Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Home Stretch for the Whipple Build

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 03:57 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Now that's custom right there. Your build makes most look like child's play lol

Did you get the headers fixed up yet?

Old 02-20-2015, 08:02 PM
15 Year Member

Nope, been crazy at work, and went to Vegas on the slow weekend- so I haven't done squat in the garage. Hoping to get wiring knocked out this weekend.

Old 02-20-2015, 10:09 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member

Sweet. At least ya got a nice trip to Vegas!!

I hear ya man, still haven't messed with my headers yet. MAF been giving me issues...I should go ahead and upgrade, but I'm not there yet.

Old 03-16-2015, 02:13 PM
Default tb

If you don't mind me asking what is the price tag on the tb adapter. I am trying to get one as well for my 102mm tb setup. Glad to know you are still going through with the build. I am currently getting my custom bar and plate ic done for mine with a 2.5 inch tall core.

Old 04-26-2015, 11:51 PM
15 Year Member

So I took an extra couple days off this weekend to get a 5 day weekend to try and get her finished up. I've got 1 day left, so we'll see how far I get. My guess is that she'll be ready to fire up by the end of the day tomorrow, but I'll probably have to use next weekend to make her drivable (rebuild both axles, replace all of the wheel studs with new ARP units, change trans fluid/fix leaking trans pan gasket, add hash marks to Lokar dipstick.

Major projects completed so far this weekend include:
-IC pump wired up via a relay, just need to add a switch in the cabin (or turn it on via the ignition).
-Aeromotive fuel pump speed controller mounted in trunk and wired up, just need to connect tach signal.
-Throttle body adapter complete and mounted.
-TB IAC & TPS mounting issues fixed.
-TOG crossover re-welded and installed (finally! that took more than half a day just for the one project...).
-Boost bypass valve mounted, cut all tubing/adapters to fit.
-All fuel lines finished up and connected, just needs one more pass through them all with an AN wrench to make sure they're all snug.
-More wiring under the hood done.

I've got a few other partially completed projects as well, but they're not quite on the 'done' list. Here is what is left:

-Finish underhood wiring (electric water pump re-wire, lights, IC fans, tach wire).
-Mount throttle body
-Make throttle cable bracket / FPR support
-Build something to hold catch cans
-Build support for IC lines under snout (right now they want to sag and touch the SC belt tensioner - I just need to build something simple to keep them up until they get further towards the side of the car).
-Finish vacuum line routing (PCV, FPR, BBV)
-Install intake system (will need some minor trimming / adjustment, should build some kind of support).
-Exhaust? Right now it's just the standard TOG downpipe piece that stops at the bottom of the firewall after making the 45 degree turn. I did notice it mounts either way, and if you flip it over, it points straight at the ground instead of down the tunnel - that might just make a good last minute option
-Finish interior wiring / switches
-Upload tune

Couple pictures of the completed throttle body adapter with the BBV and its lines attached:

Name:  20150426_210138.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  255.8 KB
Name:  20150426_210220.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  208.4 KB
Name:  20150426_210311.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  257.0 KB

Originally Posted by gtp89
If you don't mind me asking what is the price tag on the tb adapter. I am trying to get one as well for my 102mm tb setup.
The price was very reasonable considering they had to draw it up in Solidworks from my parts / sketches, and cut it from a solid block of aluminum. I can't say much more than that

Last edited by bumpin96monte; 04-26-2015 at 11:55 PM.
Old 04-27-2015, 11:15 PM

Nice Work Bumpin,i wish I had the skill and dedication you do,but for you its not only skill but passion as well,you have done tons of work to this car,do you ever plan on selling this car and whats your limits on it? how much further will you go with this project?

Old 04-28-2015, 12:12 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member

What you do in one long weekend takes a shop 2 weeks to complete. And I have to say your throttle body is in and of itself a thing of beauty. That there is one hard core piece of work to have had fabricated and nice to have off your TO DO list. I don't doubt this will be one of the sickest 5th gen builds ever assembled. The thinking, designing, planning, custom fabricating and assembling going into your Monte is truly worthy of being made into print in a magazine. So that the masses can know why your Monte's one off build makes it one of envy and carnal desire to those who may know the car. Best of luck as you continue to knock out items on the list!

Old 04-28-2015, 04:56 PM

Great looking combination you are putting together man.

Out of curiosity on your intercooler, what size lines did you end up running to the heat exchanger and reservoir? Also, I didnt see it mentioned, are you running an ice box or anything inline with the heat exchanger?

Good luck on the test fire.

Old 04-28-2015, 05:47 PM
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by ZIPPY02
Best of luck as you continue to knock out items on the list!
Thanks for the kind words Zippy! It definitely helps motivate me to keep going. She is unfortunately a ways off from being magazine worthy. I've got a few mistakes from my fast and furious teenage days to fix before I'd be comfortable showing her off to the world like that. At least the people on here know how long I've had her and that some things that are stupid now were the hot thing 10 years ago, so they're not as quick to judge her based on past choices.

Old 04-28-2015, 06:02 PM
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by bfurches
Out of curiosity on your intercooler, what size lines did you end up running to the heat exchanger and reservoir? Also, I didnt see it mentioned, are you running an ice box or anything inline with the heat exchanger?

Good luck on the test fire.
All fittings and lines are 3/4" throughout.

I do have a larger reservoir in the trunk with a large lid that I could put ice in. The tank probably holds a couple gallons, plus all the fluid in the lines and cores. I don't really have plans to run ice though, I didnt install any sort of fast drain valve to let me quickly drain off fluid to allow space for ice blocks and I also didn't install any sort of screen over the tank outlet to prevent chunks of ice from getting sucked into the pump.

If I had to, I could probably drain it via the heat exchanger petcock and use large blocks of ice to keep the small chunks to a minimum, but I plan to use this mostly for just street cruising and screwing around.

On a side note, I did make more progress yesterday, but not quite enough to fire her up yet. My guess is that'll happen next weekend since I've got both days to myself to work on her. Biggest surprise was the front O2 sensor wiring harness. As I was feeding it into place, I felt a rough spot on the harness. Fished everything back out and apparently the harness made contact with my old headers some time ago. In a 3" spot, the split loom tubing was fused into the electrical tape, and 3 of the 4 wires had burn spots down to the copper (which had started to corrode from sitting so long). Worst one was about 3/4" of exposed copper on one side of the wire! Definitely a pain to go through and replace it with so much already assembled, but at least now it's right again. On top of these headers being coated, I still added some of that heat sleeve to the bottom half of the harness to prevent that from happening again...

Quick Reply: Home Stretch for the Whipple Build