Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Intake Gaskets for a Virgin Monte Owner

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 09:10 PM
Default Intake Gaskets for a Virgin Monte Owner

I know you guys probably get crazy n00bs all the time, but I really have tried to do my homework. I'm not very car savvy [I race a different kind of horse ^_~] but my dad was a Monte Carlo geek [owned a black '86 with maroon interior, which is probably the sexiest ever] and both parents once worked in the car industry [Oldsmobile, Toyota, Pontiac] in the parts department.

I've been in the car market under a VERY strict budget [college student] for about 3 months. I've been looking at Monte's, but they're always out of my budget. Now I've found one - asking price is BARELY in the budget, but it has a problem. "Needs intake gasket".

Now, before you go all 'flamer' on me, I've looked it up. Mid-90 GMs are terrible for their gaskets. But, I've found what appears to be it, for relatively cheap.
http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/search/?searchType=global&Ntt=intake+gasket&N=0&submit==

The car's ad says it needs intake gasket"S" - meaning the two valves? I emailed the dealer - he has no clue. I'm like, does it need a manifold or a plenum? I didn't think to ask about valves. But he's a dealer and not a mechanic :/

Basically what I'm asking is this: How much will it cost? Will it be worth it? And what other problems should I be on the lookout for when I go test-drive this baby?

Also, this car has 164k miles on it. What do you think about the 'high GM milage'? I was told that GM's are awful for their engines going to pieces if you don't get an oil change EXACTLY or BEFORE 3k miles.

here is the ad:
PHP Code:
THIS IS ONE SHARP LOOKING MONTE CARLO IN DARK BLUE ALMOST RUST FREE BODY NICE GRAY INTERIORAUTOMTAIC TRNSMISSIONPOWER STERRINGPOWER LOCKS POWER WINDOWSTILT WHEEL CRUISE164K 
NEEDS INTAKE GASKETS

and no, he couldn't spell to save his life.

A picture's worth a thousand words:

[not that they take very good ones]

I'm in NE Ohio if it makes ANY difference.

Thanks bunches!!

Last edited by horsesjp19; 06-23-2009 at 09:22 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-23-2009, 10:03 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

Im assuming you have a 3100 in the car. There are upper and lower intake gaskets. Usually the lower ones go on the 3100s but it wouldnt hurt to change both. Dont skimp out on the gaskets or you will be changing them again in the future. Get the felpro ones. You are looking at a little over 100-120 bucks for the gaskets plus labor.

As long as the car was given regular maintenance and wasnt abused, the engine should be just fine. Listen for valvetrain noise. Excessive noise is a sign that the engine wasnt taken good care of. You will want to listen for a knocking or ticking sound coming from the top of the engine. Some noise is acceptable but if its real loud I would stay away.

The main thing you need to worry about is the transmission. Run it through all the gears and use every position on the selector. When shifting from park to drive, or park to reverse, make sure it doesnt take a long time to engage. Make sure the gears shift smoothly and not too harsh. When you test drive it, dont be afraid to put it through its paces. Mash the pedal and make it downshift from second to first and make sure it doesnt slip or shudder. Also make sure overdrive engages and stays engaged while cruising.

Also, look under the car for rust. Surface rust is fine but severe rust is a bad sign. Especially look at the rear rails under the trunk pan and look at the rear suspension mounting areas. These areas like to rot out on vehicles that arent taken good care of.

Good luck and dont let the dealer talk you into buying the car if you are unsure. There are alot of these cars around and you can always find another one if you are not satisfied with the car.

Old 06-24-2009, 08:45 AM

You
Are
Awesome

Thank you very much for your input!
I'm debating now, because the labor costs will probably put this car out of my budget.
However, everything you've said will help me buy a car, and I really appreciate it. I never even thought to look for undercarriage rust! And in Ohio, there's probably plenty that are completely rusted out.

Thank you so much! I'll take your advice to heart!

Old 06-24-2009, 09:18 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

A common failure area, and rust spot is directly under the gas cap on 5th gen Monte's.

Take a look in that area for any bubbling, or discoloring / signs there has been work done there.

Old 06-24-2009, 05:18 PM

5 Year Member

You may be able to do the intake gasket replacement yourself. Alot of members have done it on mymonte.com. Check out that site and do some research also wouldnt hurt to check out 60degreev6.com. You may be able to find a tutorial with pictures on one of those sites.

Old 06-24-2009, 05:57 PM

5 Year Member

Here is a good thread to take a look at. It has some good information on LIM gasket replacement. Also wouldnt hurt to get a haynes or chiltons manual for some pictures and a more detailed procedure.

http://www.w-body.com/forum/index.php?topic=64188.0