the whole intake tubing being dirty from a K&N example is probably from the oil being sucked out of and off of the filter. An engine is nothing more than a glorified air pump, and it has some incredible suction power, enough to pull the oil out of a cotten gauze type filter such as a K&N.

And really, we all have street vehicles, we're not about to feel or even be able to see a difference in power reguardless of the filter we use. The filter setup, yes, but actual filter, no. And when one really wants to get serious about speed and power attributed to airflow then no filter will be used. But that's only done in drag racing where the engine will only be running for a short period of time, not enough to suck in damaging particles, unless by some freak incident something gets in the way.

Old 06-28-2005, 03:20 AM

ORIGINAL: CMC

Actually all filters filter out about the same amount, whether it's a paper, foam or an oiled cotton gauze type. The only difference between them all is their flow capabilities and lifespan.
That couldn't be farther from the truth. All filters do not filter the same amount, but don't take my word on it. Click the link below and see it for yourself.

Filter test video

and as for the air flow, no way does a paper filter flow the same as a K&N or True Flow filter, there will be a significant increase in air flow when upgrading from a paper filter to either of the latter. Now will there be a significant difference in air flow from the K&N to a True Flow? NOPE! But what makes the True Flow superior is it's filtering abilities, it simply filters out more of the dirt and dust that K&N doesn't. After all, that's what a filter is for, right?

Old 06-28-2005, 03:25 AM

Here ya go, straight from the man him self
Stay away from K&N filters...

They have much less filter-area and usually reduce particles caught. Things like the Blitz and AEM filters have many more fins (and thus more filter area), and are still higher flow.
AEM does not manufacture their own filters, they use K&N. So much for dudes credibility.

Old 06-28-2005, 06:25 AM
CMC
10 Year Member

Right, I tend to not believe what any company has to say when they do a comparison test of any kind. Especially when they are trying to sell the product they test. I mean really, say K&N decided to do the same test, just somehow I think their filter would come out on top. Hell you could sell a 100Watt light bulb to someone for twice the price if you convince them it's brighter than the regular 100Watt bulb.[8D]

Now just where did I say they had similar flow capabilities? Unless you are pointing out the difference for others, cause I know the differences.

Also whether or not these TrueFlow filters are any good will have to be seen, in the real world. Ever since K&N 1st came out with somthing different than the standard ole paper filter or cheap foam the whole air filter market in general has grown way out of proportion. Especially considering even the best filter out there is only good for at best in optimum conditions is 10HP. And that's not enough to make a difference for a regular street vehicle, sure most will say they feel a difference, but that's only because that's the sugar pill effect.

Old 06-28-2005, 01:09 PM

Eitherway I dont really care if K&N sucks or not, the point of this thread is about what you are using for an intake and whether your satisfied or not. Thats all I want to know what you people use b/c i dont want to go out and buy a crappy intake system.

Quick Reply: Intakes. What are you guys using?