Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Increase Your Engine's Performance

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 02:38 PM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Increase Your Engine's Performance

I'm watching Two Guys Garage on Speed channel right now. HostSam Mammolo is discussing the benfits of using zMAX in your car's engine. zMAX is advertised to cut carbon deposits inside the engine which rob the engine of fuel and eventually power.

(here's the zMAX web site)
http://www.zmax.com/why_zmax/benefits.html

The only product of its kind, zMAX is a "micro-lubricant."

Good for automatic and manual transmissions. Compatible with all motor oils, including synthetic[/align]

(and I happen to find this on the FTC - Federal Trade Commission web site)
http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2001/02/zmax1.shtm
[/align]For Release: February 1, 2001[/align]Subsidiary [/align]Performance Claims For zMax Auto Additives Are Unsubstantiated, FTC Charges

Looks like I'll just keep my money and look for another product if I feel I need one.

Old 04-02-2008, 02:54 PM
Default RE: Increase Your Engine's Performance

[align=center]R.J., you are a Wise Man[/align][align=center]Thanks for you post & Information.[/align][align=center]I've read bad things about Zmax, and below is a report[/align][align=center]from our #1 MCF Sponsor [/align][align=center][/align][align=center]On your posted Subject[/align][align=center]Please read the below `if you are thinking about additives[/align][align=center][:-]
Just Say No to Aftermarket Additives[/align][align=center][/align]
The performance benefits of aftermarket additives are mostly unsubstantiated
[align=center]AMSOIL has long discouraged motorists from using any kind of aftermarket lubricant additive. After all, AMSOIL synthetic lubricants use the finest quality synthetic basestocks and additive systems. AMSOIL's response to the question "Should aftermarket additives or aftermarket products be added to AMSOIL motor oils?" is " No, you don't need them. AMSOIL motor oils are formulated under the strictest quality control standards to provide superior lubrication performance. Additives cost money and only detract from the quality of AMSOIL motor oils." Additionally, not only do they detract from the quality of the motor oil, but they can also be damaging to your engine.[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]A perfect example of why AMSOIL discourages use of aftermarket additives is the Federal Trade Commission's (FTC) recent lawsuit against zMax auto additives, seeking to halt false and misleading advertising and gain refunds for customers who purchased the products. According to the FTC, the enhanced performance benefits zMax claims its products provide are totally unsubstantiated, and in the same tests cited to support performance claims, motor oil treated with zMax actually produced more than twice as much bearing corrosion than motor oil by itself. They further allege that the three different zMax products- an engine additive, a fuel line additive and a transmission additive- are nothing more than tinted mineral oil.[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]The complaint states that since at least May of 1999, zMax has aired infomercials promoting its "Power System", a $39 package of three additives to be used in the engine, fuel line and transmission of automobiles. The infomercials are quite convincing, even going as far as featuring testimonials from various consumers and race car drivers making such claims as, "I was averaging about 22 miles to the gallon on the highway. I installed the zMax and so I jumped right up to about 28 miles per gallon" and "zMax guarantees a minimum of 10% gas mileage increase." Other advertising claims "zMax with LinKite has the scientific, CRC L38 proof it takes you car to the Max!" and 'Why zMax Works- Cuts carbon build-up on valve stems 66%; Lowers wear on valve stems 66%; Lowers wear on piston skirts 60%; Reduces blow-by leakage 17.7%; Increases combustion efficiency 9.25%; Lowers fuel consumption 8.5%- results of an independent CRC L38 test."[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]The CRC L38 test is a standard auto industry test which measures the bearing corrosion protection properties of motor oils. According to the complaint, in early 1997 an independent testing facility performed two CRC L38 tests of the zMa

Old 04-02-2008, 04:20 PM
rj
15 Year Member

Wow Space you certainly do your (well, it's not home so..) net work.

Old 04-03-2008, 10:13 AM

[align=center]
ORIGINAL: rj

Wow Space you certainly do your (well, it's not home so..) net work.

[/align][align=center]Thanks `R.J.,[/align][align=center]My college online course site has been down for two [/align][align=center]days. (Suppose to be `up soon: )[/align][align=center]I take breaks from my courses, and jump on2 the MCF.[/align][align=center]I'm always searching for something.[/align][align=center]I thought maybe you would consider being[/align][align=center]a rep for AMSOIL ?[/align][align=center]Have you every used their product ?[/align][align=center]Wish you & the reader of this a `happy.[/align][align=center][:-][/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center]MCF Sponsor[/align][align=center][:-][/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center]

Who uses Amsoil ? - ThumperTalk
Other than the fact its not easy to come by I'd like to know who uses It ,I can get it with no problem and.
www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?... - 138k - Similar pages
[ More results from www.thumpertalk.com ]
http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=624775[/align]AMSOIL Promotions Update: World's Fastest Cadillac Uses AMSO...
World's Fastest Cadillac Uses AMSOIL. Early last week we mentioned that Johnson's Hot Rod Shop would have a contender on the Bonneville Salt Flats. ...
amsoilupdate.blogspot.com/2007/08/worlds-fastest... - 60k - [URL=http://aolsearch.aol.com/aol/search?invocationType=similarPages.search&quer y=related%3Aamsoilupdate.blogspot.com%2F2007%2F08% 2Fworl

Old 04-03-2008, 11:59 AM
rj
15 Year Member

I know of other people who've used Amsoil, but I never have personally. They "say" it's a good product but I'm sure you ask anyone who's used Zmax and they will swear by it too.

Old 04-04-2008, 04:35 PM

its better to step up your oil change interval then to use additives... if your fuel system is getting dirty... change your fuel filter... and have your injectors professionally cleaned.

Old 04-04-2008, 04:39 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008

Simple rule of thumb:

If fuel and oil additives really worked, oil companies would already own the rights and add them to their fuel and oil.

Old 04-04-2008, 05:32 PM

Keep in mind too that they're just saying it and promoting it on tv because that is their sponsor- and its what they're paid to do. I don't think of those shows any different than watching a commercial.