Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

How to reset engine oil change and low tire pressure

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 08:58 AM
Default How to reset engine oil change and low tire pressure

I changed the oil on my 2004 Monte Carlo SS which I just bought. How do I reset the "change oil" lights? Also, the "low tire pressure is always coming on" I checked them all 2 days ago and inflated all to 37, still on, today I inflated all to 40, still on. Could it be a sensor rather than a PSI issue?

Old 03-27-2012, 09:00 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Both are done through the radio. Key On, turn the radio off, hold the DISP button until the options come through.

Scroll through with seek buttons, then use the 1 and 2 (prev and next) buttons to go through the sub menu. You will see reset for each, and hit the DISP button to reset.

Put your tires back to the recommended 30-32 PSI.

Old 03-27-2012, 09:09 AM

30-32? wow. The tires say max is 44 so I thought they needed to be close to that. Well here is the problem. The idiot I bought the car from changed the radio and put an aftermarket CD player. Then few months later he decided to remove the chime controller because it was 2 loud. He said that after he removed that piece (which I still have in the glove box, a rectangular black plastic piece)), the CD player didn't work anymore. So, what am I supposed to do now?

Old 03-27-2012, 09:25 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Now you have to do it the other way :p

Get in the car, key on, and pull the headlight switch 1 click out and push it back in. Do this 3 times in 5 seconds. That should do the tire pressure reset.

Then push the gas pedal ALL THE WAY DOWN, and let it all the way back out, do that 3 times in 5 seconds and that should fix the oil light.

Since you have the chime removed, you won't hear the ding saying it was done correctly.

Tires say MAX PSI, that is MAX psi when the tires are hot. That is where they will burst if they are at or above that pressure. That is only the specs for THAT TIRE. On your door jam is a placard, that will tell you the proper pressures that was tested FOR THE CAR. The weight, the distribution, everything. This is a formula that car makers figure out to get the best possible ride quality, tire wear, gas mileage, etc.

NOW, if you are rotating your own tires and you notice that the sides are wearing a little faster than the middle you can add a couple of PSI because of the uneven wear, or if they are wearing in the middle instead of the sides, you can decrease the PSI a little, but always use the door placard as the starting point.

Old 03-27-2012, 09:48 AM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

As far as the Radio goes you could go back to a stock stereo if you wanted but it would have to be programmed at the dealership or you could just replace with a new aftermarket unit and the proper connectors to make the steering wheel controls and all the bells work.

Old 05-19-2013, 01:55 PM

Great info ChibiBlackSheep I think I missed this tidbit in my owners manual LOL. I had a slow leak, ran my tire over to get it fixed, but couldn't find the reset button.

I never would have thought of using the radio to set things in the PCM... I even have HP tuners software and was looking in there, but couldn't find anything on the tire pressure sensors...

thanks again!