Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

i am going to creat a debate

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2016, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by monte07
when I did my trans pan drop I kind of cringed because of the mess it can make. imo I think it is what most do on not doing it because of it.
The note above about using a fluid transfer pump helps eliminate much of the mess. You basically suck the fluid out the dipstick hole. You won't get it all, but it greatly reduces the mess.

I also like to lower the pan from one side only to help direct the fluid versus just taking all the bolts out at once.

Between those two things, it really shouldn't be any more messy than an oil change.

Old 11-11-2016, 01:05 AM

I'm did Tranny Fluid when I got the car at 60K and every 30K since.
I recently started sweatin' the Juice-box on her, though.
Eng Code PO1811
I don't know what to do, now!

All other fluids are changed at least annually.

Every time I do Brakes, ... I push new Brake Fluid through the system.
Engine Oil: Every 5,000
Power Steering: Annually
Coolant: Annually. Flushed-out DexCool @ 60K -- Got New Lower Intake Manifold Gaskets -- been running 60/40 Prestone in it.

Here she is, today:
Nov. 11th, 2016

[img][/img]

Old 12-20-2016, 09:52 AM
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I do agree rickomatic the brake fluid and the power steering fluid is also the other two types of fluid that is over looked on a car. when a break line breaks it is usually is the breakdown of the fluid and moisture. same as the power steering fluid. the fluid tends to start breaking down plus moisture break down the lines in both. it is some thing I noticed with the trans lines with our monte carlos the freaking plastic lines they have. right now I am figuring out how to make them metal because the line on me broke again a second time. I would have thought the new one would have lasted longer than the old one. granted I am a stickler on changing fluid because I have a cougar xr7 over 387k with the original powertrain in it. other than changing the rubber break lines on the breaks and radiator hoses it still runs like a champ. but a stickler on changing the fluid on 2 to 3k mile on oil change and 60 on merc V

Old 12-22-2016, 08:10 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by monte07
it is some thing I noticed with the trans lines with our monte carlos the freaking plastic lines they have. right now I am figuring out how to make them metal because the line on me broke again a second time.
I assume you mean rubber? The transmission cooling lines going from the trans to the radiator and back have a small part that is rubber. I just had to replace mine this year because the rubber was breaking down (nothing to do with the fluid, has to do with rubber just aging) and it was seeping trans fluid from the rubber. That rubber section has to be there to allow slight amounts of flex between the transmission and the radiator. If it was all steel line, then eventually the tiny flex/movement it has will create a hole or completely break the line.

You could probably cut out the rubber section, flare the metal ends and then use replacement rubber hose from the autoparts store (sold by the foot) and double clamp it and be done. Might be an easier fix if that section keeps failing.

Old 12-25-2016, 04:09 PM
15 Year Member

mine are plastic and rubber mix the plastic are the tips that connect to the radiator and the transmission plus there is a hump on the one that goes to the top of the radiator that broke for the second time. this time around I will finally add a small filter there to help the system I have a trans cooler connected as well. the added filter will add insurance if the transmission ever goes it wont go through the cooler and the radiator.

Old 12-25-2016, 04:12 PM
15 Year Member

I also wanted to ask has any one thought on changing out the transmission pan to the type with the nut on it to help keep it a little cleaner when doing the trans change?

I found one from autozone that has a nut on it for 45$ not bad even though it does not have the vents on it.

Old 01-07-2017, 01:49 PM
15 Year Member

I replaced the lines now the nuts on the trans line on Monday when it gets a little warmer. the lines are the metal rubber mix it just frustrates me when replace one part the same part breaks again.

Old 01-10-2017, 10:12 AM
15 Year Member

never understood why automakers never put these on there transmissions that nut actually helps out a lot when changing the trans fluid. instead of hopping on not making a mess. never understood why they didn't.

Attached Thumbnails i am going to creat a debate-20170107_141819.jpg  
Old 01-10-2017, 10:34 AM

ya have to drop the pan to change the filter anyhoo I guess... but yes a drain plug would be very handy

Old 01-10-2017, 01:25 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member

I do like the drain plug feature for servicing the tranny. Even retrofitted my 96 GMC's pan with one. My Monte's tranny gets "Redline D6" fluid. Bet I don't even get 15k to 20k on it before it is changed out. Running factory cooler and 2 Earls coolers on it to keep the temps down.

Name:  DSCF8073_zpsozeyormb.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  627.6 KB