Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Hiding place ???

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 08:15 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by 1996Monte_Carlo
why stay with stock wires? There is nothing wrong with 8mm wires at all... thats what i run on my 3.1 and i noticed a torque difference
Because there is no upgrade over the stock system. MSD wires/coils/everything just doesn't work as well nor last as long as stock.

It's not until you are putting down impressive numbers that the stock system even remotely needs help.

The ONLY upgrade of a wire would be the PRJ wires, only if you are running a copper plug that needs to be changed often, as those wire boots are very good.

Old 01-24-2012, 05:48 PM
1 Year Member

Well, plugs all in, coils replaced as well as wires. Also installed the STBs, took her out for first spin, as all the snow we got over the weekend melted. I can't say I saw a hugely noticeable difference in handling, but could feel that it was a little tighter. Right before swapping on the new ignition parts the engine light came back on. Will have to go out and run the scan tool to see what I got. Looking forward to doing CAI, new struts/springs and wheels/tires when income taxes get done.

On a different subject, as I've said before, the car has about 144,000 miles. I am pretty sure that it has never had the tranny fluid changed. Now years ago when I worked in lube shop, we wouldn't change this fluid, saying it could actually lead to failure. Does anyone know this to be factual, or was it simply a cover-their-*** move? I'd like to change mine, but if it can actually do more harm, guess I'll pass.

Old 01-24-2012, 06:35 PM

I've heard for a neglected high mileage automatic tranny it's safer to drop the pan and change the oil and filter than it is to have the full flush done. Unfortunately you don't exchange all the fluid that way. I'm curious to see what others opinions are on this.

Old 01-24-2012, 07:37 PM
Zen
3 Year Member1 Year Member

There have been time when flushing high mileage trannys(100k+) that the tranny fails shortly after.A lot of shops don't want to be responsable to fix it if there's a problem after flushing.

Old 01-25-2012, 01:17 AM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Definitely stuck next to the back of the engine/oil pan and the trans clutch pack housing. Good luck getting it out. It's a PITA even from the underside.

Old 01-25-2012, 01:24 PM
1 Year Member

Honestly, I believe it fell off when I took it out for a quick run around the block Monday night (just a quick 2 min drive). I just got another plug, as I wanted to get it done with. I went up the road that night, then heard a ping under my seat, figuring it musta been that finally wiggling out.

Old 01-25-2012, 06:24 PM

I hope so. A pretty hard left turn should be able to throw it out. But if not and it's still stuck in there it would wreak havoc on that back bank sensor retarding all kinds of timing and killing your performance and gas mileage.

Old 01-25-2012, 06:35 PM
1 Year Member

Really?? Hmmm, that may explain the stumble and misfire it felt like it had right up until that fell out. I know that was what the noise was, wasn't just a noise, actually felt the "ping" off the floor pan. Has been fine yesterday, and today on the trip here to school.

Old 01-25-2012, 06:50 PM

I'd bet money that's exactly the culprit.

Old 01-25-2012, 06:59 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by PacerSS
I hope so. A pretty hard left turn should be able to throw it out. But if not and it's still stuck in there it would wreak havoc on that back bank sensor retarding all kinds of timing and killing your performance and gas mileage.
I've been following this thread since the start and was wondering if you were going to find the plug? Now I'm not sure how it would wreak havoc on sensors etc. and hurt the performance of the car if it's just stuck somewhere? Sorry for maybe sounding pretty stupid......

Quick Reply: Hiding place ???