Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

I Got A 2002 Monte Carlo LS 3.4

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2018, 10:03 AM
Default I Got A 2002 Monte Carlo LS 3.4

I Had A Machanic Look At My Motor And I Think My Oil Pump Went Out, So He Told Me That The Best Thing To Do Is To Pull The Whole Motor Out And I Was Wondering What Y’all Think ? And If You Have A 3.4 Motor For Sale Give Me A Price And Shipping I’m Trying To Have A Motor On Standby If I Need One..

Old 07-01-2018, 11:14 AM

If the oil pump did somehow break and you lost all oil pressure, then your mechanic is probably right. It doesn't take long to toast an engine without oil.

I'd think it would he worthwhile to do your own testing to confirm if it has oil pressure or not though. Not sure about the 3400, but on the 3800 you can unscrew the oil pressure sender and hook up a mechanical gauge.

Old 07-01-2018, 02:53 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I think we're missing a lot of info to this.
- You sad "I Think My Oil Pump Went Out", what makes you think that?
- You also said "I Had A Mechanic Look At My Motor" and "He Told Me That The Best Thing To Do Is To Pull The Whole Motor Out". What did he find that justifies all of this?

If you are getting a light for low oil pressure, this could be an issue with the Oil Pressure switch or it's wiring. The switch on the 3400 is EASY to get to and I advise using the socket for that switch. It's on the front of the engine, just below the exhaust (not to be confused with the knock sensor that is also near by). Every time I replaced one of these I have replaced on 3100/3400 engines, it was from above the engine and admittedly, by touch (I cannot see it, but can feel it). Takes about 5-10 minutes.
As Bumpin suggested, a mechanical pressure gauge could be installed to test for true pressure.

If it is truly the oil pump, assuming you have not driven on the engine with no oil pressure and no real damage was done, I am not sure you need to pull the motor.

Side note, all my years working with the 3100/3400 engines (they are 99% the same engine) and this goes back 20+ years for me with these engines, I never ran into nor heard of an oil pump failure.

If the engine is really in need of a rebuild, I would suggest looking for lower miles junk yard 3400 donor.

Old 07-01-2018, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
I think we're missing a lot of info to this.
- You sad "I Think My Oil Pump Went Out", what makes you think that?
- You also said "I Had A Mechanic Look At My Motor" and "He Told Me That The Best Thing To Do Is To Pull The Whole Motor Out". What did he find that justifies all of this?

If you are getting a light for low oil pressure, this could be an issue with the Oil Pressure switch or it's wiring. The switch on the 3400 is EASY to get to and I advise using the socket for that switch. It's on the front of the engine, just below the exhaust (not to be confused with the knock sensor that is also near by). Every time I replaced one of these I have replaced on 3100/3400 engines, it was from above the engine and admittedly, by touch (I cannot see it, but can feel it). Takes about 5-10 minutes.
As Bumpin suggested, a mechanical pressure gauge could be installed to test for true pressure.

If it is truly the oil pump, assuming you have not driven on the engine with no oil pressure and no real damage was done, I am not sure you need to pull the motor.

Side note, all my years working with the 3100/3400 engines (they are 99% the same engine) and this goes back 20+ years for me with these engines, I never ran into nor heard of an oil pump failure.

If the engine is really in need of a rebuild, I would suggest looking for lower miles junk yard 3400 donor.
I Was Getting The Low Oil Pressure One Day Every Time I Stop It Would pop up on my message center but it wouldn’t do it all the time so I told them about that and nothing changed I just stopped driving the car this is my first car I never had any problems with car besides for this but it was one day I had a emergency and I had to drive my car and go to the other side of town and it killed on me and it would turn over but soon as I hit the gas it would kill so I started thinking it was my fuel pump or fuel filter but like I said when he looked at my car because I turned it over for him and he heard how my motor Sound like it’s not knocking and like my whole motor was shaking and like I said I really don’t know I’m trying to learn but I’m just going off of what people telling me that’s all ..

Old 07-02-2018, 02:48 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

So the car now makes a knocking sound and is shaking?

When you say "killed on me", I assume you mean is stalled/stopped. Did you check the temp? I would assume that if there is no oil pressure, the hard friction might cause a temp problem.

No oil circulating and/or an overheat can cause the engine to possibly seize for good.

Reading over this, without seeing the car, I feel it is really difficult to recommend what to do. Ultimately, you need to have the car with a mechanic you can trust, that is going to be worth more advice then anyone hear at a keyboard can offer.

But if it is truly "pull the engine", given how common the 3400 is, I would consider a junk yard/low miles replacement. GM used these in TONS of v6 cars.